Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have a rattle in their C-Pillar? i tried search but didn't find much. it seems to only happen when I shut the driver side doors or hit awkward bumps.

I can bang on the large plastic molding near the seatbelt and hear it, a metallic springy type rattle.

At first I thought it might be the seatbelt mechanism so I tensed it and I still heard it. Dealer looked at it today, said they tightened everything down, but it still happens :(

Only 1700 miles on my FJ and I don't want it to turn into a rattling box yet :mecry:

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
yeah, I have that issue as well. I pulled the panels on mine and checked the wire looms and such running throughout the door but didn't find it. From what I've read on here (there are a few threads on it already) the noise comes from the raise/lower mechanism.

BTW, I wouldn't take the dealers word on anything they say they've done.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
I have one too. Can hear under normal driving conditions. Sounds deep in side somewhere.

This also made me look into the term "C Pillar" as I always referred to the front most pillar as the "C Pillar." Seems the front most pillar is the "A Pillar" then "B" would be what you are referring to(???)(where the doors meet) and "C" would actually be the rear (not sure this really works on the FJ), then D moving back, etc.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
I have a rattle where the real C-panel (read above:)) plastic meets the carpet ceiling liner. I put a few folds of toilet paper to keep pressure against the roof liner. This "fixed" it, but needs to be readjusted every so often.

I am not sure if this is the rattle you are dealing with though. Mine did not sound metallic.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Mine has been rattling since day one (april 2007)... however, it is only bad depending on the height of the seat belt adjuster. A click in either direction and it rattles more. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong, I took it apart and saw nothing. If it's the same as mine... it sucked because it is right behind my ear. However, I haven't actually thought about it in a long time. I must have mentally blocked it out. lol

If I could figure out the source of my door rattles, I would be a happy camper. Drives me crazzzzzy!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I also have this sounds its more of a metal on metal sound. I took it to the dealership and they pulled out the back plastic and put some more of that carpet stuff on the inside of the pannel but then I drove it home and put back in my FJ barrier and it came back so I am guessing the FJ barrier is causing the sound. Do you have the FJ barrier in there and does the sound go away when you take it out? Its driving me crazy.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Lots of fj's have a rattle in the door latch. There is no adjustment in it so i found that I can live with it if I take a small strip of electrical tape and wrap it around the bar that the latch hangs on to.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Folks, My local toyota man & I have been trying to find the fix for this issue.

I believe it originates from the seat belt adjustment mechanism. If you adjust it, the "clicking" in your left ear can get a little better or worse. It may even be better or worse depending on climate/humidity etc.

If anyone can chime in on any successful fixes or insights, please do!!
We have yet to find a fix. But after 7 years, geeeeesh, I'm determined.
It's really annoying and I know there are others that are sick of it as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts