Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Actually, yes it does.

For all it does right, the FJ has very, very little rear visibility.

Seriously, anything shorter than the top of the spare tire directly behind the vehicle will be completely invisible to you in the driver's seat and to all mirrors.
Uh-oh, mine does not have one. Should I take it back, stop driving it?! Is there a TSB for this? ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
<threadhijack>
Does the most basic 4x4 really need a rear backup camera that displays in the rear view mirror ? Is this really a feature off-roaders are looking for?
I absolutely concur. However, the "herp derp" crowd is pushing this as a safety feature:

NHTSA Proposes Standard Backup Cameras in All Vehicles By 2014 - Auto Observer

Attributing a mandatory feature to "safety" is insufficient justification for me. For example, I have no issue with seat belts, but I draw the line against DRL's, backup cameras, and seat belt reminder chimes. If enough people get annoyed perhaps there will be a mod thread for disabling the camera. It looks like we will have to deal with FJ's coming from the factory with the camera from now on, though.

</threadhijack>

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
I think its crazy how you can't get some configurations/colors based on area. ie.. you can't get a 2011 Blue Manual trans in Kansas City, however it is available in Denver, CO - this is according to the toyota.com builder...
It isn't that you can't get them in KC, it is that there are only 11 in the USA in the Blue so far this year..

The Portland region (where I work) supplies Denver and KC with their vehicles as this is the port which all Japanese made vehicles come through for those regions.. I know you can get it..

Here is one closer to you than Denver
Cedric Theel Toyota
Bismark ND
701-223-2190
It is on the gound right now VIN JTEBU4BF8BK099269

Options
F CQ Remote Keyless Entry System, Cruise Control, Power Outside Mirrors with Illuminated Markers, Rear Privacy Glass, Rear Window Wiper, Spare Tire Cover, and Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror with Integrated Backup Camera Monitor
P CF Carpet Floor Mats & Cargo Mat

Accessories:
F AL 17" Alloy Wheels
F FE 50 State Emissions
F OF Off-Road Package:
P 3T Roof Rack

MSRP 31351.00
Invoice 28766.00

Call them and make a deal...

:cheers:

·
Registered
477 Posts
I don't think the camera should be required. Nanny is becoming more and more demented. Then again, someone keeps electing people to office who pass laws and appoint regulators that push this mentality. If you keep on doing what you're doing, you'll keep on getting more of what you've got.

That said, I find it helpful compared to our '7 when backing up or attaching a trailer.
The seat belt chime is annoying to me. The backup camera is not. I'm glad it is an option.

Several years ago there was a lot of discussion about the 'poor rearward visibility' of the FJ. Toyota offered a solution that did help visibility as well as their bottom line.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
It shows in the National Toyota dealer system, so it may not be on their site as of yet.. Not all dealers have the best in websites..

It has been there since Dec 20th.. 2010..

I don't know, I looked at the inventory also and I couldn't find it.. But the national system says it is there...

Funny,..

·
Registered
456 Posts
I saw an FJ in Denver that didn't have any mirror light. I didn't get a chance to see if it was a true base model though.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
It shows in the National Toyota dealer system, so it may not be on their site as of yet.. Not all dealers have the best in websites..

It has been there since Dec 20th.. 2010..

I don't know, I looked at the inventory also and I couldn't find it.. But the national system says it is there...

Funny,..
Are you a dealer? Asking since you have access to the national system. If so, aren't pr shouldn't the dealer sites just be their piece of the national system (i.e same database segregated by the dealer name)?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I tried to order a 2011 FJ 6-speed with just the Convenience and Upgrade packages.

After waiting for two months without any proof that my order would ever be accepted, I gave up and bought a 2011 with the Convenience and Off-Road packages off the floor.

This is just, unfortunately, the way Toyota works - they build "common configurations" and true custom orders are rare and take forever. :(
I hope this isn't another common practice. Actually put a deposit on a base model 4x4 Auto with only FE and the rear locker. No CQ or OF ! Did I just bag bigfoot or did I fall for another car salesman trick? Said delivery was estimated at 12 weeks. If this turns out to be legit, I might actually have something nice to say about a car salesman!

·
Registered
521 Posts
I hope this isn't another common practice. Actually put a deposit on a base model 4x4 Auto with only FE and the rear locker. No CQ or OF ! Did I just bag bigfoot or did I fall for another car salesman trick? Said delivery was estimated at 12 weeks. If this turns out to be legit, I might actually have something nice to say about a car salesman!
12 weeks sounds about right assuming Toyota accepts the order and actually builds it - that's the tricky bit.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Are you a dealer? Asking since you have access to the national system. If so, aren't pr shouldn't the dealer sites just be their piece of the national system (i.e same database segregated by the dealer name)?
Yes I am a dealer, I am a Sales Manager at Toyota of Kirkland, WA..

The dealer websites, some leave a lot to be desired, and some are just plain bad.. As car guys, the internet thing has gone over our heads..

That is why I can see it...

:cheers:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well, it's been about 6 months and I just got notified my factory order '11 AT should be at the Port of Los Angeles in about 10 days. I've seen the vehicle inquiry report and have a VIN. The only factory installed accessories are FE and DL. Don't want to jinx it but I may have bagged bigfoot! Would it be in bad taste to email a picture of it to the 9 dealers who told me that it was impossible to factory order a true base model?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Would it be in bad taste to email a picture of it to the 9 dealers who told me that it was impossible to factory order a true base model?
Nope...Show them the impossible!

....and we want pics when you get it.

KyFJGuy

·
Registered
2,698 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Well, it's been about 6 months and I just got notified my factory order '11 AT should be at the Port of Los Angeles in about 10 days. I've seen the vehicle inquiry report and have a VIN. The only factory installed accessories are FE and DL. Don't want to jinx it but I may have bagged bigfoot! Would it be in bad taste to email a picture of it to the 9 dealers who told me that it was impossible to factory order a true base model?

:clap: Wow Bigfoot is real! way to hang in there and get what you want and not what they wanted to sell you. Stealerships, oops I mean dealerships don't like to mess with strippers to much because there is not much profit in them, they make their $$ from the option packages mostly. You should send them pics of your Bigfoot (great name for your rig maybe?), but they most likely won't give a flying rats a$$!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm picking up a base iceberg manual tomorrow. It was ordered for another customer who ended up buying a used one. First manual I've seen on a lot in the Midwest. It was ordered from the factory in January and just showed up here a couple weeks ago. Just daytime running lights, steelies, no keyless entry. I love it already.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Picked up my base model a few weeks ago, just getting around to post it. I have to thank Bobby Head (480.760.5351) at Camelback Toyota in Phoenix. I emailed about 10 dealers in February. After multiple emails and phone calls, with the exception of Bobby, everyone said they couldn't factory order what I wanted. If I wanted an FJ then I needed to come in and get one off the lot AND a base model with just a rear locker was never going to happen. On the other hand Bobby said " I'll see what I can do ". A week later he called to tell me he could order it but needed a deposit. When the Tsunami hit Japan, the timeline got pushed way out. Bobby refunded the deposit and kept the order in. There was no upselling, no back and fourth, no BS. He changed my idea of what I a new car buying experience could be.

I have about 500 miles on it now. I get to do a little 4x4ing to and from work every day. It cuts 10 miles out of my daily commute. I just love how it handles the sand, rocks and the pavement. I couldn't be happier with the truck.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts