Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1001 - 1020 of 1061 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,001
G'Day Step,
truth be told, you don't need 100 .... the HP tune is great with 93/94 hi octane gas....
The AFT is also great with 93/94 ....
Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
46 Posts
G'Day Step,
truth be told, you don't need 100 .... the HP tune is great with 93/94 hi octane gas....
The AFT is also great with 93/94 ....
Cheers
Baz
Howdy Baz.......(patiently awaiting it’s arrival)...But just so I understand this correct:

Tune AFT can run fuels from: 89 Octane and Up

And

Tune PT can run fuels from: => 91 Octane on BUT 93 Octane on UP is the preferred fuel

As you mentioned earlier so running the Tune PT with 89 to 90 Octane would be bad?

And we’ve got a few gas stations that are Ethanol free with 87 / 89 / 90 Octane ratings (Ethanol free) available......thus which Tune (AFT or PT) for this ethanol free stuff would you (or Raptor recommend) I’ll defer to them but thinking you may know)?

Just trying to get this straight as I’ve ordered both Tunes (however will probably just run Tune PT more often over AFT) but occasionally HouseHold6 will be driving the FJ and on a fill up may forget to put Premium fuel while the Tune PT is loaded.....(I’m thinking from here on out anytime she needs to put fuel in it, I’ll be ensuring she just adds Premium to be safe).

·
Desert Moderator
6,480 Posts
Octane rating is the fuel's resistance to knocking (ping). It has no bearing on how good the fuel is for power (except how far the timing can be advanced). Yes. you'll get more power from pure dino fuel (It is more calorific) but don't neglect the octane rating - that is the most important part for the raptor tune. If you have the PT on, and you have a choice of 93 with ethanol or 89 pure dino, you should select the 93, or roll back to AFT or stock.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Howdy Baz.......(patiently awaiting it’s arrival)...But just so I understand this correct:

And

Tune PT can run fuels from: => 91 Octane on BUT 93 Octane on UP is the preferred fuel

As you mentioned earlier so running the Tune PT with 89 to 90 Octane would be bad?

And we’ve got a few gas stations that are Ethanol free with 87 / 89 / 90 Octane ratings (Ethanol free) available......thus which Tune (AFT or PT) for this ethanol free stuff would you (or Raptor recommend) I’ll defer to them but thinking you may know)?

Just trying to get this straight as I’ve ordered both Tunes (however will probably just run Tune PT more often over AFT) but occasionally HouseHold6 will be driving the FJ and on a fill up may forget to put Premium fuel while the Tune PT is loaded.....(I’m thinking from here on out anytime she needs to put fuel in it, I’ll be ensuring she just adds Premium to be safe).
So I'm back on 91 Octane, USA Shell, with the TRD intake, and the PT loaded. I ran the FJ hard three times uphill to the point where the exhaust was crackling. No issues at all other than lots of power. So I took it on the freeway for about 20 miles of spirited driving. Tons of power between 2000 and 5000 RPM. Tim was right about the intake. I will keep the AFT ready for when I'm forced to run lower octanes, but the PT is here to stay. Anyone want to go for a ride PM me. I will show you how different the tunes are. On my FJ the differences are big.

Pump gas

In the United States gas stations describe the types of gasoline based on the Pump Octane Number (PON). That number is the average between RON and MON. This causes many problems.

If a fuel is 98 RON then it will be 93 PON -> 93 PUMP
If a fuel is 95 RON and 87 MON then it will be 91 PON -> 91 PUMP

AUS = RON
USA = PON

·
Premium Member
11,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,005

And

g'Day TX,
the official Raptor position is to only use 93/94 octane with the PT ... this is in part to protect themselves legally... but also the tune itself is designed to run hi octane gas. Altho' with the Yoda engine management it will probably run on lower octane without too much risk, as the ECU will retard ignition and "de-tune" ...to protect the engine if it detects a knock ...etc... with a bit less power...etc.... I would not personally run the PT with less than hi octane fuel, except in an emergency.

The AFT can run all and any fuels ... safely ... but why you would use ethanol is beyond me, unless it was another emergency.... Personally I run hi octane fuel with the AFT ..and happy with my performance.

I guess to a degree it is mute - legally - you would have a hard time going to court with this ...through International Law etc.... so its not really relevant or effective...

Knowing the risk ... its really up to the user to decide ....

Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
My new tune arrived and I installed it literally in a matter of minutes. My FJ lives outside, and since it was 27F, I warmed it up a bit before I turned it off and hooked the gadget to the OBD port. After it installed itself and the gadget was disconnected in accordance with instructions, I took the FJ for a short spin. The roads still have some ice patches, which is aways fun as you try to dodge them, or having failed that effort, skate across them with VSC chattering like a demented monkey. We also are having gusty winds up to about 20mph (per my own anemometer) so I couldn't get a lot out of just driving it. However, it pulled steadily and strongly up to 65 without any shifting on the on-ramp of the local highway. Very nice and smooth. Taking off from dead stop and slow speed acceleration/deceleration seem much smoother to the seat of my pants.

I think what I have enjoyed the most about this upgrade is the no hassle manner in which it was accomplished. Raptor did their part professionally, two sovereign postal services did their part in spite of the current global crisis, and the ease of use for the device and installing the flash was simple. Dang idjits such as myself can easily unleash the kraken inside the otherwise stolid FJ Cruiser.

·
Registered
221 Posts
G'Day,
As stated in the general thread...what did I do To my FJ....

fitted a Raptor Engine and Transmission ECU flash to Bozo yesterday.

Coupla extra bits of info to try to centralise info.

1. This ECU flash has been developed DU by Raptor, for the Dual VVTI 1GR engine, for the plus 2010 models.

2. No affiliation with Raptor, just a happy customer.

3. 4 tunes available.
stage 1 - stock FJ running 91 RON gas
stage 2 - modified FJ running 91 RON gas - mods to airbox and exhaust
stage 3 - stock FJ running 95 RON gas
stage 4 - modified FJ running 95 RON gas - mods to airbox and exhaust

DU, we have 3 levels of fuel
standard ULP = 91 ron
Super ULP = 95 ron
Premium ULP = 98 ron
Not sure what or how that relates to US gas.... ( we also have ethanol blends etc)

4. Measurements are in kw HP, not BHP.

5. Test and development FJ was a 2011 bone stock AT.

6. 1 method are offered by Raptor to obtain the flash....
buy the Powergate 3, pull your stock DAT file off the ECU, send it to them via email, they will modify the file and send it back to you with flash... upload this to your ECU ...done .... you have the ability to switch back to stock at your will as you have two DAT files, stock and modified.

7. The modified DAT is locked to your vehicle, as is the Powergate, so you cannot share it across other FJ's.

I'm not a dyno expert, and have no real knowledge how it all works .... but my butt o meter, tells me it works.
so if you have technical questions about AFR, roller size, type of Dyno used, etc..... you would be best emailing Raptor directly and speaking with Tim.

Email: [email protected]

Raptor Superchargers Australia

For those into Fakebook there is a large thingy page all about the 1GR called Toyota 1GRFE Club
Alot of info in there, apparently.

In the real world, after just one test drive, this flash ...absolutely rocks ... the power and performance increase and smooth gear shifts changes the FJ from a puddy tat into a Tiger.....
what I like is that this flash changes the transmission ECU parameters too.... so its matched to the engine enhancement.... the A750 is no longer lazy .... it really makes a huge difference to the A750......

Here is the dyno result from the Stage 3 flash, stock FJ and 95 ron.....

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

4th October 2019 UPDATE
Since writing this thread in early April.
Raptor have simplified the available tunes.
Currently they offer
1. All Fuel Tune
2. Highest Octane - Racer performance tune - called the 98 Tune

Airbox mods are recommended with both tunes, but testing has shown exhaust mods do not seem to indicate any performance increase.

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:
In the United States gas stations describe the types of gasoline based on the Pump Octane Number (PON). That number is the average between RON and MON. This causes many problems.

If a fuel is 98 RON then it will be 93 PON -> 93 PUMP
If a fuel is 95 RON and 87 MON then it will be 91 PON -> 91 PUMP

AUS = RON
USA = PON

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Just wondering how long it’s been taking for the PG to arrive to everyone?
Mine shipped on 3/24/20, so 16 days ago. Tracking only shows it leaving Australia and when I put that number in USPS it just says preparing shipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Covid-19 has everything in slow motion. Mine shipped the same day as yours. I have the same status as you. I swapped some friendly emails with Tim two days ago. He opened an AU Post inquiry regarding the shipments. I will update this thread as soon as I hear anything.

The delay has given me time to install my Airaid CAI. Very excited to add the tune.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Covid-19 has everything in slow motion. Mine shipped the same day as yours. I have the same status as you. I swapped some friendly emails with Tim two days ago. He opened an AU Post inquiry regarding the shipments. I will update this thread as soon as I hear anything.

The delay has given me time to install my Airaid CAI. Very excited to add the tune.
Thanks for the update! I figured that was slowing things up, but just wondering what everyone’s average wait time has been with all this crap. Like you, I’m doing other stuff with the rig, while waiting, but quickly running out of projects! Lol! My tune is just a trans tune since my rig is already supercharged, but still looking forward to the improvements!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I do not have a PC, a Mac guy, so I am having my mechanic doing the work. He keeps getting error messages when loading the tune to the PG3. Having him contact Tim and see what happens. Hoping to get this done without sending the PG3 back to AU to have them load it.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I heard from Tim! The service with these guys is stellar. I think my mechanic forgot a step or two, but Tim sent me great instructions for them to install it. So, will have to wait till next week but not much driving anyway. Feeling better about getting this done!

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,107 Posts
I heard from Tim! The service with these guys is stellar. I think my mechanic forgot a step or two, but Tim sent me great instructions for them to install it. So, will have to wait till next week but not much driving anyway. Feeling better about getting this done!
I held off answering your post before this one because I knew you’d be getting a good answer from Tim - he’s truly hands on and passionate about his work, seems like a great guy ?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
If only my mechanic would follow instructions instead of, “oh, I know how to do this!” Hoping he will do it right next week, thanks DebFJVT. Tim must be working 24/7 because it was about 2 am there when he emailed back. Terrific service for sure

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I ended up borrowing a friends PC and sent Tim the file. ill let you know how it feels when i get the tune back. Happy Easter!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I ended up borrowing a friends PC and sent Tim the file. ill let you know how it feels when i get the tune back. Happy Easter!
When you test drive remember to turn off traction control so the ECU learns the entire power curve. Happy Easter.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks for the update! I figured that was slowing things up, but just wondering what everyone’s average wait time has been with all this crap. Like you, I’m doing other stuff with the rig, while waiting, but quickly running out of projects! Lol! My tune is just a trans tune since my rig is already supercharged, but still looking forward to the improvements!

The trans tune should put you right where you need to be in the power curve. Looking forward to hearing about how it improved your torque.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
When you test drive remember to turn off traction control so the ECU learns the entire power curve. Happy Easter.
I have an 07, I don’t have a way to turn that off do I?

·
Desert Moderator
6,480 Posts
I have an 07, I don’t have a way to turn that off do I?
Do you have a rear diff lock? If so, yes you can. See my signature.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
1001 - 1020 of 1061 Posts