Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy the 2013 TTSE and found out the advertised "Beadlock-style" is fake.

I hope Toyota makes amends and either uses truth in advertising or uses real beadlocks.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Beadlocks are made for ease of changing the tire in the event of a flat. The reason that they are easier to change is the lack of a lip to hold the tire on the rim. While this works fine for lower pressure rides it is not as safe on roads at higher speed therefore almost all beadlock tires are not DOT approved. The one glaring exception is the beadlocks on the Ford Raptor, however, they are not true beadlocks as they have a lip for the tire and the metal ring. There are several places that will add a beadlock to the stock rims.

Another reason that Toyota likely won't add a true bead-lock is that they require more maintenance than a standard rim due to having to torque the bolts properly so they don't loosen overtime. Most people are lazy and don't take as good care of their vehicles as the folks here so more maintenance is bad. Also most people do not use their vehicle in a way that would make beadlocks beneficial.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Pretty sure real beadlocks arent legal on the street in majority of the states in the U.S. anyways. So I doubt we will ever have that become a reality. OMF does convert them though and they look killer. Im ok with my simulated beadlock TRDs though. Sure beat the other stock wheel options in my opinion.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I am about to buy the 2013 TTSE and found out the advertised "Beadlock-style" is fake.

I hope Toyota makes amends and either uses truth in advertising or uses real beadlocks.
I think you said it yourself.....Beadlock-style.
I don't think Toyota has every made the statement that their wheels were beadlock wheels. So are beadlock-style fakes???
Jax':wave:

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Pretty sure real beadlocks arent legal on the street in majority of the states in the U.S. anyways. So I doubt we will ever have that become a reality. OMF does convert them though and they look killer. Im ok with my simulated beadlock TRDs though. Sure beat the other stock wheel options in my opinion.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Hutchinson are DOT approved and street legal. I think there are a few others that are.
http://www.filthymotorsports.com/Hutchinson_Beadlocks_p/hutchinson.htm

Toyota is not going to make a legit beadlock wheel on the TT FJ. They just won't. There is no reason for them to. There are FAR more other beneficial offroad mods that they could do with much less hassle, and they won't even do those.

I remember reading an article about the Ford Raptors wheels. Supposedly they could be ran as normal wheels, or beadlock wheels, with the same wheel. You would just need to pull the outer bead over the lip and use a bead lock ring.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
The Raptor wheels require you to have the dealership convert the wheels. While not a true bead lock in the sense, they are closer than anyone else has offered.

To the OP- Look into my signature about mounting beadlocks- takes about 1/2 a day and that flying and changing on trail is about as ridiculous as it comes. Ive broken beads with hi-lifts and it still was a B****!

I do like than mine airdown to zero and still stay balanced.

-OC

·
Premium Member
17,642 Posts
Beadlocks aren't for ease of changing flats. Sure you can do it yourself but as OC said its anything, but a quick change. That's what you've got a spare wheel/beadlock and tire for and I don't see many folks carrying around additional spare unmounted tires to use in the event of a flat.

Most folks use beadlock to retain the outerbead to the rim at very low air pressures during rock crawling. In reality not many folks with FJCs run tires which are even suitable to air down to that pressure. Sure you can but that doesn't neccessarily mean they will work better.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I remember reading an article about the Ford Raptors wheels. Supposedly they could be ran as normal wheels, or beadlock wheels, with the same wheel. You would just need to pull the outer bead over the lip and use a bead lock ring.
Sorry to stray off-topic, but this is how my converted steelies are. They can be used with or without the beadlock ring. :)

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts