Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
if you did the rear calipers, rotors and pads than the axle seal is an easy DYI. Changing FJ Cruiser rear wheel bearings take a press and may require a little help. This video will show you how to remove the axle so you can get to the seal. you can skip the bearing part :)

BTW: I changed out the seal originally only to find it still leaked because the bearing was bad. Even though there was no grinding or play the bearing was just worn enough to allow oil to slip past the seal.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
No need to disassemble the parking brake though, just free up enough slack with those lines by disconnecting the brackets and pull the shaft out. Its really quite easy. Good luck.

Edit: Somewhat old thread.
Good to know you don`t have to take apart the parking brake. I`ve heard they are nothing but a pain in the ass to deal with ( no room ). I would just rather pull the axle and replace what needs to be replaced :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Its probably a good time to take apart the parking brakes. They will be soaked in axle grease.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just changed out my rear calipers, rotors and pads and discovered a rear axle leak. Anybody out there done this, is this a DYI project?
Had the seal done last week. Dealer wanted over 500 for the job. Had my guy do it. Haven't got the bill yet, but i kidded with him if I was going to get a pain in the ass charge. He had to walk away a few times trying to get the ebrake back together.

·
Premium Member
7,377 Posts
Had the seal done last week. Dealer wanted over 500 for the job. Had my guy do it. Haven't got the bill yet, but i kidded with him if I was going to get a pain in the ass charge. He had to walk away a few times trying to get the ebrake back together.
Why did he mess with the parking brakes?

·
Registered
2 Posts
If i could bother you for some advice i would greatly appreciate your time!

I have an '08 fj cruiser. I have had a nagging leak of some sort from the driver rear wheel area. I have since replaced the caliper, rotor and pads in hopes of diagnosing it as a break leak. I was not able to confirm this after i took the caliper off and replaced it. I brought the truck to my local mechanic to do the outer seals on the rear axle as he noted that the rear diff vent was clogged. After the repair i have continued to see the leak. I continue to smell burnt oil on the rotor when applying the brake heavily. Seeing that you replaced the bearing, is it possible the bearing has "walked" in the differential and is leading to a leak?

Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts