Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Re: Rear Cargo Drawers

After I built the box, I used it for exact measurements for the drawers instead of using the above plans. The real world dictates things don't always line up on paper.

[/url]
Wish I had read your write up before I built my box. That quote would've been worth it. Great job :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Subscribed for a future project. Great write up, and great job on the drawers!
Turnbuckles are a great way to secure the box in back and still leave room for some tie-downs.
Can't anchor it any more efficiently than that. It's perfect; the FJ should have had the exact same product in there to begin with. OK, as an option. Damn nice. :cheers:
I wonder if the OEM tie downs will bend after wheeling. I'll see if I can find some eye bolts that fit into the existing holes.

Thanks for all these compliments, you guys sure know how to make a guy blush. :lol: :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
606 Posts

The box looks great!!

I really like the latches you used on the drawers. And the diamond plate make it look like a factory option.

I'm on my second generation of storage box.
The first one I built was just too heavy, and just not the right size to hold the items I wanted to carry.

So anyone going to build a box, do no do it this way.. :)
YASB-Yet Another Storage Box

The second box I build I used a lighter material, 3/4 MDF was just way overkill. I also optimized the drawers for storage capacity. I had specific items that I wanted to put in the box, that just didn't fit in the first one.

My portable compressor was the most important item that didn't fit. It was 1/4" too tall for my first box, so I made the second generation drawers deeper by changing material and air gap at the bottom.

Just my 2 cents for anyone getting ready to tackle a project like this, lay out the items you want to store and make sure the drawers are big enough.

Not the best picture.. but this is what it looks like now..

I had paint for the box and a stain for the drawer front color matched to the FJ Cruiser Brick. Just something different than the standard black.

My second box, like the first had holes in the top for screw in tie down points. They used a hidden nut installed from the bottom so I can remove them if they are not needed. I also found out this was a place to mount my high lift jack. Its not the easiest thing to remove this way, but provided a solid mount.

Dennx, the box looks great, keep up the good work... It looks like you could start a business on the side.. :clap:

·
Banned
6,079 Posts

The box looks great!!

I really like the latches you used on the drawers. And the diamond plate make it look like a factory option.

I'm on my second generation of storage box.
The first one I built was just too heavy, and just not the right size to hold the items I wanted to carry.

So anyone going to build a box, do no do it this way.. :)
YASB-Yet Another Storage Box

The second box I build I used a lighter material, 3/4 MDF was just way overkill. I also optimized the drawers for storage capacity. I had specific items that I wanted to put in the box, that just didn't fit in the first one.

My portable compressor was the most important item that didn't fit. It was 1/4" too tall for my first box, so I made the second generation drawers deeper by changing material and air gap at the bottom.

Just my 2 cents for anyone getting ready to tackle a project like this, lay out the items you want to store and make sure the drawers are big enough.

Not the best picture.. but this is what it looks like now..

I had paint for the box and a stain for the drawer front color matched to the FJ Cruiser Brick. Just something different than the standard black.

My second box, like the first had holes in the top for screw in tie down points. They used a hidden nut installed from the bottom so I can remove them if they are not needed. I also found out this was a place to mount my high lift jack. Its not the easiest thing to remove this way, but provided a solid mount.

Dennx, the box looks great, keep up the good work... It looks like you could start a business on the side.. :clap:
X2

I like the stain you used on the wood to match the FJ.
The drawers look to be a bit deeper than the OP's. Nice:cheers:

·
Registered
2,858 Posts

Very nice. :bigthumb:
Well done.

:cheers:

·
A-Team Moderator
10,844 Posts

Fabulous! Did you fab the slider inserts for the drawer tops? I like this idea! Pull a drawer out and you have some work space or a kitchen counter if camping.

Guesstimate on weight & "total cost" involved, not including labor of course?

I NEED one of these and 1 of the drawers to lock. Originally I wanted 1 full width drawer, but now I think 2 is better with 1 of them locking. 2 will give center support to the expanse width-wise and keep the locking one locked, and eyes off of what is inside, while the other for tools, etc...

And to the front of it, I think I may add this piece to give it more storage room. Idea borrowed in part from the Rear Storage thread. :cheers:

Attachments

·
Banned
6,079 Posts

Fabulous! Did you fab the slider inserts for the drawer tops? I like this idea! Pull a drawer out and you have some work space or a kitchen counter if camping.

I NEED one of these and 1 of the drawers to lock. Originally I wanted 1 full width drawer, but now I think 2 is better with 1 of them locking. 2 will give center support to the expanse width-wise and keep the locking one locked, and eyes off of what is inside, while the other for tools, etc...

And to the front of it, I think I may add this piece to give it more storage room. Idea borrowed in part from the Rear Storage thread. :cheers:
:lol::cheers:

·
Premium Member
606 Posts

I NEED one of these and 1 of the drawers to lock. Originally I wanted 1 full width drawer, but now I think 2 is better with 1 of them locking.
One problem I see with the 1 drawer design is the weight. By the time you factor in the weight of the drawer material and then the stuff you plan to put in it you have a hard time finding drawer slides that will carry the load.

If you do buy industrial drawer slides, you still have to build the drawer strong enough to carry everything. I'm not sure how much weight I carry in mine, but I'm sure it adds up quick once you put the bottle jack, and some tools in there.

-C

·
fka trailman
849 Posts

Can't anchor it any more efficiently than that. It's perfect; the FJ should have had the exact same product in there to begin with. OK, as an option. Damn nice. :cheers:
I disagree ..... Sorta i disagree with that because Toyota would charge $1000 for something that is no way as good as this one:lol: great job. I'm going to redo mine but soon but will no way be as good as this one:cheers:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)

I didn't build the slider tray insert. In the end I wanted to keep the drawers simple and clear of any obstructions.

The weight is probably around 90lbs empty and with them loaded it's like having a passenger with me at all times ;)

Here's the breakdown on the cost of major parts.

(2) 3/4" 4'x'8' maple plywood $40 each
(2) pairs Fulterer 200lb drawer slides $70.
(2) Battalion paddle latches $35 each.
(2) 1 quart Rustoleum flat black enamel $10 each
The Killz primer I already had on hand

Have fun with the build! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
The next thing for this build is a custom aluminum pipe rail system to mount my Powertank and extinguisher to the top of the box. I'll use Fourtreks mounts to clamp the tank and extinguisher to the rail. I could also add other items to the rail if I wanted to. Depending on what I'm loading into the rear I can move the tank or extinguisher and I don't have to permanently mount the tank or extinguisher bracket to the box. I like the versatility.

The aluminum pipe and fittings I'm using are commonly used to construct hand rail systems. I'll mount the system using two square flanges bolted on each side of the box and two 90* elbows. There will be a long horizontal section of pipe to clamp things to. The pipe I'm using is 1.315" OD aluminum schedule 40 pipe. I'll rattle can it all black.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've been looking at plans for a back storage option for a couple of days now. Your idea definitely stands out to me and has inspired me to jump feet first into building my own. But I will be stealing a few ideas from your build for sure! Well done sir!

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I've been looking at plans for a back storage option for a couple of days now. Your idea definitely stands out to me and has inspired me to jump feet first into building my own. But I will be stealing a few ideas from your build for sure! Well done sir!
Ditto. This has inspired me. I'm looking at doing a similar box but without the drawers. I'm looking at doing a fold down door in the rear to hold my tool bags and recovery gear bags.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Best rear cargo drawer yet! You did a outstanding write up and material list. I deffinately will follow your design when I build mine! :rocker:

21 - 40 of 355 Posts