Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the NON-mechanic needs some again. I appreciate the help last. Originally I was planning on putting the 315/70/17 on my fj however when i went to my local tire / lift shop they feel it can only be done with a 6" lift. I called toytec and Brandon (who was helpful) says they only go 3 1/2" and that will not work. Being the extreme non-mechanic I am I need help. Brandon suggested 305/70/17 however I don't know ALL I will need to do this. I would get rear springs, coilover for the front??, gas shocks, upper / lower control arms. What else would I need??? I really don't want to go 6" but I don't wnt any rubbing. I want the ride to be as if I hadn't done anything at all. Is this possible?? Thx for any help.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
You'll need to do a body mount chop, and aftermarket upper control arms will help too. I'm running the Light Racing UCAs and I'm very happy with them.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I am running 315/70/17 BFG A/T's, with a 3" lift (Icon Coilovers up front, and Icon springs/ shocks in the rear). I had to chop the body mounts and run 1.5" wheel spacers in the front to get them to fit without rubbing, but it is definitely doable. I'm very happy with this setup so far.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thx for the info. One thing I dont understand. what do you mean body mount chop? I dont know what that is and when I told the guy at the tire shop he didnt either. Can u help?

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
The Body mounts up to your frame. If you take off the front mud flaps you will see a part of the frame sticking out toward the wheel well. I don't know why toyota designed it the way they did, but it sticks out way too far and seriously limits the size of tire you can run without cutting it back. The bigger the tire you want to run, the more aggressive you need to chop it. I'll post up some pics of my ghetto chop in a few. You will want to weld a plate over the end after you cut it back. Not the end of the world if you don't, but it looks a lot better and it is stronger.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
here are some pics of my body mount with a temporary chop. I will be making an even cut and welding a plate over the front soon.

Here are pics of TiTank's chop. He made his squared off and welded the plate on.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Thank you for the pics it helped alot
No problem. I had to remove the guard on my cutting wheel in order to make the cut. If you do this, be very careful. One slip and your nickname will be stubby. Also, be careful to not let the blade bite into the metal and pull it into the body or your sliders if you have them.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
I'd say go 305's until you know you need 315's. Why risk the rubbing, the body mount chop, the wheel spacers and all that mess when you don't really know if you need them. No reason to go big, just to go big. Stick with 305's and if down the road you feel like they are limiting you, you can always upgrade. You sound like this is a fairly new thing for you (no problem with that) so get out there and wheel your rig and get used to it as it is. From there, you'll have a better understanding of where you need help.

Just my $.02

1 - 11 of 11 Posts