Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey FJ community, I am hoping I can get some advice. I have a 2007 with about 128k miles on her, I redid front and rear suspension with icon's stage one complete package as well as replaced the control arms. I wanted to see if anyone can point me in the direction for mounting my 1983 Honda Xl600r to the trail gate in a safe way. I have read other posts on here with different bikes and set ups but I figured I would give my information and hope someone with more knowledge can point me in the right direction. The bike weighs about 295 dry and 320 wet. (Ill additionally have the weight of my rooftop tent on the suspension not sure if that is relevant) I don't currently have a trailer hitch installed so if anyone has suggestions on which one works best for them I would appreciate it, additionally what hitch carrier do you suggest. I am hoping this is a possible thing to accomplish in a way that wouldn't sketch me out on 8 hr drives etc... Thank you for your time.
-K

· Registered
214 Posts
A motorcycle carrier is best for your size / weight bike ... can go 80+ MPH ... whereas 65 MPH max with a trailer. Plus parking ... etc is so much easier, and stores in the garage using minimal space when not in use.

Works great with some considerations ...

Bike cannot legally cover the rear License Plate or Running / Brake Lights ... so some carriers have a license plate mount and some also have small plug-in "trailer lights".

Pay attention to the total tongue weight ... Bike + Carrier ... and factor (reduce tongue rating) for the carrier extension (to centerline of Bike) ... typically 18-inches. It is highly recommended you use a full-on hitch ... meaning one that also attaches to the side frame rails. The center only mounted "Receiver" IMHO is borderline for your application given the extension.

Do not buy a cheap aluminum carrier ... go with steel ... I use a VersaHaul Carrier ... very rigid that also has a stabalizer bracket to eliminate any rocking of the carrier in the receiver.

Some carriers manufacturers rate their carriers for a specific vehicle ... so will have a max load rating that is less than the maximum carrier rating and the maximum tongue rating of the hitch. This is because they (as noted) also factor for rear-end vehicle droop not exceeding a certain level to preserve front braking.

I installed Firestone helper air bags inside the rear springs to increase the spring rate when hauling with a carrier or a trailer ... to minimize rear end droop. Nice to have anyway ... can adjust the air pressure side to side to reduce the dreaded drivers side lean issue.

· Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
10,627 Posts
There have been quite a few threads on this in the past.

It always goes same way.

People say get a trailer, then a few post their pictures / results and say its fine.

I would just say check your hitch! If its aftermarket make sure its mounted well. If OEM take that bumper cover off and make sure your rear crossmember is still in top shape. So long as you are not over the weight# limit should be perfectly acceptable.

I think the OEM hitch is 500# IIRC.
Quick look and the aftermarket ones might get you 600#, and they mount a little lower which could be nice....AND you wont have to fuss with your rear crossmember / threaded holes on a 15 YO truck.

Reactions: ASE-12

· Registered
23 Posts
I've been hauling moto's on the back of my FJ for years. No issues on any type of roads and dirt roads. I've literally driven thousands of miles with the bike on the stock tow hitch. I've never been hassled about it blocking my license plate or lights, but always expect to.

I've used the Ultimate Moto-X and even though it moves around a bit It's taken the abuse of lots of rough roads.
With my XR400

I currently use the Black Widow SMC600R and it's great.

On worn out suspension.. Can't even tell it's there when on the freeway

I've since upgraded my suspension to OME Medium/Medium 3" and can't tell the bikes back there. No pics yet.

· Registered
214 Posts
I always use a heavy locking security cable ... thru the motorcycle frame to the hitch ... so if one did not do such a great job with the tie-downs ... you won't see your bike falling off the carrier in the rear view mirror and flipping down the highway before going thru the windshield of a following car. Also good to prevent theft while at a stop.

· Registered
23 Posts
I always use a heavy locking security cable ... thru the motorcycle frame to the hitch ... so if one did not do such a great job with the tie-downs ... you won't see your bike falling off the carrier in the rear view mirror and flipping down the highway before going thru the windshield of a following car. Also good to prevent theft while at a stop.
I do this for the same reasons you stated.

· Registered
13 Posts
While I have a Kendon 3-rail motorcycle trailer for hauling multiple bikes, the convenience of not having a trailer for long drives or potential off-road routes is compelling. I have used the HAUL-MASTER 400 Lb. Receiver-Mount Aluminum Motorcycle Carrier from Harbor Freight to carry my dirt bike and track bike to various venues. It has built in anti-wobble and has been bulletproof. It is rated for the bike you mentioned so may be worth a look. It is also quite affordable at $169. I use a locking hitch pin and a locking cable to tether the bike for security purposes. Here is the stock image for consideration:

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Note that my FJ has a dual swing-out tire and gerry can carrier so I paired this Haul Master with a 14" hitch extender. This cuts the tongue weight capacity in half but still works for my setup. Here is a shot of my mini track bike mounted prior to the swing-out bumper install.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

If you are set on a trailer, I highly recommend the Kendon because it folds up and can be stored vertically out of the way. Here is a recent shot of the trailer in action en route to Colorado for some surf and turf (road and dirt) riding.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Sky Vehicle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.