Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

341 - 355 of 355 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
why do the photos not appear??????
Because they were deleted by the person that posted them or where they are posted from is offline. As threads age this happens.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
My previous low profile drawer I made from a desk didn't quite work for storing larger items so I was going to build the drawer designed by Dennx but changed my mind as I was just about to build it. For me a drawer system as awesome as they might be, just took up too much room for me and with back issues I needed something lighter that didn't need to be removed every time I needed to haul something.

As a do all compromise, I ended up making a multi use platform that:

• Stores recovery and misc gear under it using totes or toolboxes.
  • Could be lowered to make as much cargo space as possible.
  • A flat sleeping platform that was level with the seats including a slight slope to it because the seats aren't level.
I know, the post below isn't about a cool drawer to drool over but it was inspired by a drawer and might be an option for others. I already posted about it in another thread about sleeping platforms so see this if you really want to read a long winded story and no instructions on how to build it. :)

Pics below (the sub isn't completely installed).
I've thought about going minimal and modular with a flat plate system that modular drawer boxes would mount to. Just an idea at the moment.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I started building a two drawer rear box and realized that I wanted to put my jack in it. So I decided to simply make it a box with a divider. In order for the jack to stand upright I marked and cut a hole in the top, built another box to go over that, carpeted the entire exterior and added some footman loops for tie downs.

All the white on the box carpet is dog hair. lol

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
I started building a two drawer rear box and realized that I wanted to put my jack in it. So I decided to simply make it a box with a divider. In order for the jack to stand upright I marked and cut a hole in the top, built another box to go over that, carpeted the entire exterior and added some footman loops for tie downs.

All the white on the box carpet is dog hair. lol
The downside being that if you have anything loaded up in the back, you have to unload to access anything in your box...
May not be a problem for you if all you keep in the back is a cooler and a dog.

·
Registered
879 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
The downside being that if you have anything loaded up in the back, you have to unload to access anything in your box...
May not be a problem for you if all you keep in the back is a cooler and a dog.

Yeah, the pooch, the cooler and maybe sleeping bag or something is about all that goes on the top or in front the box. Most stuff is packed on the roof.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is hands down the best thought out all purpose overland cargo/bed solution I have seen for the FJ. I was going to settle for making cargo drawers only, but now having seen this I am going to have to re-think my plans.

Finally got this thing stained, polyurethaned and re-installed. Now just waiting on tool foam for the drawers and rubber matting for the top!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
This is hands down the best thought out all purpose overland cargo/bed solution I have seen for the FJ. I was going to settle for making cargo drawers only, but now having seen this I am going to have to re-think my plans.

Thank you! I actually posted some more pics of it since it was finished. I also modified the front seats to fold further forward giving another 8-10 inches of head room which made all the difference for my 6’2” build. I did a thread on that as well. I’ll see if I can find the posts and attach them here. The build worked well on my last trip. I lived out the back for about a week and a half of my 2-1/2 week trip. With just a 2” thick self inflating sleeping pad I was super comfortable! The only thing that was a pain, was opening the rear door ( I have done a mod that allows it to open from inside ), basically just pushing it open, and then getting out. Once I get the door pushed open with my foot, then I do my best Houdini act and get my big ass out. Lol! Other than that, it works great.

Yet Another Sleep/Storage Insert
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=90748&share_tid=33180&share_pid=9089916&url=https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9089916&share_type=t&link_source=app

Front Seat mod / Gaining more room in back for sleep deck
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=90748&share_tid=724644&share_pid=9131218&url=https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9131218&share_type=t&link_source=app

Well, I looked back over all my posts and it seems that the one with the finished product is lost. I’m not sure what happened. I’ll try to round up the finished pics and repost them in this thread as soon as possible.

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Here’s some pics of the completed sleep deck / storage box. Also contains my auxiliary battery and charge controller. Even with the ARB 50 fridge and tilt slide I have plenty of room to stretch out. And I do have the ability to remove the fridge and slide very easily. It is secured to the rear deck box with six thumb screws into T-nuts. Only takes a couple minutes to remove and allows for two people to sleep back there.

341 - 355 of 355 Posts