Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the first person to sign up to buy I was the first person to get a pair. :clap:

They managed to survive the cross country trip without a scratch, so my first comment is the packing was very good with care taken to insure they arrived without damage. I am still deciding on silver or black for paint color. My FJ is titanium so the original silver is more of a draw for me then it may be for others who have different body colors. Cost is one factor as matching the black trim would be cheapest with a little sanding and some Duplicolor trim paint while I think matching the titanium should be done by a body shop with automotive paint. I will be talking to my favorite body shop tomorrow to see what they say about the cost. Since they are not painted yet more pics would not be very helpful at this point. But, more pics can't tell you what they are like to hold in your hand. The wings are nice and solid with a good smooth surface which should take minimal prep time for color or black paint. The surface is not at all rough or porous looking so I don't forsee any great difficulty for those who wish to apply a smooth automotive finish for an OEM look. The edges are well done with a very slight rounding which I think will look very good when bolted up to the bumper. I had some concern about this as the originals used all those clips around the edge to hold it tight without gaps while this design uses four bolts set somewhat inboard of the edges as seen in the sellers pics. The mounting bolts are large and sturdy, well set into the casting and more than strong enough to hold them on to the bumper. The best way to describe the material the wings are made of is that they are like um ......... a toilet seat. You know, those hard plastic ones that are solid and strong yet still light weight. Left and right mirror each other very well so you don't have to worry about one looking different from the other side. The shape keeps the style and lines of the originals while greatly reducing the overhang. You may have noticed how the originals tend to catch some splash from the front tires and get dirty on top with a line separating clean and dirty from where the wheel well protects part of the original wing which is close to the bumper and the outer part gets dirty. Looking at these they look as though they will set inside that splash line and not catch the splash from the tires. So, they should stay cleaner as well as reducing the overhang.
With that said my first look has led me to the conclusion that these are a fine product which would look great with minimal prep time in black or silver. I will have more to say soon as I get them painted and mounted. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Cool!
Post pics when ya can.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Nice report, thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts