Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CEMENT FJ
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just today I ordered the RCI offroad rock sliders do any of you guys here have them if so I would like to here the good and also the bad. If you don't have RCI I would like to know what you have as well

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,133 Posts
Without question RCI makes great products. I have many. I was not aware they offered sliders but I’m sure they’re excellent - post your review when you get them!

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,870 Posts
They seem like a quality part. Pretty similar to the AllPro ones or PureFJ ones. A bit pricier though.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have all the RCI skids except the fuel tank skid. Mine are steel version and they have been great. Fit well and super protection and very easy to install! Love them!

·
Registered
2014 CEMENT FJ
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking at getting skids but 1000 to 1200 seems alot for skids......I don't beat up the FJ or even seem to go off road often since there is nothing to close to me.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have a full set of skids from RCI in aluminum for 3.5 years now. Never had a problem from the time I placed the order through install. Good quality, support and products.

Are you getting them bare metal or powdercoated? If bare, I suggest you POR15 and then paint or bedliner over the POR15.

my $.02

·
Registered
2014 CEMENT FJ
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a full set of skids from RCI in aluminum for 3.5 years now. Never had a problem from the time I placed the order through install. Good quality, support and products.

Are you getting them bare metal or powdercoated? If bare, I suggest you POR15 and then paint or bedliner over the POR15.

my $.02
So the Rock sliders I ordered from RCI will be bare metal.....what is POR15...I will have to do some research. The skid plate i ordered from them a few years back for my Tundra I still have is powder coated.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Do a search for POR 15, Paint Over Rust is a Paint/sealant that is very,very hard and seals the metal.
I have sliders very similar to yours, bare metal. I have primmer-ed and rattle can painted, only to have it chip and rust begin, forcing me to strip and sand the sliders down to bare again. I then prepped, primed and bed lined, better result but 2.5 years in I had same problem, strip, sand repeat. Last time out POR 15, and them bed liner, 3rd year in the bed liner has scratched of in a few places, but the underlying POR 15 is hard and unblemished...so far. I'll touch that up when MN warms up.

·
Registered
457 Posts
POR 15 does not do UV light, so you have to paint (bed liner) over sunlight exposed areas, well everything.

Great stuff, don't spill or get it on you, you'l lhave to wear it off.

·
Registered
2014 CEMENT FJ
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do a search for POR 15, Paint Over Rust is a Paint/sealant that is very,very hard and seals the metal.
I have sliders very similar to yours, bare metal. I have primmer-ed and rattle can painted, only to have it chip and rust begin, forcing me to strip and sand the sliders down to bare again. I then prepped, primed and bed lined, better result but 2.5 years in I had same problem, strip, sand repeat. Last time out POR 15, and them bed liner, 3rd year in the bed liner has scratched of in a few places, but the underlying POR 15 is hard and unblemished...so far. I'll touch that up when MN warms up.
What state are you from?

·
Registered
2014 CEMENT FJ
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I don't live in Minnesota, I live in Boston...usually. The POR15 isn't just for salted roads though.
I live in Central cali .....no rust issues.....my 2008 Tundra undercarriage still looks new....lol.....but I will still look in to it

·
Registered
457 Posts
D o you ever plan on running the sandy beaches on or near salt water? Mountains in winter? Maybe POR 15 is overkill, check with some of the central Cali peeps, I wouldn't do it any other way, even if I lived where you are.

That said, rocks and gravel will be hammering the underside of your sliders, paint and bed-liner just isn't tough enough in my experience.

What ever you decide, when you do install use some anti-sieze on your bolts, you'll be happy you did when you take the sliders off to touch em' up

·
Registered
2014 CEMENT FJ
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
D o you ever plan on running the sandy beaches on or near salt water? Mountains in winter? Maybe POR 15 is overkill, check with some of the central Cali peeps, I wouldn't do it any other way, even if I lived where you are.

That said, rocks and gravel will be hammering the underside of your sliders, paint and bed-liner just isn't tough enough in my experience.

What ever you decide, when you do install use some anti-sieze on your bolts, you'll be happy you did when you take the sliders off to touch em' up
Yeah anti seize is a must I use it often. But I will look in to the steps that need to be done so the paint or bed liner will last

1 - 18 of 18 Posts