Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
07 Maroon Toyota FJ Cruiser
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals I’ve had some issues with rattling for the last couple months but has since gotten worse and have tried getting under to see what’s going on and can’t find anything else to tighten. Here’s a video of what it sounds like. Any ideas? Sorry about the wind in advance had to take the vid while driving. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
10,699 Posts
Hard to tell from the video.
I can only offer this. I had a rattle on mine a while back that drove me nuts. I went so far as removing the skid plates and exhaust heat shields.
Finally I found it. The front brake pads were rattling. I bought a hardware kit from NAPA with new pins and anti-rattle spring clip.
If you can, teach around the tire and give the pads a wiggle.

·
Registered
2014 Army Green FJ
101 Posts
Definitely sheet metal-esque. Catalytic converter heat shield maybe? Give the whole length of the exhaust from the tailpipe up to the catalytic converter a good smack with your palm every foot or so. See if you get any rattles. I had an internal baffle go on a muffler once. Took me forever to find it as everything under the car looked to be in order.

·
Premium Member
16,122 Posts
Another vote for heat shield.

Check your exhaust heat shield.... the bolts notoriously corrode the heat shields and then the shields end up on top of the drive shaft.

What I did to fix that was I cut a beer can and folded it and made a large square washer.... unbolted the bolt that was still there.... and used the "washer" to put the heat shield back on (after I pre-drilled the "washer" to aid in the bolt going thru).

·
4-Corners Moderator
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Teams Special Edition
5,590 Posts
Yet another heat shield vote. At FJ Summit last year on one of the days the FJ just randomly started sounding like this. By the time I ran Ophir Pass and then Last Dollar Road I couldn't take it anymore. I thought it was a skid plate but after removing it and continuing the noise remained. I climbed underneath and one of the heat shields had holes in it where the nuts holing it on had broken through the metal and it was now rattling on the exhaust. I removed the nuts and used washers larger than the holes in the metal to re-secure the heat shield in place. Boom, noise solved!!

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Heat Shield on exhaust is my first guess...I used stainless steel hose clamps around mine when I discovered the hardware had rusted and fallen out . Second guess is Brake pads rattling in the calipers- put up with it until you get your next brake job and then make sure they replace the springs and hardware when they do the work.
Good luck.

Reactions: luker1chards

·
Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams <>< <>< <*((^(((><
895 Posts
I agree with the other comments. I have an old cell phone that is useless but the camera / video works fine. When I have sound / problem issues, I use duct tape and put it in various spots under the FJ. Sometimes the video will show something but listening to the sound getting louder or quieter should help you narrow down where the issue is...

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

·
Registered
2014 Army Green FJ
101 Posts
Another vote for heat shield.

Check your exhaust heat shield.... the bolts notoriously corrode the heat shields and then the shields end up on top of the drive shaft.

What I did to fix that was I cut a beer can and folded it and made a large square washer.... unbolted the bolt that was still there.... and used the "washer" to put the heat shield back on (after I pre-drilled the "washer" to aid in the bolt going thru).
Extra credit points for incorporating a beer can into your fix. Well done, sir. Well done! (y)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check the heat shield nothing out of the ordinary with it other than some tiny gravel that fell out with a good snack but The more I think about it , when changing my pads I’ve noticed my pad clips becoming loose so I’ve got a strong feeling that’s what it could be, I’ll keep the post updated when I try fixing the pads.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hard to tell from the video.
I can only offer this. I had a rattle on mine a while back that drove me nuts. I went so far as removing the skid plates and exhaust heat shields.
Finally I found it. The front brake pads were rattling. I bought a hardware kit from NAPA with new pins and anti-rattle spring clip.
If you can, teach around the tire and give the pads a wiggle.
Can you link the kit?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.