Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Raptor ECU Flash

282K views 1K replies 75 participants last post by  terrorificdp 
#1 · (Edited)
G'Day,
As stated in the general thread...what did I do To my FJ....

fitted a Raptor Engine and Transmission ECU flash to Bozo yesterday.

Coupla extra bits of info to try to centralise info.

1. This ECU flash has been developed DU by Raptor, for the Dual VVTI 1GR engine, for the plus 2010 models.

2. No affiliation with Raptor, just a happy customer.

3. 4 tunes available.
stage 1 - stock FJ running 91 RON gas
stage 2 - modified FJ running 91 RON gas - mods to airbox and exhaust
stage 3 - stock FJ running 95 RON gas
stage 4 - modified FJ running 95 RON gas - mods to airbox and exhaust

DU, we have 3 levels of fuel
standard ULP = 91 ron
Super ULP = 95 ron
Premium ULP = 98 ron
Not sure what or how that relates to US gas.... ( we also have ethanol blends etc)

4. Measurements are in kw HP, not BHP.

5. Test and development FJ was a 2011 bone stock AT.

6. 1 method are offered by Raptor to obtain the flash....
buy the Powergate 3, pull your stock DAT file off the ECU, send it to them via email, they will modify the file and send it back to you with flash... upload this to your ECU ...done .... you have the ability to switch back to stock at your will as you have two DAT files, stock and modified.

7. The modified DAT is locked to your vehicle, as is the Powergate, so you cannot share it across other FJ's.

I'm not a dyno expert, and have no real knowledge how it all works .... but my butt o meter, tells me it works.
so if you have technical questions about AFR, roller size, type of Dyno used, etc..... you would be best emailing Raptor directly and speaking with Tim.

Email: raptorsc@westnet.com.au

Raptor Superchargers Australia

For those into Fakebook there is a large thingy page all about the 1GR called Toyota 1GRFE Club
Alot of info in there, apparently.

In the real world, after just one test drive, this flash ...absolutely rocks ... the power and performance increase and smooth gear shifts changes the FJ from a puddy tat into a Tiger.....
what I like is that this flash changes the transmission ECU parameters too.... so its matched to the engine enhancement.... the A750 is no longer lazy .... it really makes a huge difference to the A750......

Here is the dyno result from the Stage 3 flash, stock FJ and 95 ron.....

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

4th October 2019 UPDATE
Since writing this thread in early April.
Raptor have simplified the available tunes.
Currently they offer
1. All Fuel Tune
2. Highest Octane - Racer performance tune - called the 98 Tune

Airbox mods are recommended with both tunes, but testing has shown exhaust mods do not seem to indicate any performance increase.

Cheers
Baz

Attachments

See less See more
#371 ·
I am assuming you are in Cali like me so I was wondering what your plan would be when it comes time to do the smog check?

#32 ·
G'Day LB,
I was talking to Raptor today about US models .... both 07-09 and plus 10 tunes......
They are of the opinion this won't affect CARB ..... they can't g'tee it.... without it being tested....
But.... using the powergate, it takes 90 seconds to switch back to the OE tune spec.... as you keep your original OE tune stored...
and can switch between tunes ...at will.....

So ..wink wink, CARB time.... back to stock ..... easy peasy.....

Cheers
Baz

#13 ·
3. 4 tunes available.

standard ULP = 91 ron
Super ULP = 95 ron
Premium ULP = 98 ron
Not sure what or how that relates to US gas.... ( we also have ethanol blends etc)
FWIW. 91-93 is usually the highest I've seen here. US = (R+M)/2

91 RON = US 87
95 RON = US 91
98 RON = US 94

#14 ·
G'Day,
As stated in the general thread...what did I do To my FJ....

fitted a Raptor Engine and Transmission ECU flash to Bozo yesterday.

Coupla extra bits of info to try to centralise info.

1. This ECU flash has been developed DU by Raptor, for the Dual VVTI 1GR engine, for the plus 2010 models.

2. No affiliation with Raptor, just a happy customer.

3. 4 tunes available.

standard ULP = 91 ron
Super ULP = 95 ron
Premium ULP = 98 ron

Cheers
Baz
Looks like AUS octane ratings are about 4 points higher than US, so 91 AUS = about 87 US, etc.

#15 ·
Hmm... I'm wondering if they've done one for a 6MT on 98RON...
That's all I give mine to drink...

#19 ·
G'Day,
The Flash tune should be good for all octanes of gas, from 87 upwards...being comparable ratio's to our octane numbers...but no real hands on way to check, all depends what you got in your gas I guess...

MT version ?..... good question...but as DU we only ever got the AT ... there is no dyno test using a Manuel ...Carte Door ?...( Faulty Towers )

From what I can gather the Alientech powergate in the US/UK ... is based on a MT ... for the 07-09 model .... but this isn't conclusive... you would need to talk to Alientech about this.....

Went for a tootle down the road this morning, and behaved myself until the engine n transmission were up to full temperature... and Bozo drove normally .... no noticeable change at suburban speeds under 2000 rpm......
then ....... decided it was only appropriate I kick it, the response +2000 rpm .... awesome.... it really comes alive +2, in all gears.... the power curve / band is smooth and fast .... shifts like silk .... it really is a different beasty +2,
I still haven't had him out on the open road / highway ..... at 60 mph plus .... but can only imagine what that's gonna feel like.....
So stay tuned for more fun.......

cheers
Baz

#22 ·
#27 ·
The numbers on the DVVTI are insane - I've asked for the 98 dyno test and clarification if the map is the same on the manual and auto DVVTI engine.
Although I have no backing data there's a big step at 4000 RPM on mine where it goes from quite docile to a raging beast as the cams change... Maybe it's just more noticible in the manual because there's no TC slippage or trans chopdown...

Anyone else - do you see a change of character at 4K???

#33 ·
G'Day,

UPDATES

07-09 .....

Talking to Raptor today...... they are of the opinion that the Prado 120 tune is a prefect match for the 07-09 FJ
While this doesn't present the same power gain of the DVVTI ...it does provide a decent gain of about 24 bhp and 40 Nm.
If you look at the 120 dyno tune .... the extra torque n grunt down low is enough to make this a very viable tune ......
If you want/need an extra 40Nm ....

CARBs .....
As stated above ...should not be an issue ... or play it safe and switch back to the OE tune for testing.....

Powergate 3
PG3 is sold worldwide by many sellers.... but they all have to lock the PG3 to their own software ..as dictated to by Alientech ..... before on selling to the end user. So unfortunately you cannot source a PG3 from another vendor and plug in the Raptor tune data...it won't work...

Lastly, just as an aside... Raptor have hundreds of hours development in this for the 1GR platform ....

Cheers
Baz

#34 ·
I made a suggestion that if they sold me the hardware I could pull my stock map and share it with them so they could check it's what they expect and then send the updated map to me (which I'll also pay for).
That way they can be sure that the MT tune doesn't hold any surprises rather than just porting an AT tune.

#35 ·
I noticed that the Dyno tests for the 91 and 95 octane tunes on the Raptor website are compared to the same (exactly the same) baseline data, presumably stock tune running 91 octane fuel. I would also assume that the 95 octane tune was run with 95 octane fuel, so the comparison given is probably not fair. Anyway, looking at these the 91 octane tune looks to be pretty beneficial in the range I usually operate (< 3500 rpm). Comments?

Attachments

Reactions: amaclach
#43 ·
Export price should be less GST, plus international shipping. You will be responsible for local import duties/taxes.

#50 ·
One Week Report
G'Day,
After a week of driving Bozo in a Stage 4 Tuned state, here are few observations.
1. Normal suburban driving.
you won't notice any power improvement if you stay under 2000 rpm in any gear in suburbia.
you will notice the changed shift points in the tranny, and it will feel smoother, but it still feels like a standard FJ.
Pottering around at 50-60kph, Bozo is still docile and calm.

If you need to get to 50-60 kpm in a hurry, and boot it into the plus 2000 rpm range the power and acceleration is obvious as the 1GR opens up smoothly and quickly.... and fast....

2. Highway cycle
I took Bozo up the Lapstone hill today, gateway to the Blue Mountains...
On the M4 freeway at 80kph, in road work zones...ho hum, popped on Cruise and he happily sat at 80...

Before the tune ..he just didnt like 5th/80kph/cruise...wasn't smooth or happy doing 1350rpm at 80.... but now still doing 1350/80 he felt happy and content to tootle along, no hunting for gears, no up n down ..no lag or moaning. I put this down to the ECU transmission tweaks more than engine power...but I could be wrong.... point is he was happy to sit at 80...no fuss.
Out of the 80 into 110kph zone, I simply accelerated quickly and he took of like a rocket... enter the 2000 plus rpm and he gets a real giddy up... He did drop into 4th but it was smooth and effortless..no lag - the wakey wakey syndrome has gone... and held 4th till well after 100kph, then quietly slipped in to 5th... doing 110 kph at about 1950 rpm.... at 100kph he sits on 1750 rpm in 5th.

The power and new smooth shifts really change the 1GR/A750 ...

Going up the Lapstone Hill.... I was able to stay at the speed limit without increasing throttle, till he dropped down to 4th and held 4th all the way to the top...and I could have accelerated after the 55kph bend.... but was still doing 70....
temps increased a little bit, but nothing like they used too, labouring up the hill.... very pleased with the pulling power under load.... how it should have been tuned by Yoda....not for emmissions and economy !!!! Bad Yoda !!

for the past 6-7 years I have driven in 4th until 80 kph plus, to avoid the lag and hunting / sleepy / wake up gear changes...
For the last week, I have left it in 5th ( mostly) ... and the change is impressive.... this also reduced trans temps and water temps

Off road and 4wd, I am still yet to test, but the low end torque and power should really change the fun....

Cheers
Baz