Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 1086 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Load All Tunes today. Very easy. Disconnected traction controls, start her up and a nice tone came out of the exhaust. Low end torque is very noticeable, even pull all they way up to 50 mph, just side streets for now, but could feel the difference immediately. Shifting is highly improved too. So I’m loving it. Can’t wait till I really open her up, right now I’m impressed! Really loved the customer service with Tim at Raptor??

·
Registered
230 Posts
Load All Tunes today. Very easy. Disconnected traction controls, start her up and a nice tone came out of the exhaust. Low end torque is very noticeable, even pull all they way up to 50 mph, just side streets for now, but could feel the difference immediately. Shifting is highly improved too. So I’m loving it. Can’t wait till I really open her up, right now I’m impressed! Really loved the customer service with Tim at Raptor??
Which CAI are you running? And don't get a speeding ticket. It's very easy to do. When I drove back from the exhaust shop I was over 80 MPH all the way home and didn't even notice until I saw CHP trying to catch up.

Reactions: amaclach

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Which CAI are you running? And don't get a speeding ticket. It's very easy to do. When I drove back from the exhaust shop I was over 80 MPH all the way home and didn't even notice until I saw CHP trying to catch up.
AFE CAI, with throttle spacer and AFE catback exhaust and Jmax Snorkel. Yea it pulls very even. Looking forward to our trip to Colorado in August. Can’t wait to see how she runs there, hated the downshifting, that is the main reason for adding this. The added benefit of more hp and torque Is really great. I think each step of adding the cai, throttle space and exhaust was noticeable each time, this just gave me about 5% boost, just like each of these steps did, so I’d say about 15% improvement overall!

Reactions: stephous

·
Registered
230 Posts
AFE CAI, with throttle spacer and AFE catback exhaust and Jmax Snorkel. Yea it pulls very even. Looking forward to our trip to Colorado in August. Can’t wait to see how she runs there, hated the downshifting, that is the main reason for adding this. The added benefit of more hp and torque Is really great. I think each step of adding the cai, throttle space and exhaust was noticeable each time, this just gave me about 5% boost, just like each of these steps did, so I’d say about 15% improvement overall!
Yes, and each one if done right adds to the power band. I wish I could give you my PT to test in your setup. The custom exhaust and TRD CAI work really well on my FJ so probably increases similar to yours. I tried the AFT and it was very smooth just like what you reported.

Reactions: sealevel

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
When you test drive remember to turn off traction control so the ECU learns the entire power curve. Happy Easter.
I turned off traction control like you suggested. How long should I have it turned off to accomplish desired results?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Yes, and each one if done right adds to the power band. I wish I could give you my PT to test in your setup. The custom exhaust and TRD CAI work really well on my FJ so probably increases similar to yours. I tried the AFT and it was very smooth just like what you reported.
How much difference between the AFT and PT would you say?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I turned off traction control like you suggested. How long should I have it turned off to accomplish desired results?
Just by my experience: It takes the FJ ECU about 50 miles to learn the driving profile. After that it only matters if you need the additional performance and don't want the ECU to take over, say when your in the dunes at full throttle or rock crawling. There are so many events that turn the nannies on when you don't want them. I find it really annoying and possibly dangerous when they pop on and your not expecting them.

·
Registered
230 Posts
How much difference between the AFT and PT would you say?
Your going to get a lot of opinions on this one. This only applies to my 20101 FJ Allterrain:
Stock Tune - Sleepy but adequate with stock tires, all power is above 3500 RPM
AFT - Peppy, no dead spot, and noticeable increases but smooth with 91 USA PON Octane
PT - Rampage mode and hard shifts under full throttle with 91+ USA PON Octane, aggressive behavior

The difference for me was having a truck that was asleep to having one that performs. So I have the DVVTi engine, first year of the roller rocker engine, which is also a factor. Where it had no low RPM torque before it now has tons. The tune was enhanced by the CAI and the custom exhaust. So it's not apples to apples. The TRD was a bolt on. The exhaust system was configured by Ed Hanson and came down do installing the right muffler with the best velocity for my V6.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I wanted to give the forums an update on my All Fulls Tune from Raptor. I have an 07 FJ and added an AFE CAI and Cat back exhaust in 2009. It gave me about 5% boost. In 2012 I added a throttle spacer and saw another mild boost. 2019 I added a Jmax snorkel and got another mild boost. Added the All Fuels Tune yesterday. I’ve always use high test fuel, and immediately felt the difference. This morning I had a chance to take her out on the highway and wow what a difference. Took three runs up to 90 mph, first at 1/4 pedal, second half pedal and third full pedal to the metal. Each run was smooth as can be, but the beast is unleashed for sure. I highly recommend this tune for anyone that wants their FJ to run like it should. I’d say a 20% boost overall With the intake and outtake mods. I have a Sprint Booster and it just adds pedal sensitivity and I like that too. We you get on it, it rocks! Can’t even imagine what the Performance Tune is like! Customer service with Tim was outstanding, so they come highly recommended! Can’t wait to take her to the mountains!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I wanted to give the forums an update on my All Fulls Tune from Raptor. I have an 07 FJ and added an AFE CAI and Cat back exhaust in 2009. It gave me about 5% boost. In 2012 I added a throttle spacer and saw another mild boost. 2019 I added a Jmax snorkel and got another mild boost. Added the All Fuels Tune yesterday. I’ve always use high test fuel, and immediately felt the difference. This morning I had a chance to take her out on the highway and wow what a difference. Took three runs up to 90 mph, first at 1/4 pedal, second half pedal and third full pedal to the metal. Each run was smooth as can be, but the beast is unleashed for sure. I highly recommend this tune for anyone that wants their FJ to run like it should. I’d say a 20% boost overall With the intake and outtake mods. I have a Sprint Booster and it just adds pedal sensitivity and I like that too. We you get on it, it rocks! Can’t even imagine what the Performance Tune is like! Customer service with Tim was outstanding, so they come highly recommended! Can’t wait to take her to the mountains!
So, when I emailed Tim he told me that there is only one tune for the '07-'09. Did you hear something different? I'd love to change the tune, though I'm very satisfied with what the tune has done to the FJ. I still have yet to add a CAI, but I have done many changes to the exhaust and now it sounds pretty good. I'm glad I did the tune, but if there is a 2nd tune option I'd be interested in trying it out.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
So, when I emailed Tim he told me that there is only one tune for the '07-'09. Did you hear something different? I'd love to change the tune, though I'm very satisfied with what the tune has done to the FJ. I still have yet to add a CAI, but I have done many changes to the exhaust and now it sounds pretty good. I'm glad I did the tune, but if there is a 2nd tune option I'd be interested in trying it out.
If he said that then it must be so. I ordered the All Fuels Tune because I thought it would serve my needs better because we overland more than going hard core wheeling. I‘ll ask him about the other one though as I was interested in the cost for maybe adding that. Probably wouldn’t because I’m pretty happy with what I have!

Reactions: stephous

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I spent a little time driving with the new tune and discovered less fatigue while driving. The added power and new shift points makes my truck steady on the highway, at low speeds and at 70-80 mph. At 55 mph, no more dropping down to 4th on hills and the shifts are smooth. This is how Toyota should have tuned this truck.

·
Desert Moderator
6,715 Posts
If he said that then it must be so. I ordered the All Fuels Tune because I thought it would serve my needs better because we overland more than going hard core wheeling. I‘ll ask him about the other one though as I was interested in the cost for maybe adding that. Probably wouldn’t because I’m pretty happy with what I have!
The PT is probably best for going balls out in big dunes. Otherwise AFT is probably the best choice.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I added my cold air intake over the weekend and it made a bigger difference than what I first initially thought it would. It changed the growl to a lower sounding growl and made the pick up to 60 mph even quicker and the acceleration to 80+ a helluva lot more fun. It could accelerate to 100 with zero issues and still have power left to spare. I'm amazed at how much the tune changes everything. I intended on taking data readings on 0-60 runs without the tune, with the tune and then each one again with the CAI. My torque app had other ideas though. It became buggy and crashed my entire phone like 3 times while I was beginning to do the 0-60 pulls without the tune. I spent almost 4 hrs and a half tank of gas trying to collect data all the while torque kept dropping everything and crashing on me. The only numbers I got were a couple of pulls with no tune and no CAI in the low and mid 13's and then I gave up. The next day I tried a few more times and gave up again totally frustrated. So, then I went home and just installed the CAI (an aFe with oil less filter) and uploaded the tune again and did a couple of timed (with my stopwatch) pulls from 0-60 and found times to be in the mid 11's. I can't say that any of this info is accurate or correct without the screenshots from the torque app to back my findings, but with the CAI and tune it does make some pretty significant increases in power. I will continue to try and get the app to work correctly or find another way to collect this data as I was very interested in the results to share with anyone that wanted the numbers. Sorry, for the disappointing news. ??

·
Registered
230 Posts
I added my cold air intake over the weekend and it made a bigger difference than what I first initially thought it would. It changed the growl to a lower sounding growl and made the pick up to 60 mph even quicker and the acceleration to 80+ a helluva lot more fun. It could accelerate to 100 with zero issues and still have power left to spare. I'm amazed at how much the tune changes everything. I intended on taking data readings on 0-60 runs without the tune, with the tune and then each one again with the CAI. My torque app had other ideas though. It became buggy and crashed my entire phone like 3 times while I was beginning to do the 0-60 pulls without the tune. I spent almost 4 hrs and a half tank of gas trying to collect data all the while torque kept dropping everything and crashing on me. The only numbers I got were a couple of pulls with no tune and no CAI in the low and mid 13's and then I gave up. The next day I tried a few more times and gave up again totally frustrated. So, then I went home and just installed the CAI (an aFe with oil less filter) and uploaded the tune again and did a couple of timed (with my stopwatch) pulls from 0-60 and found times to be in the mid 11's. I can't say that any of this info is accurate or correct without the screenshots from the torque app to back my findings, but with the CAI and tune it does make some pretty significant increases in power. I will continue to try and get the app to work correctly or find another way to collect this data as I was very interested in the results to share with anyone that wanted the numbers. Sorry, for the disappointing news. ??
And now you know what I mean when I say that the CAI is icing on the cake. It put's my FJ in berserk mode. I have the TRD but I'm sure the gains are similar. Heaps or torque.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Stephous I know what you mean. Plenty of torque and power. I can't wait to get it back out on the trail and into some loose sand with all the traction control nannies off it should be even more fun now. Might even scare myself out there.? Gotta love what the tune does to your FJ. Almost like getting a new FJ. ?

·
Premium Member
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,040
Random tangent question. I wonder how the hi octane tune would work with methanol injection. I'm guessing you could easily see more gains, little better efficiency, or possibly get away with running slightly lower octane fuel. Any thoughts?
g'Day Dev,
got an answer about this from Raptor, finally.... they didn't answer originally ...as they thought you were joking slightly... lolol
It can be done ... but, and its a big butt...
You would also need to change injectors and fuel pump and run E85 corn juice ... I don't fully understand all this ... but it is possible.... the injectors need to be bosch 731 cc injectors, and there would be a fair bit involved in getting the tune right, so it didn't run lean or too rich ...
So just dropping this into the mix .... it would also be fraught with danger for anyone with a DVVTI motor... ie, its really only suitable for a SVVTI ..1GR ... being built alot stronger than the DVVTI....
But they would happily take your money and work with you to this end goal......

Cheers
Baz

1021 - 1040 of 1086 Posts