Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is really not a really detailed post about how to completely do a rear brake job.. but it is going to show the side benefits of having 18" rims with nice opening between the spokes :)

All images are from the rear passenger side. the same was preformed on the drivers side.
located caliper.

removed the retaining bolts. These do not have a lot of threads on them as the caliper actually slides on them so just break them loose then you should be able to turn them out by hand and keep a slow steady pressure pulling on them so you know when you have the threads out.

then take the heel of your foot and press on the backside slow and firmly don't go around kicking it just ease it until it stops at this point just reach up and pull the caliper off of the rotor it will leave the old pads behind. support the caliper do not let it hang by the brake line. I just sat it on top of the axle housing.

snatch the old pad out and insert new one on the inner.. make sure you look at the pads they are marked as to which one is which.

then repeat for the outer pad

there will be a small packet of molly grease in the packet as well. apply a very thin layer on the caliper where it will come into contact with the pads and on the piston face. then replace the caliper.

yes then entire process only took about 30 mins (huge time saver not having to remove the rear wheels to be able to have access to remove the caliper and pads ) to complete the job on both sides with a beer break in the middle of it. Hope y'all enjoyed the post.

·
Registered
279 Posts
That's a first for me. I've never seen anyone do brakes with the wheels on, nice work!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah. I'll let ya in on how I figured that I could do it now..

Wife was nice and picked up the rear pads for me as a gift since I had just completed the front 2 weeks earlier. On Saturday I figured.. today is as good a day as any wife was gone for the day. Got out all the "required" tools pulled off the wheels removed the caliper.. opened the box... wtf.. these aren't the rear.. the wrong pads where boxed up.. the box for was set of rear pads but they had front pads in there.. needless to say I was not happy at all. But after seeing how small the rear caliper actually was I had to give it a shot to see if I could remove them with wheel in place. So that is the story on how I had to satisfy my curiosity and see if it could even be done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts