Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i took my fj to the toyota dealer a few months ago to get my brake pads changed. and they came back and told me they were still good, had 2mm left on the front and 3mm left on the back. they told me to come back in 15k miles. Well after coming down a hill the other day, my rear brakes started smoking and smelling really bad. so i took my rig to the dealer last week to get my pads changed.

by the way, toyota pads are way better than any other pads you can get at an auto part store. I got 83K miles out of one set of toyota pads.

after waiting in the waiting room for an hour and a half, they came and told me that my rear axel was leaking onto my rear brake pads which was causing the smoking and bad smell. I went ahead and had them change my front pads and hold off on the rear pads. they said there is a seal in the rear axel that can go bad and they wanted $500 to change the 2 seals. i told them hell nooo...

Anyone ever had this happen? how difficult is it to change a seal and where can i get the seals? What kind of fluid is in the rear axel? is it grease? do i need to put more fluid back into my axel when i change the seals?

thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
$500 "WOW" That is Crazy with less that $100 in parts and oil. I would get a detail of what they are changing and the parts cost vs labor cost before you agree. Also if its leaking a lot don't drive it to much.

Keep us updated I would love to see the price breakdown.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mine was leaking for about a year before I finally changed it. I did not have Toyota fix it, just a local shop. I think it was $300 maybe?

·
Registered
657 Posts
A little warning here. I have an '07 that needed a rear diff. When they took it apart, they noticed one of the seals was leaking a bit. It just leaked enough to gum up the parking brake drum. Not even enough to be visible from the outside. They didn't want to finish the job because they didn't have a replacement bearing. They explained that the sealed bearing will not tolerate any diff oil on it. Apparently it dries up the bearing and it will fail in a few thousand kilometers. Maybe it was just them milking the warranty job but I doubt it. They had already pocketed enough changing the 3rd member. They also said changing the bearing was a pretty tricky job requiring precision. You should get a second opinion on this one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealer wants $500 to do both axel seals. I called the auto shop and the seals are only $10 each... what do i need to do to get to these leaks? do i need to pull the axel? any step by step instructions out there?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mine fj is no longer under warranty... 81k miles on her... any help guys???

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will i need to pull the axel? will i need to replace the bearings?

·
Registered
10 Posts
If or when you have this done, inspect the axle to make sure it is not bent or the surface where the bearing rides is not messed up. Otherwise, the bearing seal will fail in about 6-8 months after replacement

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is it possible for me to do this? or shall i pay the $500 for the dealer to do it

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Sure it's possible to do it, if you have tools and the will to use them. Yes, you'll have to remove the axle(s) to get to the seal(s). You'll have to drain the rear differential, remove the brake caliper and rotor, remove the parking brake, the speed sensor, and then the axle itself. Then pull the seal and install the new one, being careful not to bugger it when you drive it in. Lube the lip of the seal with assembly lube or grease before you put the axle back in. Put it all back together and re-fill the diff with gear oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts