Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this rattle for about a month. I can not figure it out for the life of me. I have 6MT w/ 115K.

I only hear the rattle when I first start rolling forward or backwards. It also weakens once the car is warm - hot.

The video stinks as my brother was trying to capture the undercarriage while I rocked the rig, but you can clearly HEAR the rattle.

FJ Rattle - YouTube

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
It sounds to me like a loose heat shield on your catalytic converter. They have 4 little spot welds holding them on...if just one breaks....rattle time!

Sent from my C771 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found it!!!!!!!!!

Changed out the exhaust gasket between the flange held together by 2 bolts with springs. Voila!!! No more rattle.

I rule!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's under the passenger side of the vehicle. I just PB Blasted the bolts, removed them, slid the gasket in, and tightened it back up. My old gasket had basically disintegrated when I tried removing it.

1745174051 Toyota's Part Number for the gasket.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Mine when I take off in 1st or reverse, initially it will make a rattle noise. Or if I really lug the motor (like 2nd gear at 1mph). I figured it was something with the exhaust. I will get under it tomorrow and figure it out..

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine when I take off in 1st or reverse, initially it will make a rattle noise. Or if I really lug the motor (like 2nd gear at 1mph). I figured it was something with the exhaust. I will get under it tomorrow and figure it out..
Exactly, Greggry. The perfect engine vibration when first starting out in 1st or reverse would make it buzz. Mine didn't really do it though when my rig was very hot.

I had a bit of black soot at the bottom of the flange where the 2 pipes meet which is what brought my attention to it.

It was driving me crazy. I hope this helps you.

·
Admin
6,864 Posts
:lol: Mine rattled like this shortly after (ok, immediately after) I rolled a boulder under the belly of my FJ and dented the heck out of my muffler.
:cheers:

Bent it out a bit with a bar, helped a little. Then bent my tailpipe up a bit coming down off Top of the World in Utah... that made it rattle worse..... go figger :lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Awesome post! The rattle has been driving me nuts plus it’s embarrassing. I’m going to verify the source this weekend and more than likely order those gaskets. I took care of the heat shield above one of the catalytic converters which had fallen and was just sitting there. Despite having dealerships services, they never mentioned it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts