Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1041 - 1060 of 1086 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
So I was finally able to get some time to take a trip up to the high country and escape the desert heat of the Phoenix area. I started out at an elevation of around 1300' and climbed up to the northern Arizona high country of an elevation of just over 7000'. Not only was it significantly cooler by over 30 degrees (94 when we left and 72 when we arrived), but I am happy to report how well the FJ did with the new tune and the added CAI. On the usual drive up north the FJ would constantly drop down into 3rd to struggle up the hills and then drop back into 4th for a second and quickly lose power on the climb and then another drop into 3rd and so on, and so on. Quite annoying, actually! This trip was pretty impressive. The FJ stayed in 4th for the most part and I kept it at a good 65 to 70 mph. I kept up with traffic and never missed a beat. I passed quite a few Tacomas and a few 4runners on the way. It was pretty impressive, so much I had to report this to you all. I stopped to top off and added in another 5.5 gallons and averaged it out to see a low average of 12.7 mpg. Not bad considering the climb to 5100' at this top off. I made my way to the 7000' elevation mark where we sat for lunch and enjoyed the cool breezes of the norther pines of Arizona. On the way back down the hill is where the fun really began. We cruised taking our time getting back and enjoying the cool air while we headed back down the mountains to the top off spot again. We could pass when needed with little to no issues. On one occasion a later model F150 was on our tail as we were both anticipating a passing lane quickly approaching to get past a tow truck that the driver seemed distracted by a phone call as he was going slower than needed on a down hill and swerving over the center lane a bit. Once that passing lane opened up and the tow truck cleared I floored it and so did the F150. I'm sure he thought he'd be able to catch and pass us on the same stretch, but not today.......we left in well behind us and kept on trucking until we met the next group of vehicles on our turn and twist filled downhill run to the next couple of small towns.
To say that the change is significant is putting it mildly. The FJ is a whole other animal with the tune and CAI and it makes for a very much more enjoyable driving experience from what I was used to. I've had this FJ since '13 and I've not enjoyed driving on the blacktop as much as I do now. Now it is as fun on pavement as it is off.
Sorry for the long rant, but it's hard to contain the enthusiasm of being gratified by all the change made by the added Raptor tune. I will report back with yet another report from the road next month when we embark on a weeks long overland journey towing our trailer with rooftop tent up to the northern Arizona back country. Till then folks.......

·
Registered
230 Posts
Still testing intakes with the PT: Um, so my neighbor had a 2011 with the K&N intake upgrade for the stock air box (57-9034). This allows you to keep your stock air box but it eliminates of all the restrictions. He now has my TRD installed and I have his K&N on my truck. I never liked the idea of losing the cyclonic trap. The K&N kit moved my torque curve even lower so power is there right away off idle. This is another way to go if you don't want to lose your stock air box but want maximum low RPM gains.

BTW, TRD has a filter that fits the stock air box.

57-9034 K&N Performance Air Intake System

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have finally gone through two full tanks of fuel since applying the Raptor AFT and got some elevation change driving on the Colorado mountain passes. I thought I would share my experience since it is quite different than most others.

My expectations were mainly focused on the improved shift points that I read about in most of the reviews. The constant down-shifting from losing power driving over even slight highway elevation gains is one of the few things I don't like about my FJ.

Let me start by saying the experience with Raptor was exceptional. Tim was very responsive and quickly answered every question. The whole process of ordering and implementing the tune was very simple and well documented by Raptor.

Unfortunately, I am less than impressed by the change since applying the AFT and will be returning to the Toyota tune full time. The shift points did change slightly, but not for the better. I'm experiencing more searching for gears than before. Even the slightest elevation gain causes the FJ to drop two gears and lurch into a high RMP passing gear. This typically happens while using cruise control, but there is significant down-shifting without CC enabled. I have noticed little, if any, gain in power. This is less disappointing, since it was not part of my expectation.

FJ vitals: 2008 TT, AirRaid CAI, e-rated MT tires

·
Premium Member
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,044
I have finally gone through two full tanks of fuel since applying the Raptor AFT and got some elevation change driving on the Colorado mountain passes. I thought I would share my experience since it is quite different than most others.

My expectations were mainly focused on the improved shift points that I read about in most of the reviews. The constant down-shifting from losing power driving over even slight highway elevation gains is one of the few things I don't like about my FJ.

Let me start by saying the experience with Raptor was exceptional. Tim was very responsive and quickly answered every question. The whole process of ordering and implementing the tune was very simple and well documented by Raptor.

Unfortunately, I am less than impressed by the change since applying the AFT and will be returning to the Toyota tune full time. The shift points did change slightly, but not for the better. I'm experiencing more searching for gears than before. Even the slightest elevation gain causes the FJ to drop two gears and lurch into a high RMP passing gear. This typically happens while using cruise control, but there is significant down-shifting without CC enabled. I have noticed little, if any, gain in power. This is less disappointing, since it was not part of my expectation.

G'Day SP,
sorry to hear that the changes are not helping.....
Have you contacted Raptor and discussed this with them?
Tim maybe able to tweak the tune to suit your vehicle, if you can give him specific feedback about the shift points / rpm etc... I know he is working on a AT tune only ...without the engine tune...so there could be some changes to shift points that improves drivability ...

Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
230 Posts

Hi SP,

Before I did my tunes I had already started to play with mods. My truck ran great until I started messing with it. I had tuned other trucks before and knew what might happen. Six cylinders like nice smooth high velocity air flow at the intake and exhaust. Most bolt ons are going to change that. As Baz said tell Tim what you have again and tell him what you want your truck to do. I told Tim what I was going to bolt on and he matched it.

The standard tunes are not always a silver bullet. They seem to work best on completely stock vehicles. Things like CAI's and custom exhausts will really change the way it works. I noticed that you have an AirRAID CAI?

This is what I know from trial and error.
1. A TRD CAI with a stock exhaust will give you a small bump in low RPM torque
2. A bigger muffler can produce a hole in your low RPM torque and move it above 3500 RPM
3. An oversized exhaust can kill everything below 4500 RPM
4. The wrong CAI can give you less low RPM torque
5. The tune will not compensate for a CAI or exhaust that is not matched to it

I told Tim that I wanted my PT to work with a 24" muffler and a TRD CAI. I have a 2010 motor so it's not the same type of tune as yours. The PT worked great even before I did the mods. Then I installed the wrong FlowMaster muffler. It killed my torque and which made my truck buck during shifts. I went back and installed the right Magnaflow 24" muffler. The tune was strong at that point but I made a fuss about running 91+ octane fuel. So next I installed the TRD CAI and lost some low RPM torque but got heaps back above 2700 RPM. Still not satisfied. I put my stock air box back in but then traded my neighbor for his K&N to stock air box conversion kit. It necks down to a venturi near the the throttle body. He took my TRD CAI and loves it. I got heaps of Low RPM torque back at 2200 RPM all the way up to 5500 RPM. And I got to keep my stock airbox! The right balance.

It doesn't take much to upset the performance of these engines. If you can find the right balance to work with a tune they make amazing usable power.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hi SP,

Before I did my tunes I had already started to play with mods. My truck ran great until I started messing with it. I had tuned other trucks before and knew what might happen. Six cylinders like nice smooth high velocity air flow at the intake and exhaust. Most bolt ons are going to change that. As Baz said tell Tim what you have again and tell him what you want your truck to do. I told Tim what I was going to bolt on and he matched it.

The standard tunes are not always a silver bullet. They seem to work best on completely stock vehicles. Things like CAI's and custom exhausts will really change the way it works. I noticed that you have an AirRAID CAI?

This is what I know from trial and error.
1. A TRD CAI with a stock exhaust will give you a small bump in low RPM torque
2. A bigger muffler can produce a hole in your low RPM torque and move it above 3500 RPM
3. An oversized exhaust can kill everything below 4500 RPM
4. The wrong CAI can give you less low RPM torque
5. The tune will not compensate for a CAI or exhaust that is not matched to it

I told Tim that I wanted my PT to work with a 24" muffler and a TRD CAI. I have a 2010 motor so it's not the same type of tune as yours. The PT worked great even before I did the mods. Then I installed the wrong FlowMaster muffler. It killed my torque and which made my truck buck during shifts. I went back and installed the right Magnaflow 24" muffler. The tune was strong at that point but I made a fuss about running 91+ octane fuel. So next I installed the TRD CAI and lost some low RPM torque but got heaps back above 2700 RPM. Still not satisfied. I put my stock air box back in but then traded my neighbor for his K&N to stock air box conversion kit. It necks down to a venturi near the the throttle body. He took my TRD CAI and loves it. I got heaps of Low RPM torque back at 2200 RPM all the way up to 5500 RPM. And I got to keep my stock airbox! The right balance.

It doesn't take much to upset the performance of these engines. If you can find the right balance to work with a tune they make amazing usable power.
SP,

BTW, I also have the AFT to load when I go to Mexico, if I go to Mexico. With the right intake and exhaust it should be pretty peppy. I tried it with my new setup and it zooms!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for the advice baz and stephous. I really appreciate all the great people on this forum.

stephous, I have the Toyota cat back exhaust that came standard on the TT. I mentioned the exhaust and the AirRaid CAI when I placed my tune order.

I will contact Raptor to see if the tune can be tweaked.

·
Premium Member
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,048
Thanks for the advice baz and stephous. I really appreciate all the great people on this forum.

stephous, I have the Toyota cat back exhaust that came standard on the TT. I mentioned the exhaust and the AirRaid CAI when I placed my tune order.

I will contact Raptor to see if the tune can be tweaked.
G'Day SP,
there has to be a reason..... and I'm sure Raptor will do everything they can to make it work.
The SVVTI engine is not as a dramatic power increase as with the DVVTI, but still noticable.
Its really the shifts that are key to the overall performance, I'd bet Raptor will ask for some more info, like tyres, weight, diff ratios etc.... and can nut out a more progressive AT tune for you.... well I hope so ..anyway
don't give up just yet...

Cheers
Baz

·
Desert Moderator
6,715 Posts
Still testing intakes with the PT: Um, so my neighbor had a 2011 with the K&N intake upgrade for the stock air box (57-9034). This allows you to keep your stock air box but it eliminates of all the restrictions. He now has my TRD installed and I have his K&N on my truck. I never liked the idea of losing the cyclonic trap. The K&N kit moved my torque curve even lower so power is there right away off idle. This is another way to go if you don't want to lose your stock air box but want maximum low RPM gains.

BTW, TRD has a filter that fits the stock air box.

57-9034 K&N Performance Air Intake System
Excellent - I just ordered this. I like the stock air box, and even the stock filters, but aren't really a fan of the resonator monstrosity between the airbox an the throttle body. Problem solved!
I'll give the oiled filter that comes with the kit a go - I need a new filter anyway...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Excellent - I just ordered this. I like the stock air box, and even the stock filters, but aren't really a fan of the resonator monstrosity between the airbox an the throttle body. Problem solved!
I'll give the oiled filter that comes with the kit a go - I need a new filter anyway...
amaclach,

Re: PT with K&N Tube and Magnaflow

Pictured is the K&N tube installed on the stock air box. I just re-checked all the clamps and plumbing. Everything is still tight. It's a great fit. They don't talk much about the breather and FPR line install. There is a plastic NPT fitting that goes into a brass bung on the bottom of the K&N tube near the TB. When you tighten it make sure the FPR port is facing the air box. Put the breather and FPR hoses on before you connect the tube to the TB and air box. Everything lines up right.

So power comes on immediately at a lower RPM and stays strong through the entire range. No noticeable changes at high RPM, but still strong.The transmission really likes it!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Unfortunately this is not a one size fits all application. I’m in the same boat as @ sp0811 and have been less then impressed with both the AFT and PT tunes (on my 2013 with Borla Exhaust and TRD intake system Installed).

Maybe best for stock applications running race gas of 100+ and stock intake and exhaust, but no discernible difference (and YES I’m experienced with Tunes as I have my Audi and Motorcycles with same type architecture tablet applied and tunes installed). Verdicts still out after both tunes being run with 93+ Shell after 3 x full tanks thru each. Currently in commo with them to hopefully sort out......but they haven’t asked me about any specs regarding my current setup. May have to do some independent Dyno run$ next, guess we’ll see......

·
Desert Moderator
6,715 Posts
Unfortunately this is not a one size fits all application. I’m in the same boat as @ sp0811 and have been less then impressed with both the AFT and PT tunes (on my 2013 with Borla Exhaust and TRD intake system Installed).

Maybe best for stock applications running race gas of 100+ and stock intake and exhaust, but no discernible difference (and YES I’m experienced with Tunes as I have my Audi and Motorcycles with same type architecture tablet applied and tunes installed). Verdicts still out after both tunes being run with 93+ Shell after 3 x full tanks thru each. Currently in commo with them to hopefully sort out......but they haven’t asked me about any specs regarding my current setup. May have to do some independent Dyno run$ next, guess we’ll see...... View attachment 1129881
It's been well documented that you won't see an improvement in WOT power if you have a performance airbox. What you will see though is an improvement in torque through the range.
My airbox and exhaust are 100% stock right now, and the tune has given me a noticeable improvement in torque offroad (sand. hot & soft). It's much harder to notice on the black stuff.
Hoping the K&N pipe replacing the intake resonator will give me even more low-end torque . Even if it doesn't it's gonna give me more induction noise, so it'll at least sound more powerful :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Remember, this is effectively a carpark tune. It's not going to give you absolute peak power / torque like a custom dyno tune, and your fuel choice is going to make a difference Octane, as well as composition (e.g.ethanol-dino ratio, summer v winter, as well as altitude.
If you want a seriously performing truck, you really won't do better than a G63. My FJ is pretty quick for a brick shaped SUV, those things are ridiculous.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's been well documented that you won't see an improvement in WOT power if you have a performance airbox. What you will see though is an improvement in torque through the range.
My airbox and exhaust are 100% stock right now, and the tune has given me a noticeable improvement in torque offroad (sand. hot & soft). It's much harder to notice on the black stuff.
Hoping the K&N pipe replacing the intake resonator will give me even more low-end torque . Even if it doesn't it's gonna give me more induction noise, so it'll at least sound more powerful .

Remember, this is effectively a carpark tune. It's not going to give you absolute peak power / torque like a custom dyno tune, and your fuel choice is going to make a difference Octane, as well as composition (e.g.ethanol-dino ratio, summer v winter, as well as altitude.
If you want a seriously performing truck, you really won't do better than a G63. My FJ is pretty quick for a brick shaped SUV, those things are ridiculous.
Hi amaclach,
I did the tune on my '16 FJ and it is a noticable improvement on dunes.

Have you done the the stock airbox mod (cutting), this was recommended to me by Tim but never tried it. Last week I got a used stock airbox to do the experiment.

Thanks,
Mohammad

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Desert Moderator
6,715 Posts
Hi amaclach,
I did the tune on my '16 FJ and it is a noticable improvement on dunes.

Have you done the the stock airbox mod (cutting), this was recommended to me by Tim but never tried it. Last week I got a used stock airbox to do the experiment.

Thanks,
Mohammad

Hi Mohammed- no I haven't cut the cyclonic filter out - I like the fact that it dumps a lot of the sand before it hits the filter element.
I'm sure that it will give better performance at full power, but until I get around to putting a snorkel on it, I'll keep the cyclonic filter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Mohammed- no I haven't cut the cyclonic filter out - I like the fact that it dumps a lot of the sand before it hits the filter element.
I'm sure that it will give better performance at full power, but until I get around to putting a snorkel on it, I'll keep the cyclonic filter.
Thanks!
Yes I am worried about more sand hitting the filter. I already got a smorkel, which limits the air flow I believe, and I hope cutting the cyclonic filter would balance it.

Thanks,
Mohammad

·
Desert Moderator
6,715 Posts
Thanks!
Yes I am worried about more sand hitting the filter. I already got a smorkel, which limits the air flow I believe, and I hope cutting the cyclonic filter would balance it.

Thanks,
Mohammad

Probably OK with the snorkel - you're not sucking the dust from inside the wheel arch, so I think that's fine. You can buy foam socks to go over the snorkel head if it's super dusty to reduce dust ingestion. Not sure how well they work though.
Off topic, but where did you get those grille inserts from?

·
Desert Moderator
6,715 Posts
Not sure if the guys from Raptor are lurking - I'm wondering if they have a view on which snorkels are least restrictive?

·
Premium Member
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,059
G'Day Guys,
snorkels help the ram effect ....forcing more air into the box.
To help keep dust out, snorkel sox can help, and depending on the air filter element.... eg, airaid..you can add a pre-filter over the cone element.
A spin top snorkel head can also reduce/control sand/dust intake.... as its cyclonic action throws the dust out...
I have both a ram head and a spin top..depends on conditions....which you use.

I don't think Raptor have a preference / recommendation as to the type of Snorkel by brand.... but i'll ask the question.
Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
21 Posts
Probably OK with the snorkel - you're not sucking the dust from inside the wheel arch, so I think that's fine. You can buy foam socks to go over the snorkel head if it's super dusty to reduce dust ingestion. Not sure how well they work though.
Off topic, but where did you get those grille inserts from?
These are the Rigid Industries

The amber lights are a custom add on. I used
iJDMTOY.

Ordered both through Amazon and shipping to Abu Dhabi through Shop&Ship

1041 - 1060 of 1086 Posts