Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Other than cans and the odd Bigfoot... What else can one shoot here?

·
Banned
1,538 Posts
This year I'll be attending with my 3 children... it will be a blast!
Meant as a pun or not...funny.
The open carry was toolriffic. C'mon, the camo pants (necessary, I'm sure) wasn't even the right jungle pattern and the holster rig..please.

I met better people and got in more trouble minus the "summit".

I'm putting tank treads, battle armor, a turret and a "LOOK AT ME" sticker across my windshield so people with give me the attention my parents never gave me...please. *sarcasm, for the slow*

·
fka fatbrat40
2,489 Posts
Wow, I have been to both of the Summits and never run into anyone carrying a side arm on there hip...Where the hell was I ....I missed all of the fun damn it. I could care less if you carry a weapon or not, if you decide to show it off at least let me in on the presentation, I might learn a thing or two
Why don't we work as a group and make this one awesome off road event
I'll be there

·
Banned
1,538 Posts
Wow, I have been to both of the Summits and never run into anyone carrying a side arm on there hip...Where the hell was I ....I missed all of the fun damn it. I could care less if you carry a weapon or not, if you decide to show it off at least let me in on the presentation, I might learn a thing or two
Why don't we work as a group and make this one awesome off road event
I'll be there
Well when you wear camo, it's hard to see you.

·
Banned
1,538 Posts
:: removed for the sake of the event :::
F that!!! They go on blast when we all got back and while fresh in our minds put to words items that worked...and did not. FEELINGS were hurt and were told to put it on hold...IE shut the heck fire up...

The objective of the open forum is to assist other in the same boat (sorry, FJ) by pointing out success and failure, so they can make an informed choice on the matter. I've had plenty of ideas i added here. Not all agreed, but took it as a marker for their needs or projects.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
F that!!! They go on blast when we all got back and while fresh in our minds put to words items that worked...and did not. FEELINGS were hurt and were told to put it on hold...IE shut the heck fire up...

The objective of the open forum is to assist other in the same boat (sorry, FJ) by pointing out success and failure, so they can make an informed choice on the matter. I've had plenty of ideas i added here. Not all agreed, but took it as a marker for their needs or projects.
Huh?

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
I can only assume that there was some sort of advance notification that said policy was in place? I'd have a problem if I paid to be at an event then a such a policy was announced after I had paid, travelled and spent money on accommodations then get Diane Feinstein as a trail leader, you'd have to lock up your firearm or go home? No fun there...
Yes, everyone knew well in advance. It was in the printed literature for the events for the Jambo.

For M4W....it was in their rule sheets.

Sean

·
Registered
739 Posts
Jerry, I appreciate your comments.

If you were carrying, I did not know and that is my point. Keep it to yourself.

In my opinion, if the summit is neutral or supports open carry side arms in the tent area, my family is not attending. That would not be the kind of event I would want to be a part of. No plans to attend the AZ events either.

Side arms on trails is another issue all together and If I saw it on a trail, we would just leave, no big deal.

Not realy going to stress about it, will wait and see how things shake out.

I am not against guns or gun ownership, I grew up hunting with my dad.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I attended last years event with my two kids that were 5 and 7 at the time and we all had a blast. I did see someone carry a sidearm and I personally just though to myself "why"...I get that its because you can and the law says you can....its also another way of saying "look at me."

Beyond that I have never felt more safe or in more of a family environment, it was kinda liike being in Maybury. Lots of kids running around and having a great time with virtually no late night wildness and my room was just behind the main tent at the Best Western.

The vendors, Trail Team, and attendees were all cool! It was great to put a face to the names of so many that I have conversed with on this forum. If you missed the previous Summits I highly suggest not missing this one, you never know if there is going to be another. The trails are not hard and the area is incredible, just take a look at some of the photos that have been posted.

I have a room booked but I am more than likely going to drop it and skip this years event. The economy is what it is and we as a family have decided to make one trip this year and it is going to be something different than last years.

The guys that put this event on do a great job and have a big task in front of them this year. I sincerely hope that Toyota helps out in any way possible since there is no announcement of a Trail Team happening this year. Support what you love!

·
Banned
1,538 Posts
Guess I need to slow down.

Funny these issues are brought up now. They were brought up the week after, along with other short comings. This was shut down by mods that happen to be a part of the summit that got their feelings hurt.

Still waiting on my non profit ID receipt.

I can be asked my opinion via PMs but $% forbid in a public forum, truth be told before people pay to go.
Open carry, CCW, guns in general all are great in the correct atmosphere.
I take it if the event was in Japan, you'd show up in a gee, headband and a samurai sword. AT least wear spurs and a hat next time cowboy...

Ask me via PM about vendors getting the short end of the stick, or trail assignments, along with a host of other items.

I'm not just playing negative Nancy here there were great things about the trips....i'm just not wasting cash on the parts I didn't enjoy.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Jerry, I appreciate your comments.

If you were carrying, I did not know and that is my point. Keep it to yourself.

In my opinion, if the summit is neutral or supports open carry side arms in the tent area, my family is not attending. That would not be the kind of event I would want to be a part of. No plans to attend the AZ events either.

Side arms on trails is another issue all together and If I saw it on a trail, we would just leave, no big deal.

Not realy going to stress about it, will wait and see how things shake out.

I am not against guns or gun ownership, I grew up hunting with my dad.
That would be unfortunate Chris, but of course, your decision. If I get what you are saying, if the two members of the FJSummit committee decide to support/follow the laws of the State of CO and the town of Ouray, you won't participate.

You do know that you live in a state where it is legal to "open carry", that is unless you are in one of the cities (like we have here in NC) that choose to pass laws restricting the state law. And, I could find nothing on the "books" where Ouray is a town that restricts CO open carry laws.

In any event, I guess everyone will sit back and see what Seth and Tim decide to do...

·
Banned
1,538 Posts
I attended last years event with my two kids that were 5 and 7 at the time and we all had a blast. I did see someone carry a sidearm and I personally just though to myself "why"...I get that its because you can and the law says you can....its also another way of saying "look at me."

Beyond that I have never felt more safe or in more of a family environment, it was kinda liike being in Maybury. Lots of kids running around and having a great time with virtually no late night wildness and my room was just behind the main tent at the Best Western.

The vendors, Trail Team, and attendees were all cool! It was great to put a face to the names of so many that I have conversed with on this forum. If you missed the previous Summits I highly suggest not missing this one, you never know if there is going to be another. The trails are not hard and the area is incredible, just take a look at some of the photos that have been posted.

I have a room booked but I am more than likely going to drop it and skip this years event. The economy is what it is and we as a family have decided to make one trip this year and it is going to be something different than last years.

The guys that put this event on do a great job and have a big task in front of them this year. I sincerely hope that Toyota helps out in any way possible since there is no announcement of a Trail Team happening this year. Support what you love!
preach it brother.

Loving the classes and support from trail teams and the vendors. I just don't think they got all that fair a shake.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I dont know what happened to you Savvyav but I found that the trail assignments were quite flexible, I missed one run and had no trouble hopping in with another group. On top of that there were independent groups doing runs because most of the organized runs were done pretty early in the day.

The vendors that I spoke with and have visited with since all liked the Summit. So please enlighten us on how vendors got the short end of the stick?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Not long ago, I started a thread about firearms carry at the 2009 Summit. It was suggested that if I wanted to know what the law was in Ouray and the surrounding county(also Ouray) that I contact the folks that enforce the law. I did and explained what I found. To repeat: the Ouray Police and the County Sheriff follow Colorado law.
Also, I was told by other posters that the reason the person was open carrying was because he was from out of state and CO did not have reciprocity with that particular state so he could not carry concealed. Evidently others were carrying the whole summit, but because they were from states that had reciprocity with CO, they could carry concealed. So maybe it wasn't to be showing off that the person open carried.

In response to the question about why someone needs a gun on a trail near Ouray or on a road in CO or at a family event or driving to or from the event or walking down a quiet street in Ouray: I was told "my question was irrelevant. Rights are not defined on the basis of need and nobody 'needs' a reason to exercise a right. It is an individual's choice, whether she/he exercises a right or not."

In doing some further research, I read recommendations that came in after the last Summit. Under the thread: 'Official Suggestions for next years summit thread': Some folks have said that they would not lead a trail run if anyone had a gun on the trail run. Some have been modifiying their positions since then. Some, who appeared to be part of the leadership said that(p.7 post #68) 'alright before we go into major gun debate - the Summit team has already decided we will respectfully request that no guns are part of next year's event.....we feel this in in the best interest of everyone involved. thank you very much.'

The fact that people come from many different states and that CO does not have reciprocity with some states appears to be creating a problem for some folks who do not like to see people with guns(open carry) around themselves or their families. Others don't want people having guns whether they can see them or not because they are afraid of accidents and don't see any need for people to have them around Ouray or at such an event.

It would be easier if the summit was held in President Obama's home state(sarcasm(why do I 'feel' the 'need' to clarify?)).

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
Guess I need to slow down.

Funny these issues are brought up now. They were brought up the week after, along with other short comings. This was shut down by mods that happen to be a part of the summit that got their feelings hurt.

Still waiting on my non profit ID receipt.

I can be asked my opinion via PMs but $% forbid in a public forum, truth be told before people pay to go.
Open carry, CCW, guns in general all are great in the correct atmosphere.
I take it if the event was in Japan, you'd show up in a gee, headband and a samurai sword. AT least wear spurs and a hat next time cowboy...

Ask me via PM about vendors getting the short end of the stick, or trail assignments, along with a host of other items.

I'm not just playing negative Nancy here there were great things about the trips....i'm just not wasting cash on the parts I didn't enjoy.
Thanks for the explanation. I've never been to Summit so I had no idea about the previous issues.

I agree with what you're saying.....if there is to be a policy regarding something, it should be spelled out before anyone plunks down money to attend.

Sean

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
I get that its because you can and the law says you can....its also another way of saying "look at me."
I'm not singling you out here....but this comment has been made at least twice now and it needs a rebuttal.

First, I'm sure you guys making this argument are partially right. People who carry openly do so for the attention to some extent. However, there are many places in this country (almost exclusively rural....like Colorado, small towns in the deep South, Oklahoma, Texas, and Alaska...to name a few) where it is completely normal for someone to wear a sidearm 24/7. I've seen people in those communities open carry to church.

Just b/c it's something you aren't familiar with or used to doesn't make it wrong. Our founders didn't think it was wrong....here's a quote:

Thomas Jefferson: "The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."

It is, in fact, legal to carry openly in Ouray. You can choose not to....that is your right (to exercise or not exercise your right), but great folly lies in trying to dictate others' free exercise of their rights. What this country is in DESPERATE need of is people minding their own ****ing business. Concurrently, they also need to be mindful and vigilant in the defense of OTHER people's freedoms. If we allow groups to selectively and subjectively deem certain rights appropriate and attach negative connotations and stereotypes to certain legally protected behaviors, it will not be long before all of our rights are questionable, unprotected and subject to whim of the people instead of rule of law. Anarchy will follow.

Support what you love!
And that is precisely what Americans engaging in open carry are doing.

Whether you realize it or not, the attention these people may be seeking may not be individual as much as recognition of them exercising a legal, protected, Constitutional right. A right that has been demonized and villified to the point that though no one at Summit was drinking or behaving irresponsibly with an open carry firearm....people were fearful uncomfortable and anxious....to the point that they are contemplating boycotting what was likely an otherwise wonderful family experience.

I can tell you this: if Obama follows through on his campaign promises and bans/repeals concealed carry permits in all 50 states, I will begin carrying openly in protest. Not because I personally want attention.....solely b/c my rights have been abused and I have very little recourse other than writing representatives who care little about my rights, peaceful assembly and protest, and open carry.

Sean

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Not long ago, I started a thread about firearms carry at the 2009 Summit. It was suggested that if I wanted to know what the law was in Ouray and the surrounding county(also Ouray) that I contact the folks that enforce the law. I did and explained what I found. To repeat: the Ouray Police and the County Sheriff follow Colorado law.
Also, I was told by other posters that the reason the person was open carrying was because he was from out of state and CO did not have reciprocity with that particular state so he could not carry concealed. Evidently others were carrying the whole summit, but because they were from states that had reciprocity with CO, they could carry concealed. So maybe it wasn't to be showing off that the person open carried.

In response to the question about why someone needs a gun on a trail near Ouray or on a road in CO or at a family event or driving to or from the event or walking down a quiet street in Ouray: I was told "my question was irrelevant. Rights are not defined on the basis of need and nobody 'needs' a reason to exercise a right. It is an individual's choice, whether she/he exercises a right or not."

In doing some further research, I read recommendations that came in after the last Summit. Under the thread: 'Official Suggestions for next years summit thread': Some folks have said that they would not lead a trail run if anyone had a gun on the trail run. Some have been modifiying their positions since then. Some, who appeared to be part of the leadership said that(p.7 post #68) 'alright before we go into major gun debate - the Summit team has already decided we will respectfully request that no guns are part of next year's event.....we feel this in in the best interest of everyone involved. thank you very much.'

The fact that people come from many different states and that CO does not have reciprocity with some states appears to be creating a problem for some folks who do not like to see people with guns(open carry) around themselves or their families. Others don't want people having guns whether they can see them or not because they are afraid of accidents and don't see any need for people to have them around Ouray or at such an event.

It would be easier if the summit was held in President Obama's home state(sarcasm(why do I 'feel' the 'need' to clarify?)).
Nice post...

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
That would be unfortunate Chris, but of course, your decision. If I get what you are saying, if the two members of the FJSummit committee decide to support/follow the laws of the State of CO and the town of Ouray, you won't participate.

You do know that you live in a state where it is legal to "open carry", that is unless you are in one of the cities (like we have here in NC) that choose to pass laws restricting the state law. And, I could find nothing on the "books" where Ouray is a town that restricts CO open carry laws.

In any event, I guess everyone will sit back and see what Seth and Tim decide to do...

What's odd to me is how it is at all legally enforceable for a city or municipality to make a law that trumps state or federal law.

I know Chicago, NYC, DC and even Denver have been able to do it....but I'm not sure why.

Where is NRA on this issue? Do they just not wish to engage these kinds of suits?

That's where the Second Amendment Foundation and Gun Owners of America have the NRA beat. NRA only jumps on bandwagons now....case in point, the confiscation lawsuit on the city of NOLA brought by SAF....to which NRA attached itself and rode the coat tails to victory.

Sean

21 - 40 of 66 Posts