Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently replaced my rear wheel bearings on my long time daily driver. I had a rear end noise, that I thought/hoped could have been a wheel bearing, but it turned out to be the ring gear failed (lots of HP, 35's, and a 4:88 don't survive long). I've decided to go with a Dana 60, but I need to reuse my backing plates (~$550). In order to replace the bearings of the rear axle, you need access to a specialized puller and press which I have. However, the wheel bearings are destroyed when you pull them from the axle...SO, my situation is this. I need new backing plates, but I hate that I have to destroy my new, less than 10 miles old KOYO wheel bearings to accomplish this. I may be able to help out someone in the central California area that is due for new wheel bearings.

To recap, I have a left and right rear axle complete with new KOYO wheel bearings, Toyota washer, Toyota retainer (what the oil seal rides on) and I can provide new toyota oil seals. This bearing kit was bought from a great seller on Ebay that assembles OEM kits for us at $300.

2 x 9030183002
1 x 4246060010 Koyo
1 x 4245060050 Koyo
2 x 9020844001
2 x 4242360050
2 x 9052041019
2 x 9031058003

(Generic picture from Ebay purchase of bearings, please note bearings are installed on my axles.)

Here are some axle purchase/trade options (must be willing to pick up local to central California Bakersfield to Fresno)
$350 - You remove your rear axles and I will exchange with you my axles with new bearings (less than 10 miles) pressed on and ready for bolt-in installation. Basically for the cost of new bearings, you can simply bolt on new bearings.
$550 - You can purchase my complete rear axles with new bearings. I can throw in the housing and third member minus a few teeth (the ring and pinion are damaged).

Also for Sale, willing to ship at buyer's expense
$330- elocker third member. Elocker is fully functional, ring and pinion are damaged.
$100 - bare axle shaft. Left or Right price is per axle.
$200 - Rear axle housing bare.
I am also willing to cut the axle housing in two and make someone a great bearing removal tool (partial axle with flange. Weld on steel winglets for use in press.
***$140 - Icon/Donahoe racing rear lift springs. Good for about 2.5" over stock.

Time is of the essence as I will need the backing plates in the next two or three weeks. If this can't be useful for someone, I will have to wreck these bearings. Cash is prefferred, but willing to also take Paypal friends and family. Please PM me and let me know if you have any questions or want specific pictures. I'm a long time member of this forum (circa 2007-2008) so I've got some history here.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Don't need any of your parts for my '14 (not yet), but I do have a few questions, if you're willing to share answers:

1. You didn't state the year model, but assuming this is an 8" rear end and not an 8.2"?
2. What were the specific conditions at the time the teeth fractured? (steady-state load while highway cruising, axle hopping wildly during real rock-crawling, etc.)
3. Did you lose teeth from both the pinion and the ring gear?
4. Did the diff instantly lock, or were you still able to move, with unpleasant noises?
5. Since this was a 4.88 ratio, it was not a stock 3rd member. Care to mention the brand?
5. WRT cutting the housing in half, would this be to fabricate a bearing removal tool, or a bearing installation tool?

Thanks for any information you are able to provide ...

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,

1. Yes it is an 8" diff from an '07
2. The failure was discovered following an aggressive off roading excursion. I don't have one specific moment where the failure was instantly realized. One morning, about a month before the trip I had a terrible grinding noise vibration when I left the house. I parked it until I had time to trouble shoot it, but when I did come back that weekend, there was no problem to be heard. Went on the trip, had a couple of difficult obstacles. One ripped the sway bar bracket off, another rearranged my exhaust. Drove 200 miles home without excessive noise, but in the coming days the noise worsened.Thought at first it was U joint, so I replaced those with no change. It was most perceivable under load, and would decrease substantially under coasting. It quickly progressed into grinding and a very perceivable "undulation" under rotation. I have 178,000 miles on the truck all supercharged. About two years ago, I replaced the engine and made a bunch of performance upgrades. I reckon I have close to 420HP at the fly wheel based on dynos from other toyotas with the exact same improvements. I also installed new gears during this time period. They are Nitro gears that have cryogenic treatment from a reputable company. All gears setup by ZUK at Gear Installs with new koyo bearings.
3. So far I have only confirmed there are teeth missing from the ring. I'm not planning on tearing it down to do a full failure analysis, I just don't have the time. Many other supercharged FJ's have experienced the same issues with the 4.88's from Nitro and 35's. I'm not certain a different brand's gears will be any better on an 8" ring with relatively small pinion bearing and support. I'm jumping straight into the wonton. I did however get 175,000 miles from the stock gears and 33's. When I went to 35's the gearing was too far off to go without changing.
4. Diff never locked, just fractured off and kept on going. Noises were relatively subtle up until the final end. When I drained the diff fluid, I didn't even get much in the terms of solids from the fluid. There was one minuscule flake on the plug, but I didn't get any chunks out. It wasn't until I pulled the third member did I see the damage. All in all it looks like 8 teeth are missing from the ring gear.
5. Stock third member with cryo treated Nitro R&P. New Koyo carrier and pinion bearings. All setup by ZUK.
6. Yes they are the great for that.

·
A-Team Moderator
9,049 Posts

Please PM with this type of discussion. This is a For Sale ad.

Thanks

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update, adding rear springs to the listing.

***$140 - Icon/Donahoe racing rear lift springs. Good for about 2.5" lift over stock.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a little bump here. I will be pressing the old bearings off this weekend. If anyone is contemplating new wheel bearings the time is now...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts