Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got these off Amazon for a great price. Seem to check all the genuine boxes that I could find out there… particularly the bluish tips with welding vs machining which is usually one of the tell-tale signs.

What do you think?

Tire Automotive tire Household hardware Gas Font

Hypodermic needle Plastic bottle Fluorescent lamp Cylinder Gas

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Gas Auto part

Automotive exhaust Automotive lighting Serveware Auto part Metal

Camera accessory Household hardware Cylinder Font Auto part

· Registered
214 Posts
Never ever purchase auto parts from Amazon ... high probability they are counterfeit. Amazon is a fulfillment company ... period ... so has absolutely no obligation as to the legitimacy of any product. And even if one purchases a legitimate product via Amazon ... given Amazon is not an "Approved Supplier" ... any warranty WILL NOT be honored.

· Registered
7,930 Posts

· Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
'Denso' printing on the insulator doesn't look right ... irregular & lumpy.

Here's Denso's guide to identifying counterfeit plugs:
https://www.denso-technic.com/images/news/en/2020/identify-counterfeit-denso-spark-plugs.pdf
I've looked at that and numerous videos and as far as I can tell, these plugs are legitimate - the tip is the most important part and where most fakes cheat significantly by not using iridium which has a blueish finish and Denso clearly says to look for a laser welded tip vs fakes which have machined tip. And these photos clearly show an Iridium blue with laser weld on the tip, and the tip measure 0.04-0.05mm which is what Denso says to look for. I think if you're going to cheat on a spark plug fake, you're going to cheat on the iridium tip for sure - otherwise you're not saving anything.

Product Output device Peripheral Audio equipment Gas

Keep in mind that the photos I'm providing are significantly larger than life.

Having said that, I agree that the printing seems questionable, and the way the electrode is connected to the base of the spark plug looks suspicious as well.

The key red flags for me are the price (about $7CAD per plug) and the source... Amazon.

I plan to try and buy at least one Denso plug locally tomorrow from a proper auto parts retailer to compare but it seems all the local parts stores only carry the twin tip versions. So a direct compare will probably be impossible.

I'll probably send these back to Amazon and just go with a sure thing, the price difference is not a big deal at the end of the day. It's actually pretty sad that this thread even has to exist. :(

· Premium Member
4,030 Posts
The supply chain has turned downright hostile since COVID. I work in aerospace and every project we take on has an exemption for supply chain issues. It jumps out at some of the most unexpected situations.

· Registered
768 Posts
I would suggest to buy a real Toyota/ND spark plug, in person, at the parts counter in your nearest real Toyota dealership, even if they have to order it in. Then compare the spark plugs, the boxes, and the packaging insert microscopically. If there are any differences, then buy five more spark plugs from the dealership. If you have a good relationship with the dealer, they may mark the price down a little for you. If not, then get a cup of strong coffee from their coffee machine since you've paid enough to deserve one. They have very nice, fresh ground coffee at dealer near me.

Reactions: Datajockeys

· Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would suggest to buy a real Toyota/ND spark plug, in person, at the parts counter in your nearest real Toyota dealership, even if they have to order it in. Then compare the spark plugs, the boxes, and the packaging insert microscopically. If there are any differences, then buy five more spark plugs from the dealership. If you have a good relationship with the dealer, they may mark the price down a little for you. If not, then get a cup of strong coffee from their coffee machine since you've paid enough to deserve one. They have very nice, fresh ground coffee at dealer near me.
I called the dealer and they have Denso OE plugs for $5. But they are copper with a 30K interval. I’d rather get Iridium and the parts guy said they don’t carry that for the FJ. But I do love a good coffee :)

· Registered
768 Posts
I see that the 2008 FJ uses ND K20HR-U11 plugs. My 2013 uses SK20HR11 plugs which are iridium and the dealer should certainly be able to get those plugs. Both are heat range 20, and both have 1.1mm gaps. Are the plugs for the 2013 a close enough match to use in a 2008? The only difference seems to be the 'U' for the U-groove and the 'S' for iridium with platinum tip.

Reactions: Virtual-Chris

· Registered
7,930 Posts
I see that the 2008 FJ uses ND K20HR-U11 plugs. My 2013 uses SK20HR11 plugs which are iridium and the dealer should certainly be able to get those plugs. Both are heat range 20, and both have 1.1mm gaps. Are the plugs for the 2013 a close enough match to use in a 2008? The only difference seems to be the 'U' for the U-groove and the 'S' for iridium with platinum tip.
Denso Application Guide says that for a 2008 FJ Cruiser, SK20HR11 are the correct long-life iridium-electrode plugs.

The following are also compatible:
PKH20TT - Platimum center electrode
IKH20TT - 0.4mm iridium center electrode, 0.7mm platinum ground electrode
IKH20 - 0.4mm iridium center electrode & U-groove ground electrode

Denso spark plug appication guide: DENSO Auto Parts | Home

· Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, that's helpful to know... as the parts guy just offers the plug the system recommends for a 2008... he has no way to cross-reference. So I'll inquire with the dealer on Monday. I've also found that Canadian Tire (a big retailer here) is a Denso authorized dealer and can get the Twin Tip (IKH20TT) so it seems I have a couple options. I'm going to stall returning the Amazon plugs until after I get another set to compare.

· Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How good of a deal did you get? Spark plugs aren't too expensive at the dealership.
The dealer sells the old copper plugs for $5. The Iridium long life plugs at Amazon were $7 ($28 for a set of 4). The Iridium Twin Tips are available locally from auto parts stores for $14 to $21 depending on the shop. So buying from brick and mortar is 2-3x the price of Amazon, which was a big red flag for me on the authenticity of the Amazon plugs. I'll see what the dealer wants for the Iridium version used in the 2010+ engine.

· Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's a real set from Denso, not a Toyota part. Looks a bit different but it's minor.
The fakes clearly have evolved… It’s incredibly hard to determine with any certainty what’s real vs fake. It seems the Denso guides and videos are based on early fakes, it’s now to the point where you have to be an expert with genuine and fake side-by-side to tell the difference. I feel for the average DIY mechanic as they have no real hope.

· Registered
7,930 Posts
"I feel for the average DIY mechanic as they have no real hope."

No, just buy from authorized Denso distributors and you'll always get genuine Denso parts.

Make your purchase at swap meets, eBay, Amazon, etc. and you are at risk.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts