Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove to the Blockbuster last night. Parked in a corner spot with nobody around. Only in the store about 10 minutes. When I came out my left rear bumper corner had been "modified" (attached).

Are these easily replaceable? I assume that they will come in silver already? If they do come in color and are not very expensive I'll just replace it. Problem is I'm not very good with tools so if this is past a screwdriver I'm in trouble.

thanks for any replies

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
It's pretty simple, there's plenty of threads on here how to replace it though. Some bolts, remove the backing sensor, and pull off. The wings are held on by (I think) 8 tabs that just slide out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had the same problem, only I had a run in with a conrete post. You might want to check the forum for a good used one. A lot of guys are replacing their bumpers and can sell you one for a fraction of the new price. I got one a few months ago for $40. Easy to replace.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I actually just replaced one of my rear bumper pads a few months back, and it was fairly easy. I ended up removing the whole bumper to make it easier to get to the backside. There are just some plastic clips that hold the pads on. The pads do come in silver.

As noted above, just search for threads in regards to replacement.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all!! These "wings" are cheap and easy to take a hit. I know from past experience had this been in my Solara it would have to go to the body shop.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Definitely easier to remove the plastic bumper. I will have both silver wings in perfect shape available after this weekend. PM if interested.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Toyotommy,
From the picture, it doesn't look like the corner got dented or creased. If that is the case, you might want to think about painting it (and the other corner) black. Many folks have done this and it looks good (IMO). You'd need to remove both corners (20 minutes) and sand them down slightly to allow the paint to adhere (15 minutes), and then spray a few coats of textured flat black plastic paint on (15 minutes spread over a several hours drying time).

Food for thought.

·
Banned
338 Posts
Time to paint all those suckers black! Someone hit my bumper the other day, it left two small dings in my bumper but here Saturn was ****ed up. I let her go since when I was younger I backed into a brand new Eclipse and the driver let me go. Karma.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts