Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

921 - 940 of 986 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is there any way to pull find the good info on this Raptor Tune without having to read through 47 pages?

I've upgraded my air intake, and am probably going to do an exhaust upgrade. Will this Raptor Tune work with those mods?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is there any way to pull find the good info on this Raptor Tune without having to read through 47 pages?

I've upgraded my air intake, and am probably going to do an exhaust upgrade. Will this Raptor Tune work with those mods?
Short of long. Yes. Go visit their page. You will see that it will work.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
G'Day SP,
the PG3 will be delivered by DHL
Cheers
Baz
Hmmm not sure if that’s completely accurate mate (DHL). Mine was shipped via Australian Post (Received by Australia Post GORDONVALE QLD Column, event date and time, Tue 24 Mar • 1:48am)
than appears to be being delivered via local USPS (according to international tracker app) although nothing on their tracker as of yet). Maybe the current global situation affected their usual shipping methods.

·
Premium Member
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #926
Hmmm not sure if that’s completely accurate mate (DHL). Mine was shipped via Australian Post (Received by Australia Post GORDONVALE QLD Column, event date and time, Tue 24 Mar • 1:48am)
than appears to be being delivered via local USPS (according to international tracker app) although nothing on their tracker as of yet). Maybe the current global situation affected their usual shipping methods.
G'Day TX,
you could well be right, I know Raptor were sending them DHL, but with the covid situation perhaps has had to switch to mail..... I'll check with Tim.
Thanks for the news...
hope yours arrives soon.
Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
190 Posts

So I promised TT that I would share what I know after tuning my exhaust system. Today we installed 3 different mufflers on my truck. Ed Hanson has a custom exhaust shop. He's very good!

We started with a FlowMaster 40 series oval pn 43041. It was a complete dud. I ran the truck for 10 miles and it felt like I was towing an anchor. But it was very quiet!

Next we tried a MagnaFlow 10416, 4" x 4" round with 2.5" inlets and outlets. It was louder than my original MagaFlow and it centered all of the torque in the mid range. Not a bad choice but similar performance to what I removed.

Last we installed a MagnaFlow 12259. This is a 5" x 8" x 24" oval muffler with 3" inlets and outlets. Ed swagged the ends down to fit over my original pipes. This model has a thicker muffler case and its fairly mild until you get on the gas. Then it growls. This created very noticeable low and mid RPM torque increases but left my high RPM torque alone. So my 2010 FJ with the Raptor PT and this muffler work really well together. Yahoo success factor an 8 out of 10.

How did we get here: Ed suggested that we had slightly changed the tuning point of the stock exhaust to match the cam angles from the new Raptor Tune. He used a muffler that had a slightly larger cavity and more flow than the stock muffler. The original tubing is quite good and he did not want to change the size. In his words " You have gone about as far as you can without serious dyno time".

I'm really happy with the results and spent $282.00 out the door. Ed allowed me to try 3 mufflers. In the end it was the one he thought would work given the tune. Now I'm having trouble keeping my 33" tires planted. Oh darn! Will this increase my fuel economy? Not. Who knows. It's hard to keep the truck under 80MPH. Self control problems...:giggle:

Now, should I do the intake????

MagnaFlow 5" X 8" Oval Center/Offset Straight Through Performance Muff

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks guys for the replies. Something that is very important for how we drive in the desert is being able to downshift when we want. One of my biggest problems with the FJs automatic is that if I'm in second and I need to climb a dune, I need to shift it into first gear and then decelerate until the RPMs drop below 2000 before it will actually downshift. I could kick whoever at Toyota who decided that was a good idea. If you're trying to build speed, decelerating first is the last thing you want to do. Sooo, does this Raptor tune make it so I can downshift into 1st gear when I'm above 2k RPM in 2nd?
Thanks

·
Registered
190 Posts
So just installed my tune and dove the fj around the block and so far the big difference iI can feel is the shifting.👌👍
Remember to turn off traction control and put some 91 Octane in the tank before you do any full throttle testing. After 50 miles you should feel some significant changes.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks guys for the replies. Something that is very important for how we drive in the desert is being able to downshift when we want. One of my biggest problems with the FJs automatic is that if I'm in second and I need to climb a dune, I need to shift it into first gear and then decelerate until the RPMs drop below 2000 before it will actually downshift. I could kick whoever at Toyota who decided that was a good idea. If you're trying to build speed, decelerating first is the last thing you want to do. Sooo, does this Raptor tune make it so I can downshift into 1st gear when I'm above 2k RPM in 2nd?
Thanks
I just tested mine and it does shift from 2nd to 1st if I'm under 30 MPH. It's pretty violent because your going to wide open throttle when it down shifts. 2nd gear already provides a lot of torque with my tune installed. I'm just wondering about how useful this is because when I drop to 1st from 2nd the truck is trying to go sideways. Perhaps I need to install the amaclach locker mod???

Yesterday I drove 75 miles with the new muffler installed and drove over the same route again this AM. The ECU has definitely adapted. Power is way up between 2000RPM and 4000RPM. There is no longer a dead spot between 2000 and 3500. Power is on demand all the time in every gear. The truck feels way different, but it's still tame enough to daily drive.

Like Deb and Baz said, they are running the BAM CAT back with their tunes and it works great for them. The Magnaflow 12259 works great for me. If you don't have a shop that can custom tune it's probably safer to go with the BAM CAT back.

·
Premium Member
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #935
Does the PG3 get delivered via USPS on the US side? Mine is on the way, but my local post office can be a bit of a PITA.
G'Day SP,
Sorry for the mis info earlier, Raptor are sending them out by mail at the moment.
Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #937
Thanks
G'day Ek,
the short answer is not really / nope.
I asked Raptor to check and clarify to be sure.
the answer is that Yoda designed it not to be forced into 1st to protect the transmission .... makes sense ...
they are looking to see if the shift parameters can be tweaked more - to allow this ... I'll let you know the answer when known. If it can be done you would need to agree to a liability waiver with Raptor ...as the risk to your transmission/drive train would be high.

Having said that.... to gain speed in the sand...you probably won't need 1st anymore ...the extra power and better shift points gained with the RT, will more than likely negate the need to hard shift down to first .... I'd expect it will just power up the dune in 2nd ..easily ....

Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
16 Posts
What's your gearing? You shouldn't be in first gear to climb anything (IMO).
I see, everyone dune bashing in the UAE has been doing it wrong. Please tell me the correct way to climb a dune. I've only made about 90 trips by now. We are usually driving in 4Lo but it limits top speed. If I could drive in 4hi it would make things a little easier.

·
Registered
16 Posts
G'day Ek,
the short answer is not really / nope.
I asked Raptor to check and clarify to be sure.
the answer is that Yoda designed it not to be forced into 1st to protect the transmission .... makes sense ...
they are looking to see if the shift parameters can be tweaked more - to allow this ... I'll let you know the answer when known. If it can be done you would need to agree to a liability waiver with Raptor ...as the risk to your transmission/drive train would be high.

Having said that.... to gain speed in the sand...you probably won't need 1st anymore ...the extra power and better shift points gained with the RT, will more than likely negate the need to hard shift down to first .... I'd expect it will just power up the dune in 2nd ..easily ....

Cheers
Baz
Thanks Baz, we typically drive in 4Lo if we are driving hard, but I prefer to drive in 4hi but it makes thinks tricky for the reasons stated above. I've made many day trips of 3 to 4 hours driving in 4 lo with the engine floored and redlined 30% of the time. You really need the full power of the 1grfe to be doing what we're doing. I agree with you that Toyota limited downshifting to 1st to protect the transmission, so instead we are driving in 4lo 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Here's a video from my friends FJ. He's driving in 4lo and is often redlined:
Another friend shot this from his jeep, but the 4Js are often redlined in 4lo to drive like this:

If he can get the transmission to shift into 1st so it goes to say 5k RPM, I think I can get a handful of people interested in buying this tune. What I mean is, you shift it to 1st, and as soon as the RPMs

·
Registered
16 Posts
Like Deb and Baz said, they are running the BAM CAT back with their tunes and it works great for them. The Magnaflow 12259 works great for me. If you don't have a shop that can custom tune it's probably safer to go with the BAM CAT back.
I haven't heard about the BAM catback. I may need to have them fabricate an exhaust for me. I'm not sure what is available out here.

921 - 940 of 986 Posts