Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know the cargo area dimensions of the fjc. I am trying to figure out the usable distance from the back of the front seats to the closed tail gate (that's with the rear sets folded down). I would like to get one of these to work out of, but I need 5' to 5.5' feet for it to work.

is it smaller that a wrangler unlimited, the wrangler had 4.5' from the closed tail gate to the rear of the seats.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Do the rear seats fold completely flat like originally intended ??

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
SInce i cant figure out how to insert images ill just post a link to the gallery:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=39

looks to me like the seats will do a little better than those in my 88 4runner, not quite flat, but pretty close. i would say its about 15-20 degree angle, works fine for me in the 4runner.

Lengthwise, i would probably be good, but im average height (im actually kinda short, but thats what i tell myself to feel better :D ) so you tall guys might be pretty uncomfortable in there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
bubbahotep said:
Do the rear seats fold completely flat like originally intended ??

No! I am still pissed about this. I understand why though, probably both cost and also not many people need the flat space.

I wanted them to fold flat so I could car camp, but honestly it's probably too small, flat or not. I may consider taking the rear seats out, but they I can only carry one passenger (legally). I need to see it and make some measurements.

D

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I like the setup, it may not work for camping, but I was thinking about something last night. If you have an FJ and your buddy has just about anything else and you take a group camping trip - you could set up a weather proof, wind proof, area at the campsite by backing the two vehicles together. The Jeep, or whatever with the liftback would make a decent roof and the side opening door on the FJ would make a decent wall... That might work out even better than being able to physically sleep inside.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys,
I am new to this site, although I have been following the FJ for some time now. I am also a dedicated Toyota enthusiast, having owned 3 previous.

As far as car camping, here's an idea to alleviate the shortage of space for sleeping inside the vehicle. There is an Italian company called Maggiolina who makes rooftop car tents. Before you blow this off, read some of the features: Hard fiberglass casing, weather-tight; aerodynamic shape available or with integrated roof rack; has high-strength fabric sidewalls with integrated zip-up doors and windows (with mesh); activated by cranking a coupling inside the casing; pops up in less than a minute; has a 3-inch thick foam mattress big enough for up to 4 people, comes with fitted sheets; includes an alloy ladder for climbing in and out; very good quality throughout, built to last; weighs as little as 120 lbs; secures onto standard roof rack. A neighbor has one and he says it is great.

Check it out at loftyshelters.com. You can get them in the $1500 range or used, but you can store all your bedding inside and free up additional room inside the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Not a bad thought, but that would be quite a climb. I'm 6'2" and the FJ is taller than I am. Plus, doesn't that put a lot of weight on top of your vehicle?

·
Registered
22 Posts
beaufort-fjc said:
it's hard to tell the size (depth/width) from the pic, but the not folding flat part s*cks.
As I recall, the rear seatbacks fold horizontal. But they are about an inch or so above the level of the back cargo floor. Should be easy to cut a piece of thick foam or some kind of board to make a completely flat floor. I have an idea for a foldable bed that might be long enough (hopefully 6 feet but I'd settle for 5.5) with the front seats full forward.

Wish I had thought to bring a tape measure to Ojai.

·
Registered
87 Posts
DesertFox said:
As I recall, the rear seatbacks fold horizontal. But they are about an inch or so above the level of the back cargo floor. Should be easy to cut a piece of thick foam or some kind of board to make a completely flat floor. I have an idea for a foldable bed that might be long enough (hopefully 6 feet but I'd settle for 5.5) with the front seats full forward.

Wish I had thought to bring a tape measure to Ojai.

Fox,
If we can take out the second row seat only, and lean the back forward, and with the front seats all the way forward, there may be enough room to make an extension (plywood or ?) to have a flat surface. I have done this before and it worked very well...The difference in the 2nd row seat back and the cargo floor will be an easy fix, like you suggested.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Stock is something like 74", so at best, even stock it's the same exact height. Add 7" for the rack. It's a much bigger vehicle than it looks in pictures. More interior space than the new Jeep Commander which is an enormous vehicle. Crappy legroom but big for a jeep.

The FJ's size is QUITE surprising.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i was looking at the FJC as potential land survey truck. i need flat and 5.5' for some of my equipment. The 5.5' is more important than the flat part.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts