Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Those look great! I have been wanting to so something like this for awhile. I'm debating only make one drawer for half of the cargo area. It's easier to haul my double bass when it's flat in the back. I'm just worried about putting too much weight on one side but maybe I'm overthinking it. Lol. Anyway great job.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
That's a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
662 Posts
Epic

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts

The last item for the cargo drawers is adding airline tracks and tie downs. I want to cut each track and build a mitered frame around the edges of the top of the box. You can add a removable tie down stud along any point in the track. It's very versatile.
I'm working on a mount for these. I'm using 10 feet total. 4 tie downs just is not enough. I will post a how to thread when I am finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
917 Posts
I'd love something like this but light weight. Whose going to be the first to build something like this but more like an aircraft galley. I really don't want all that ply wood. On the other hand I still really like everything I've found while searching.

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
I'd love something like this but light weight. Whose going to be the first to build something like this but more like an aircraft galley. I really don't want all that ply wood. On the other hand I still really like everything I've found while searching.
If you want it built like an aircraft galley be prepared to pay as though it were an aircraft galley. :jawdrop:

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Great design and construction job! Thanks for the detailed post. I had a similar problem with covering my outlet. I simply relocated it.There was enough wiggle room in the wiring, so the only thing that I had to cut was plastic. I hope that this may help future builders who are inspired by your project.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Great build man, I'm gonna have to agree with everyone else, the cleaness of the boxes is what really sets this thing off:rocker:. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna still all of your ideas but real quick, how many sheets of plywood did you have to buy?
Dont forget to post some pictures of that Fourterks idea that you are talking about. The club that I been riding with want a fire extinguisher with in reach from the driver seat, but i would like a bigger one for back up, being a Firefighter and all you cant really have to much.:flame:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Great build man, I'm gonna have to agree with everyone else, the cleaness of the boxes is what really sets this thing off:rocker:. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna still all of your ideas but real quick, how many sheets of plywood did you have to buy?
Dont forget to post some pictures of that Fourterks idea that you are talking about. The club that I been riding with want a fire extinguisher with in reach from the driver seat, but i would like a bigger one for back up, being a Firefighter and all you cant really have to much.:flame:
Hey Rusty, thanks!

Here are pics of the rail mount mod. I used about 1 1/2 sheets of maple plywood.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I really like the way your drawers turned out! Something about the way that it all comes together really pleases the eye.

Can you tell us about your source for the Battalion Paddle Latches? Do they come with instructions or is there a website with a video? Seems like you just have to cut out the hole in the right place and they'll work like a son of a gun.

Could you provide a little bit more detail about the drawerboxes? How did you attach the drawerfronts? Did you just run screws through the front and then just patch and sand afterwards, before painting? I've made drawerboxes before, but the box always had a front, back and sides and the drawerfront was attached over the front of the drawerbox - but that method doesn't seem like it would work with the latches.

Thanks,
RC

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
I really like the way your drawers turned out! Something about the way that it all comes together really pleases the eye.

Can you tell us about your source for the Battalion Paddle Latches? Do they come with instructions or is there a website with a video? Seems like you just have to cut out the hole in the right place and they'll work like a son of a gun.

Could you provide a little bit more detail about the drawerboxes? How did you attach the drawerfronts? Did you just run screws through the front and then just patch and sand afterwards, before painting? I've made drawerboxes before, but the box always had a front, back and sides and the drawerfront was attached over the front of the drawerbox - but that method doesn't seem like it would work with the latches.

Thanks,
RC
Sorry for the late reply.

I have a link on the first page of this build to the latches online. No instructions. Just measure and cut a hole with the jigsaw. I used washers and lock nuts on the four allen bolts. For the latch catches I used two mending braces for the latch to catch onto when closed. I measured the depth of the latches to determine the location for the mending braces. I used two screws for each stacked pair and screwed into the underside of the top of the box. They're in my material list on the first page of this build.

The drawer fronts are glued and screwed from the front, then patched, sanded, primed and painted. Because of the paddle latches the drawer fronts have to fit flush within the box, not overlap the box (like kitchen drawers).

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,945 Posts
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
I really like the relocation of this outlet. Looks sweet there! But what did you do to fill in where the outlet used to be?

41 - 60 of 355 Posts