Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went in for an oil change to local Toyota dealer. They have been “ok” to work with in the past. After 2.5 hrs the service writer came over to find me. I was pretty upset about waiting so long for an oil change. He dismissed that, because he wanted to tell me I had a rear axle seal leaking. They wanted to fix for $550. Then he said it had ruined the rear brakes. They wanted another $600 to resurface rotors and replace pads. I paid for the oil change and left.
Going to take it to another dealer for rear seal ($450) and do the brakes myself. I think I can buy rotors and pads for less than $600.
Is rear axle seal leak a common problem? Is $450 an ok price?
How hard is it to replace pads and rotors on the rear?
FYI, 2010 with 190,000 mi on it.
Thx
Jeff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
At 190K miles the rear seals certainly could be worn to the point of leaking, but also make sure that the little breather fitting (actually a spring-loaded check valve) on the top of the rear axle housing is functional . Unscrew it and clean it carefully, then replace.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both. I don’t think I want to tackle the seal. One dealer was $575, the other is $400. Got an appointment with the second dealer next week. Sounds like I should plan on the drivers side leaking before too long. I’ll make sure the breather isn’t stopped up too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Went in for an oil change to local Toyota dealer. They have been “ok” to work with in the past. After 2.5 hrs the service writer came over to find me. I was pretty upset about waiting so long for an oil change. He dismissed that, because he wanted to tell me I had a rear axle seal leaking. They wanted to fix for $550. Then he said it had ruined the rear brakes. They wanted another $600 to resurface rotors and replace pads. I paid for the oil change and left.
Going to take it to another dealer for rear seal ($450) and do the brakes myself. I think I can buy rotors and pads for less than $600.
Is rear axle seal leak a common problem? Is $450 an ok price?
How hard is it to replace pads and rotors on the rear?
FYI, 2010 with 190,000 mi on it.
Thx
Jeff

[/QU

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Bigchef,
Maybe my tapatalk isn’t working right, did you have a question?

I ended up getting the rear seal replaced for $400.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bigchef,
Maybe my tapatalk isn’t working right, did you have a question?

I ended up getting the rear seal replaced for $400.

Lucky you! dealer replace the drivers side for $1200 includes new rotor, brake pads. now passenger side is leaking too. it's only 100k miles on it. I want to replace myself. any advice?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts