Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 07 MT since new and am now ready to start modding. The first thing I want to change is the suspension, wheels and tires. I have wheeled for years in land rovers and the stance of the FJ is really similar to that of the stock Defender so I know it won't do what I want it to in stock form.

I haven't wheeled in years but use to go to Telico several times a year and anywhere else I could make it to.
My goals are:
1. Maintain on-road drive quality
2. Level the stance
3. Off road performance
5. Articulation
6. Clearance

So... The first question is 3" or 6". With the 6" I can obviously run but 36" tires and am limited to 33" tires with the 3 inch lifts. Normally the reason for larger tires is for more clearance but I'm not certain that clearance is realized with the drop boxes used for the IFS on the fj. Now, someone will say that you can run 35's with a 3 inch but personally I think that looks like crap and I am not a fan of stuffing that much tire into the fender wells.

The next question is who to go with. I had landed on the Fabtech 6" with the DirtLogic shocks or the Icon 3 inch.

There are a lot of opinion posts out there and you know what they say about opinions... but I'm asking for opinions specifically to my goal. Good on and off road performance.

Bottom line:
1. Is a 3" or a 6" better for on/off road performance?
2. Which lift in each category do ya'll reccomend?

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
I've had my 07 MT since new and am now ready to start modding. The first thing I want to change is the suspension, wheels and tires. I have wheeled for years in land rovers and the stance of the FJ is really similar to that of the stock Defender so I know it won't do what I want it to in stock form.

I haven't wheeled in years but use to go to Telico several times a year and anywhere else I could make it to.
My goals are:
1. Maintain on-road drive quality
2. Level the stance
3. Off road performance
5. Articulation
6. Clearance

So... The first question is 3" or 6". With the 6" I can obviously run but 36" tires and am limited to 33" tires with the 3 inch lifts. Normally the reason for larger tires is for more clearance but I'm not certain that clearance is realized with the drop boxes used for the IFS on the fj. Now, someone will say that you can run 35's with a 3 inch but personally I think that looks like crap and I am not a fan of stuffing that much tire into the fender wells.

The next question is who to go with. I had landed on the Fabtech 6" with the DirtLogic shocks or the Icon 3 inch.

There are a lot of opinion posts out there and you know what they say about opinions... but I'm asking for opinions specifically to my goal. Good on and off road performance.

Bottom line:
1. Is a 3" or a 6" better for on/off road performance?
2. Which lift in each category do ya'll reccomend?
For on road and off road, you will NOT want a 6" lift IMO. Too "tipy" offroad with no real increase in articulation (vs. a good 3" lift) and I don't think a big lift with 36" MT tires is ever going to perform well on road.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
36 was a typo, I meant 35. Are the 6" coil over lifts with sway bars retained really all that tipy? Are they more tipy than a 3" long travel kit? I would think the amount of sway wouldn't be that different especially if the amount of articulation doesn't change. Unless you are refering to the change in the center of gravity which it sounds like you are. I guess I'm looking for pros and cons from people that have had the various lifts. If you have a 3" have you wished you had a 6? If you have a 6 do you wish you had a 3" If so why?

Whatever I do this is a considerable investment so I want to make sure I do the right things. I went just about everywhere in my stock D90 which had 265's on it but had issues in a disco I had 285's on so it really is vehicle dependent.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
36 was a typo, I meant 35. Are the 6" coil over lifts with sway bars retained really all that tipy? Are they more tipy than a 3" long travel kit? I would think the amount of sway wouldn't be that different especially if the amount of articulation doesn't change. Unless you are refering to the change in the center of gravity which it sounds like you are. I guess I'm looking for pros and cons from people that have had the various lifts. If you have a 3" have you wished you had a 6? If you have a 6 do you wish you had a 3" If so why?

Whatever I do this is a considerable investment so I want to make sure I do the right things. I went just about everywhere in my stock D90 which had 265's on it but had issues in a disco I had 285's on so it really is vehicle dependent.
the travel kit is to keep the fj's tires on the ground when it's got mad flex. 6" lift puts it higher in the air. So no the travel kit will NOT be as tippy as a 6" lift. These two setups work in the opposite directions in a sense.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I reckon I'll have to disagree with ya. There are lots of posts that show of how sexy one lift or another is and posts that list details of individual kits. What I'm looking for is a pro and con list from people that actually have the lift about what they like and or don't like on/off road from people that actually use them. I've seen all of these threads and hundreds more.

I'm really asking, based on the experience the people have here after installing their lifts and using them off road what are the pros and cons of 6" and 3" lifts. A lot of the posts are older and I know companies like FabTech, ProComp, Icon etc.. have made a lot of advancements in their kits over the past few months.

I'm actually leaning toward 3 inch due to the fact that I want to continue to travel in my FJ (it's a 07 with 105k miles so I drive a lot) but I also want to start wheeling again. However, I don't want it to be a rock craweler. At the same time the FJ is a big vehicle and the proportions of the 6" and 35's actually looks about right while the 3" with 285's almost looks like too much tire.

So... I'm looking for input from people that have added both and what they like and don't like about the choice they made.

seems a little excessive if you ask me. We hasve a wealth of knowledge here in the forum, here's a few threads I pulled up by using advance search:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/suspension-steering-tech/121760-lifted-fj-sticky.html

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-lift-listing-comparison-theyre-all-here.html

here's the subforum you can look over:

Suspension / Steering Tech - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the travel kit is to keep the fj's tires on the ground when it's got mad flex. 6" lift puts it higher in the air. So no the travel kit will NOT be as tippy as a 6" lift. These two setups work in the opposite directions in a sense.

I'm actually kind of leaning toward the ICON long travel kit. I like the looks of your rig. Do you have any photo threads aside from your build thread? I don't see any good side or off camber shots.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts

Yes, it would be more tipy, how much more, I am not sure. I have only ridden in a 6" lifted FJ on the streets. The reason it would be more tipy is the fact that it is 3" higher off the ground with the same wheel base - so yest the change in the center of gravity. The articulation actually makes it less tippy. The weight of the wheel drooping brings the center of gravity down.
The 3" long travel has a 2"-3.5" wider stance (depending which kit you get); hence, the wider wheel base offsets the increased height. The long travel set up is going to cost you much more than any 3" or 6" coilover setup, so keep that in mind (trust me I know:mecry:)

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
I'm actually kind of leaning toward the ICON long travel kit. I like the looks of your rig. Do you have any photo threads aside from your build thread? I don't see any good side or off camber shots.
I have the Total Chaos long travel kit with long travel Icon coilovers. This is different than the extended travel icon coilovers.

I have pictures on my thread, some with my old extended travel Icons and a few (will have more after this weekend at the Razorback Ramble at Superlift ORV park) of my new long travel kit.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Also, when you look at mine, keep in mind that I have 285/70/17 tires but I do not have my coilovers cranked up to 3" and I have a 6K pound vehicle after adding the bumpers, roof rack, winch, skid plates, onboard air, compressor, aux fuel tank, dual battery, tools, etc.

Hence, my lift height is probably only 1.5" but I could adjust it up if I wanted to...to make it look like there is less tire filling up the wheel well.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
A 285 does not look to big for a 3" lift IMO.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
My rig has OME 885 fronts and 895 rear (heavies). No long travel kit. I do have my sway bars off, thus why it looks like it's got a good stretch flexing. The only Icon product I have is the adjustable LCA's for the rear.

Here's some pics:

Cruise Moab 08 pictures by athenaceleste - Photobucket

feel free to look around my photobucket, I have 100's of pics there. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
I have a 6" lift and love it. With the requests you posed: drive ability, performance, etc. I would go with a 3" lift. Reasons:

There are more skid plate options for the 3" lift and your center of gravity is still lower.
You will not need to re-gear if you run 33" tires. If you plan on traveling as you say, the gearing would need to be redone if you put on 35" tires and if traveling especially in mountain areas or very windy areas.
You may not need to chop the body mounts if running 33" where as 35" you will.
I hit my fender wells in the rear and some areas in the front when stuffing the 35" tire where a 33" tire would clear.
6" lifts require bigger wheels (17" usually) so that may require a purchase of new wheels and tires.
6" lifts are bracket lifts. With the RC lift you maintain your stock cross member and the others (if I am not mistaken) require the cutting and removal of your cross member and welding the new bracket in place.
With 6" lifts, some aftermarket bumper bash plates will not fit due to the removal of the stock skid plate and more fabrication is required to fit parts etc.
The "tippy" feeling on mine was there with the stock 31" tires and the 6" lift. When I changed to 35" x 12.5 the "tippy" feeling was gone.
I also had to run spacers because I wanted to keep my stock 16" wheels. Some people hate spacers and some tire shops as well.
Honestly, my rig with the 6" lift is the same height as a stock Ford 4x4 truck.
You do get more flex out of the rear with a 6" lift but remember the front is still IFS so you aren't gaining there (or if you are it is probably minimal).
Approach angle, break-over, and departure are increased more with a 6"lift as opposed to a 3"
My ride in the rear is harsher due to the heavier springs and cheap RC shocks in the rear. I put Radflo's coil-overs in the front and they are awesome. i will eventually change to Radflo's in the rear and add a swing out bumper and hopefully that will tame the harshness.
The 6" has added weight due to components being beefed up.

To close I would say that the 6" is going to cost you more money due to changing of more parts (wheels & tires) & (installation), fabrication to make aftermarket stuff fit, etc. There seems to be less aftermarket products available for a 6" lift. I love the look of my 6" lift and it's abilities, I just need more cash to get it where I want it. With a 3" lift, I don't think it would have taken as long. Here are some before and after of mine.

Stock side view & front view:

With 6" lift & ARB:

Good luck in your decision and enjoy your FJ!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My rig has OME 885 fronts and 895 rear (heavies). No long travel kit. I do have my sway bars off, thus why it looks like it's got a good stretch flexing. The only Icon product I have is the adjustable LCA's for the rear.

Here's some pics:

Cruise Moab 08 pictures by athenaceleste - Photobucket

feel free to look around my photobucket, I have 100's of pics there. :bigthumb:
Damn that's a lot of pictures! Thanks for the link and info.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I have a 6" lift and love it. With the requests you posed: drive ability, performance, etc. I would go with a 3" lift. Reasons:

There are more skid plate options for the 3" lift and your center of gravity is still lower.
You will not need to re-gear if you run 33" tires. If you plan on traveling as you say, the gearing would need to be redone if you put on 35" tires and if traveling especially in mountain areas or very windy areas.
I hit my fender wells in the rear and some areas in the front when stuffing the 35" tire where a 33" tire would clear.
6" lifts require bigger wheels (17" usually) so that may require a purchase of new wheels and tires.
6" lifts are bracket lifts. With the RC lift you maintain your stock cross member and the others (if I am not mistaken) require the cutting and removal of your cross member and welding the new bracket in place.
With 6" lifts, some aftermarket bumper bash plates will not fit due to the removal of the stock skid plate and more fabrication is required to fit parts etc.
The "tippy" feeling on mine was there with the stock 31" tires and the 6" lift. When I changed to 35" x 12.5 the "tippy" feeling was gone.
I also had to run spacers because I wanted to keep my stock 16" wheels. Some people hate spacers and some tire shops as well.
You do get more flex out of the rear with a 6" lift but remember the front is still IFS so you aren't gaining there (or if you are it is probably minimal).
Approach angle, break-over, and departure are increased more with a 6"lift as opposed to a 3"
My ride in the rear is harsher due to the heavier springs and cheap RC shocks in the rear. I put Radflo's coil-overs in the front and they are awesome. i will eventually change to Radflo's in the rear and add a swing out bumper and hopefully that will tame the harshness.

To close I would say that the 6" is going to cost you more money due to changing of more parts (wheels & tires) & (installation), fabrication to make aftermarket stuff fit, etc. There seems to be less aftermarket products available for a 6" lift. I love the look of my 6" lift and it's abilities, I just need more cash to get it where I want it. With a 3" lift, I don't think it would have taken as long. Here are some before and after of mine.

^^ great post! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

With 6" lift & ARB:

Really nice looking rig. That's the kind of feedback I was looking for, thanks! I've also spoken to a couple of other people and I think this is what I have decided...

It seems that the 6" and 35's is overkill for me and possibly not even the best performing option for my purposes. Therefore I think what makes more sense is to go with a good 3 inch and if that turns out to not be quite enough I can then add a small body lift.

So... now which 3" lift do I go with? The Icon stage 3 looks nice. Anyone with a long travel or coil over have any pro's and or cons? I like the idea of a wider stance but also want my tires to at least tuck under bushwackers.

Now that I've decided on 3" here are the things I think are iimportant
1. Quality
2. Quality
3. Reliability
4. being able to use readily available skids etc...
5. Articulation
6. Ride quality
7. Post purchase support
8. I'll probably go with 285's but a narrower tire vs a fatter one

I want to be able to drive this thing hundreds of miles, wheel it and then drive it home. This setup wouldn't allow me to crawl the toughest trails but would do most moderate to hard trails. The extreme trails aren't trails I'd want to do in my FJ anyway.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, so I've been researching the Icon stage 3 and the All Pro LT system.

This: https://www.allprooffroad.com/images/stories/Tacoma/suspension/longtravel/fjlt.jpg is just flat hot.

Here are some questions I have about that system that I am researching now
1. Since the system is just for the front what would be best to use in the rear?
2. To get the back to mach the front i'd have to use spacers or a custom axle. Custom isn't something I want to do. Are spacers as bad as they sound?
3. Would the tires extend beyond bushwacker flares?
4. How would you compare this to the Icon stage 3?

These 2 lifts are really appealing o me. Based on these 2 are there any others I should be researching?

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
answers to questions #2 and #3:

you're going to get an absolute split answer on spacers. Some people swear they're ok, other's will say they're not. My husband absolutely hated them due to past experiences 20 years ago. These days, the product's much better. In fact for the time being we have spider trax on our rear. As soon as we put our swampers on again, they'll be coming off. #3 bushwhackers extend pretty far out there. Here's a pic with 1.5" spacer on my rear with the bushwhacker.

Hope that helps a little ;)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts