Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately we've had a lot of rain in my area and while I was out yesterday with a friend I attempted to cross a creek on a dirt road. I know the road well as I grew up on it, but it was a little too deep so I backed out. I could hear my exhaust under water so I know it was at least that high. Then I realized my rear diff breather was also under water. It lasted less than a minute, but now I'm worried about it. Should I be?

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
Do the Scuba mod on this web site. IF you are not sure a couple of quarts of diff lube is cheap insurance. Way cheaper than a rebuild. After every trip that i go in the water a lot i change everything. About 60$ in synthetic lube piece of mind priceless.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Pull the diff fill plug and dip your finger in there. If the fluid looks anything other than normal I would change it.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
You are probably fine.
If worried do a fluid swap. Less than $40 for 3 qts of synthetic 75w90 and two washers. Piece of mind.
Then Do Scuba Mod sooner rather than later.

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
Then I realized my rear diff breather was also under water. It lasted less than a minute, but now I'm worried about it. Should I be?
What year is your truck, how many miles? Odds are you're probably due for a diff fluid change anyway. The breather is designed to keep water out, but the scuba mod wouldn't exist if the diff breathers weren't ridiculously cheap and flimsy parts.

If your truck is 3+ years old with 30K+ miles, go ahead and do the Scuba mod then fluid swap.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
I agree. Probably fine. I'd only be concerned if you get it off of there and you can suck air into it...meaning the rubber seal or spring inside it has failed / seized. Probably is fine. Only time to be concerned is if you get stuck and it site... then it may infiltrate the axle seals.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What year is your truck, how many miles? Odds are you're probably due for a diff fluid change anyway. The breather is designed to keep water out, but the scuba mod wouldn't exist if the diff breathers weren't ridiculously cheap and flimsy parts.

If your truck is 3+ years old with 30K+ miles, go ahead and do the Scuba mod then fluid swap.
2014 with 8500 miles

·
Registered
645 Posts
Pull the diff fill plug and dip your finger in there. If the fluid looks anything other than normal I would change it.
+1

I'd be surprised if you took in any water, but the rear diff is very easy to get to and check. A drain and refill is also quick and easy.

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
2014 with 8500 miles
Then I wouldn't sweat it. Do the scuba mod and swap fluids at 30-40K as normal. They moved the transmission/transfer case breathers higher on the engine firewall in the 2010+ trucks, so when you do it I'd stick to just the rear diff and e-locker breathers (that's all I did on mine).

The stock breathers are garbage, but just a quick dunk on a new truck shouldn't be a problem. After 75-100K on the stock breather, regular dunks and no fluid swap? Then I'd be a little more worried.

·
Registered
450 Posts
2014 with 8500 miles
Well, I think you may have totaled your vehicle.

:thinkerg:I'll tell you what, I'll do you a big favor and give you $500.00 for it and you're getting the best of the bargain. I'm happy to help a brother out, I'm just that kind of guy....

Honestly, I don't think you have a thing to worry about :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
You are probably fine.
If worried do a fluid swap. Less than $40 for 3 qts of synthetic 75w90 and two washers. Piece of mind.
Then Do Scuba Mod sooner rather than later.
Any special oil?
I have 5 gallons of synthetic 75/90 Mobil 1
Had mine in the water over the axle a couple weeks about for a couple hundred yards.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Any special oil?
I have 5 gallons of synthetic 75/90 Mobil 1
Had mine in the water over the axle a couple weeks about for a couple hundred yards.
That will do. Mobil 1 is good stuff.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Well, I think you may have totaled your vehicle.

:thinkerg:I'll tell you what, I'll do you a big favor and give you $500.00 for it and you're getting the best of the bargain. I'm happy to help a brother out, I'm just that kind of guy....

Honestly, I don't think you have a thing to worry about :bigthumb:

I'm that kind of guy, but willing to go the extra step. I'll pay you that same $500 in Canadian.:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
The rear scuba mod takes like 10 minutes. very simple.

This will help:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Just make sure on that rear diff breather that you don't cross thread it. Sit it flat, while holding it level with the hole, turn it COUNTER clockwise until the threads seat, then hand turn it clockwise, then tighten. It will still be tight because of the thread tape, but this will give you better chances at not cross threading.

·
Registered
898 Posts
This is a good thread! Any opinions about ARB breather kit compared to SCUBA? I have an 11TT, so only rears need to be installed? Without a snorkel, does anyone know what maximum fording depth is? I've been thinking of having this done and usual torrential spring rains and storms are due any time. I have stock 16" TRD wheels and Goodrich KO tires.

Thanks for any info!

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
This is a good thread! Any opinions about ARB breather kit compared to SCUBA? I have an 11TT, so only rears need to be installed? Without a snorkel, does anyone know what maximum fording depth is? I've been thinking of having this done and usual torrential spring rains and storms are due any time. I have stock 16" TRD wheels and Goodrich KO tires.

Thanks for any info!
I used the ARB kit, but made some changes to optimize it for the FJ. This post shows how I did it, and the extra parts I purchased...
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/member-build-ups/362386-briareoss-build-2-a-5.html#post5683129

1 - 20 of 20 Posts