Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a great experience with RCI Metalworks. They had a 15% off sale going last month, so I decided to go all in on a set of skids for my 2014. I ordered the engine, transmission and transfer case skid in bare aluminum. I placed my order the 2nd week of April after a good phone chat with the sales person. They let me know that Covid was slowing them down somewhat, but they were still working on orders with some staff working from home. I checked in a couple more times by email during the month and received prompt replies with status updates. Once Colorado was opened up for business near the end of April, RCI shipped my plates right out and they arrived in 2 days via Fed ex.

My buddy helped me with the install, which went very smoothly. The plates are gorgeous, with nice welds. Fit is perfect. The only difficulty I had was tracking down some frame mounting brackets I had removed years back when I put on my previous aluminum IFS engine skid from All Pro. The transfer case cross bar probably took the most effort to get mounted, but my 2 1/2 ton jack worked great for helping it press in between the frame rails.

Overall, I am extrememly pleased with RCI's craftsmanship and customer service. Here's a pic to show off a bit. Hopefully I get out soon and get them dirty!

Cheers,

Desmo

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
RCI makes a great product and has been great to work with . I plan to get a set of Aluminum for winter. and switch back to my steel for the summer and rocks

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,135 Posts
It’s great to hear RCI is still holding to the standard of excellence I experienced years ago when purchasing my first set of plates. I also had the pleasure of wheeling with Josh (owner) and one of his fabricators at Summit and it was incredibly cool to watch them on their hands and knees watching their skidplates do their job while I was banging my way up The Wall - truly passionate about their business!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why take out the TRD? Whats the real difference?
The thin aluminum TRD skid plate isn't really up to the task. It looks cool but doesn't hold up with repeated abuse. The 1/4" aluminum RCI skids are super strong and handle rock duty very well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts