Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
it's unfortunate that something that doesn't involve any of us.... nor does it change the summit... can change a person's mind. It's an automotive rally/event.... why can't we just have fun and enjoy everyone's company?
I agree completely, it is sad that some people are making decisions that are probably based on innuendo and gossip. I doubt that the politics of the organizers will affect the attendees.

Last year was a lot of fun, we enjoyed putting faces to many of the members of the forum. I am not sure how some of the vendors "got screwed". Considering that Springtail probably had the most remote location, we felt that the exposure was wonderful and that seeing the other vendors products in person was great. The organizers were accomodating and the the events seemed well organized. It is true that you could go on your own...but I can say from experience that FJ Summit is a super value compared to the competing off-road vacations (cost for 2 adults at a Ouray Jeep event would be $500.00). AND you will just be missing out on a bunch of fun!

I would highly recommend the experience to anyone.:bigthumb:

Sadly, we will not be attending the Summit this year...this is due to a scheduling conflict and has nothing to do with organizers of the event.

Doc

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,388 Posts
If sacraficing individual freedoms "for the greater good" of society makes for a "more perfect Union". Does sacraficing ALL rights make a perfect one?????

Edit: Can't remember where I heard that or if I got the quote right.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
If sacraficing individual freedoms "for the greater good" of society makes for a "more perfect Union". Does sacraficing ALL rights make a perfect one?????

Edit: Can't remember where I heard that or if I got the quote right.

Thought provoking....but many will not be able to make the mental leap.

Sean

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
What's odd to me is how it is at all legally enforceable for a city or municipality to make a law that trumps state or federal law?

I know Chicago, NYC, DC and even Denver have been able to do it....but I'm not sure why.

Where is NRA on this issue? Do they just not wish to engage these kinds of suits.

That's where the Second Amendment Foundation and Gun Owners of America have the NRA beat. NRA only jumps on bandwagons now....case in point, the confiscation lawsuit on the city of NOLA brought by SAF....to which NRA attached itself and rode the coat tails to victory.

Sean
Actually, the latest Supreme Court decision regarding the anti-hand gun ownership law in DC was overturned. This was/is a precedent setting decision by the US Supreme Court in defense of our 2nd amendment right.

Here is a link to the story from this summer's decision

High court strikes down gun ban - CNN.com

So, maybe such decisions will be erased but I'm sure they will have to be challenged through the legal system for that to happen...

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
Ya, the Heller decision basically states a municipality cannot outright ban firearms.

However, it leaves a LOT of wiggle room for "sensible regulation".....which can be twisted to fit whatever agenda you want.

You're not encroaching on the 2nd Amendment if you allow .22LR single shots....b/c you can still own a firearm...it's just not very effective.

**EDIT*** And, to my knowledge, Heller was brought about by Mr. Heller without the NRA (at least at first).
Sean

·
Registered
37 Posts
WOW! I have to say that I am quite surprised. What happened to "if you don't have something nice to say....."? Maybe I can't believe this thread because I am neutral on the open carry subject, but, come on guys. This is about the experience! We took our 2 children last year & had a wonderful time. Of course, there were a few things that we would have liked to have been different, but, that's life! Matter of fact, we had such a good time, that we have since talked a few friends into buying a FJ & coming along this year. We have been anxiously awaiting since the day we left last year. Point is, no matter where you go for vacation, what you are involved in, or what you pay for, you can always find something wrong. Glass half full? Or glass half empty? Take the good with the bad. We can't wait to come back!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
You do realize attendees chances of a mechanical failure or driver error while on one of these beautiful trails could much more easily lead to death than any accidental discharge, right?

You also realize that one of the attendees is FAR more likely to be killed in a car accident on the way to or the way home from Summit as well, right?

Needless worry to say the least....statistically speaking anyway. I just find it odd what some people choose to fear.

Sean
Thanks, now I don't have to say it.

:rocker:

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
What alarms me is the negative assumptions made by some that someone who chooses to exercise their right to open carry, might be a "nut" and crack, that this person's mental sanity is open to question because they have a firearm on their hip. Why this leap of fear and uncertainty exists is a mystery to me. I wonder if the Summit committee has proper insurance if someone were to go nuts with a Hi-lift jack handle and start bashing people in the head, I could see that happening way before someone going on a shooting rampage.

...I guess I did well since you apparently didn't know I was carrying also and will continue to so as long as I'm doing it legally and within my rights as a citizen of the country...
X2. Tough to argue with no matter what "side" your on... Well said.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
One is for fighting, one is for fun.. I suppose they are referring to protecting the children in the former and the wives, GF's in the latter;cowsmile:.. Cheers... noR

Apparently not Jarhead; rifle yes, gun no :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
It would seem to me that the Summit crew might want to educate themselves overall in gun safety and the laws concerning them.

And also on the Second Amendment.
It's Second only to the First for very good reason!

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

M

·
Banned
1,538 Posts
I dont know what happened to you Savvyav but I found that the trail assignments were quite flexible, I missed one run and had no trouble hopping in with another group. On top of that there were independent groups doing runs because most of the organized runs were done pretty early in the day.

The vendors that I spoke with and have visited with since all liked the Summit. So please enlighten us on how vendors got the short end of the stick?
I was bumped from every run i signed up for and was "reassigned" on site, to be told once I showed each morn that it was "full". I signed up well in advance and was early to the 7am runs... I'm sure a lot of folks got through fine, but this was the second year this happened (every run this time) so we made the most of it and had a GREAT time, just not of ANY value related to the summit.

I'll let vendor speak for them selves, there were issues, just not my place to vent. I support the vendors, some more than others, just look at my FJ.

I don't feel I received my moneys worth and felt the support after the fact became unglued...obviously due to trouble with in the ranks.

My issue? Lack of follow through and complete shut down after the fact when issues were brought to light as some organizers got there feelings hurt.

Someone seemed to have looked back at feedback (which was quite constructive including positive highlights) and PMed me regarding this. I'm over it now and hope all will have fun as i'm sure they will.

My point is to inform the consumer of a realistic expectation and to plan accordingly.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I believe Monty Python said it best.. "Promise you'll tell us about Pointed Sticks"

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I say keep the firearms home.... then you don't have to carry it in the "open".... what's the big deal? Seriously? this is nothing but a political matter that a person is being asked to do something and they don't want to do... cry a friggin river... get over it. If being respectful we wouldn't have 15 (exagerated) fawkin threads like this. Great your a man with a gun... I'm over it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I find it refreshing that we are having this discussion about Concel vs. open carry vs guns at all.

If the summit was happening in my state, New Jersey, the discussion would be why you should'nt be called a criminal for legally owning a gun.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts