Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
First time on a really rough wash board surface out in the desert. Maybe it's nothing, but I can hear a metallic rattle - like something loose - that seems to come from the drivers side wheel area. Once back on paved roads the noise is gone. Should I be worried 馃槱?

This is my first 4x4, 2013 TTSE, and it performed beautifully beside the noise

Registered
check the rear sway bar links to see if they rattled loose. Then check the upper and lower rear control arms to ensure bolts/nuts still tight, then check shock mounts and rear trackbar.

The one thing that I see most often is either losing bolts from sway bar links or breaking a sway bar link.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the direction, I did feel around for anything that seem loose... problem is I don't know where to look or what to look for

Registered
Thanks for the direction, I did feel around for anything that seem loose... problem is I don't know where to look or what to look for
well, you can google search for these things on an FJ Cruiser and see pictures of what I am talking about and then check the bolts/nuts for tightness, missing, etc. Another approach is to take it to a suspension shop and have them inspect it after telling them the symptoms you are experiencing (e.g. rattling noise). My approach in most cases of unknown rattling is to put mine vehicles up on jack stands, remove tires and start inspecting and tightening. I have never not found something after hearing rattling...but it may take a couple tries. I would recommend this only if you are a competent do it yourself sort of person and not afraid of wrenching on your vehicles. If not, you probably need to get it into a qualified mechanic. The other approach is to find some local FJ groups/meetups and maybe some of those members can start to show you these things.

We now live in a world where you can google and find videos on many of these things of how to do something or a video that explains what you are looking at/inspecting. Didnt use to be that way, you would have a Dad, uncle, grandfather, neighbor etc who might show you the ropes if you are interested.

Good luck.

Premium Member
Do not limit yourself to the front or suspension in your check. Noise travels through the FJ in all sorts of funny manner and quite often what you suspect where the noise is origination from is not even close.

Work on:

Anything that, rotates, turns or pivots
Anything fastened to the body (heat shields, exhaust hangers etc)
Anything fastened or right near the frame

Start at one end and work your way over.

Registered
I had a lower front coilover bolt come loose but if I were you I would take your socket set under with you and try to tighten every nut you see :)

Registered
My manufacturer skid plate (not the bling plate - I don't have one) comes loose every year and the dealer tightens it up at oil change time. It's a annoying rattle/squeak noise.

Registered
if I were you I would take your socket set under with you and try to tighten every nut you see :)
This is what I would do first... starting with the lower shock bolt.

Registered
My skid plates are rattling. I am going to drop one and add a layer of foam strip to it to dampen the sound. I identified this as the problem by simply getting underneath and rapping the skids with my hand.

Quick and easy, maybe worth a try.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts