Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

901 - 920 of 952 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
@ Alfat106 Thx for info. Went ahead and ordered the AULTEL 519 via Amazon (but shipment pending).

@ Rodny ....thx for tip! I’m inpatient waiting for Amazon shipment and so went to local Firestone as you suggested for the data pull (counter help was confused, but an hour later and $30 charge, I finally got it).
Trying to execute quickly due to AUD to $ exchange rate.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Alrighty, he validated my CAL# and all good-to-go........order completed! I’ve downloaded his users guide and Raptor setup files from the follow on email he sent and for future use, pending his shipment and it’s arrival now. Add me to the FJ Koala (Raptor) power club..........G’day mates!!!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
It's on its way
Most recent update
International departure - enroute to USA
BRISBANE QLD
Date & time

·
Registered
38 Posts
After four weeks, she was released from the shop, albeit with the job incomplete. The first thing I did before driving back was get the ECU read for the required data to order the RT. Fortunately, one is available, but I must ship the unit for mapping. Since this hampers driving, I must devise plans B & C over the indetermined hiatus. Still, this gives me time to commission cat-back build. So which shall it be, JBA, aFe, Borla, Corsa? Which best suits the RT without rattling nearby windows? Flow-through preferred, but not exclusively. Have read all pertinent threads here and on other sites, but have encountered mostly fan boys & marketing propaganda, sometimes accompanied by confounding, impertinent yet pretty graphs and charts.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Also, has anyone purchased a separate, redundant ECU explicitly to send it to far off climes for mapping? I would retain functionality were I to do that, but what likely ramifications might I expect aside from added expense?

·
Registered
186 Posts
TT,

1. Exhaust - I'm about to do this. Most of the bolt on exhaust systems only make your FJ louder and they move the torque curve higher in the RPM range. Not what I want. The studies I read indicate that a muffler that is a flow through design will produce the best velocities at all RPMs. I talked to a couple of local shops that I used before with good results and they like the FlowMaster 50 series, not too loud, and better low RPM torque. I had a Magnaflow installed, it's a mistake, and it's coming off. I lost noticable low RPM torque. It's not a matter of back pressure. It's a matter of proper exhaust flow over a range of velocities. Ed Hanson out the door with FlowMaster 50 = $425.00. That's what his daughter runs on her Taco and she has our engine. The pull from 2000RPM is noticeable.

Update: I talked to Ed Hanson and he said it's not just the muffler. He will do a full CAT back with the FlowMaster that has stepped tubing, 2.25" to 2.5" to 3". That's what his daughter is running on the Taco. He will spend the time to tune the exhaust to get it perfect = $425.00. Stainless is extra.

2. New a computer will run you $700.00. From a junk yard about $375.00 if you can find one. The racing guys scoop them up and the rear e-lockers too. I believe you have to take the FJ in to Yota and have them load the firmware for your model and year.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Alrighty, he validated my CAL# and all good-to-go........order completed! I’ve downloaded his users guide and Raptor setup files from the follow on email he sent and for future use, pending his shipment and it’s arrival now. Add me to the FJ Koala (Raptor) power club..........G’day mates!!!
You will get some error messages when you first load the PG software on your computer. Ignore. If the main UI boots it's working. Ask Baz about what you should be careful of, like reloading the original firmware before trying to load something new. I practiced this a few times just to be sure that I could do it while I'm traveling.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Steph, thanks for the reply. I am not likely to visit San Diego, not even for a great exhaust. Might he know someone near Philadelphia or NYC? There’s plenty of boneheads and shoddy shops around, and I’m tired of wasting time, money & cuss words. I simply don’t know anyone whose competence I can trust. My OG gear head buddies are gone or dead. We seek the same result so I’ll revisit the FlowMaster 50 series. Junk yards in these parts largely have disappeared the last fifteen years or so, but I probably no longer would embark on snipe hunts anyway. I’ll price ECUs, but the aggravation and expense likely are better spent on other projects such as cat-backs and CAI quests. Setbacks and readjustments are well accommodated these days. Remember the frenetic pace in commerce, competition and free enterprise of yore? Will try to get the FJ systems done before I must stand in line in hope of getting a brick of government cheese.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Steph, thanks for the reply. I am not likely to visit San Diego, not even for a great exhaust. Might he know someone near Philadelphia or NYC? There’s plenty of boneheads and shoddy shops around, and I’m tired of wasting time, money & cuss words. I simply don’t know anyone whose competence I can trust. My OG gear head buddies are gone or dead. We seek the same result so I’ll revisit the FlowMaster 50 series. Junk yards in these parts largely have disappeared the last fifteen years or so, but I probably no longer would embark on snipe hunts anyway. I’ll price ECUs, but the aggravation and expense likely are better spent on other projects such as cat-backs and CAI quests. Setbacks and readjustments are well accommodated these days. Remember the frenetic pace in commerce, competition and free enterprise of yore? Will try to get the FJ systems done before I must stand in line in hope of getting a brick of government cheese.
TT,

Govt cheese and crackers. Ever have K rations? Yum! Yum! 🤮

No cost to me, Ed is thinking of doing a Y in the muffler like my other V6s. He will not charge me extra to test it. I'm inclined to go with whatever produces the widest torque band and I trust Ed. He's been doing hot rod exhausts for years. I can send you pictures and dimensions when I'm done. You can also call Ed and see if he knows anyone in NYC. Seriously, He's been around and did all the exhaust systems when El Cajon still had a stock car track. Here's the link:
Ed Hanson's Muffler Service | Where All Your Pipe Dreams Come True

Step

·
Registered
83 Posts
^^^^^^ Me too. (Inner voice: Patience, Grasshopper, patience.)
It's hard to have patience especially when you got plenty of time on your hands right now. I guess I could start drilling holes in the dash to run dedicated charger cords for the action/ dash cam and the bluetooth gps unit.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Order mine on the 17th made it to New York on Thursday 19th and it was delivered today. I'm in Alabama 😁

·
Registered
83 Posts
Order mine on the 17th made it to New York on Thursday 19th and it was delivered today. I'm in Alabama
Paid the day after for mine. Maybe it will get here this week sometime. Unless they stick it in quarantine haha I'm right here beside you in ga

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does the PG3 get delivered via USPS on the US side? Mine is on the way, but my local post office can be a bit of a PITA.

901 - 920 of 952 Posts