Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Havn't been able to check the service manual, am away from home, but does the FJ rear end use the bearing as the axle seal or is there a separate seal much like the domestic vehicles use?
Had a plugged (frozen) breather and likely popped the seal. Have GL-5 on the backing plate and starting to show on the inside of the disc rotor. Noticed when filling up with gas, bit of a sulphur smell made me look. Trying to determine if I can fix in the field or wait another 2500mi till I get home. Long weekend dealers not open. :(
(Might find seal at jobber). Have Any of you replaced these? About 200000mi first oil leak so I can't complain I suppose; too bad it's -20f.
-C.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tnx TC!
Nice exploded view. So I need two seals. Likely bearing 3 is pressed onto the axle, press is not included in my basic tool kit...

Not loosing much oil, will top up and wash off the oil from the brakes/backing plate and continue onward, should be home on Wednesday where the shop is heated and have access to time & parts. Will call my dealer and check for TSBs maybe there is a recall or something.

Might post some pictures late next week if I do the work.

Great forum & participants!

-C.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I decided to get the work done by the local dealer, my unheated shop wasn't very inviting at -10F when I got home. Needed to get the repair done before heading back to the road.
Phil (The mechanic I used to work with) managed to save the brake pads and emergency brake shoes so that helped with the cost, two cans of break cleaner and they looked like new. Replaced both sides (seals) as the right one had a bit of freshly built-up oily dust around it too.

Will add a picture of the old seal once I figure out how to re-size it. No obvious damage other than from removal.

Will soon change the breather setup, may do the mod in this forum, really good idea!

-C.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New development...
Seal started leaking again. Removed hub and yes there is fresh oil under the bearing housing. Not affecting the brakes yet so will talk to the dealer and maybe will get warranty on the job. Looks like parts & labor covered for a year. Breather is free and clean so back-pressure certainly not a problem this time.
-C.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Having same issue: Noticed oil/dirt covering the entire inner wheel and break system, brought to dealer since still under warranty, BOTH SEALS ARE BAD ?!?!

Now, its an 07 MT w/ 78000 miles (90% highway, 10% city), SCUBA MOD done at 55k, 3" OME lift, 33" ATM tires.

My question is that i'm wondering if the Scuba breathers could possibly have had an effect on blowing the seals. Is it possible that there is a clog or perhaps the scuba filter isnt allowing enough flow which is causing back-pressure in the axle?

I'm by no means trying to blame anything on the Mod (I live Hoboken NJ and it floods every-time we get 2+" of rain...I LOVE THIS MOD), just want a peace of mind knowing that its probably just worn seals or something else.

Hopefully someone can chime in and un-tangle my stressed noggin :cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts