Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did this hack for the second time last weekend and had to look back in previous posts to see how this hack was done (the last posts were about six months ago) I found the posts but had a real hard time figuring it out because of all the technical mumbo jumbo going on at the time. I thought I'd re-write this simple procedure for others to see.

This hack lets you engage the rear diff lok at anytime, 2 hi, 4 hi or 4 lo, at any speed the vehicle is going. As an added benefit, when you engage the diff lok you disable traction control, VSC, and ABS brakes (well, disabling the ABS is of no benefit but no loss either cause you should be off road in mud or sand or something)

Here's how it's done.

Remove the foot rest and kick-panel on drivers side. Locate blue box (diff lok control module) Remove single bolt holding it in place and unplug harness. Fish harness around other harnesses so you have some wire to work with. Locate the white wire with a blue stripe(don't get confused, there is also a blue wire with a white stripe, don't touch this one) Cut the white wire with a blue stripe leaving enough wire to re-connect later should you want to. Tape up the end that goes into the harness. Add a small length of wire to the plug side with an eye at the end. This will go under module attaching bolt on re-assembly. Locate purple wire with a red stripe. Cut and tape both ends, this is the speed control wire. Re-assemble with white with a blue stripe wire grounded out under mounting bolt. That's it. To use, just press the rear diff lok button and have fun. It's pretty cool seeing two rooster tails behind you as you floor it through a muddy field in two wheel hi (with the farmers permission of course). Donuts are a blast too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Just to clarify a little when he says "at any speed the vehicle is going" this does not mean you can turn it on at any speed(that would be bad) but rather you can go as fast as you want with it engaged. You must be going <5mph to turn it on I prefer to stop. :)

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
No, I mean if you are going 100 mph and hit the button, you lock the rear differential.
thats bad, real bad, don't do it!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I did this hack for the second time last weekend and had to look back in previous posts to see how this hack was done (the last posts were about six months ago) I found the posts but had a real hard time figuring it out because of all the technical mumbo jumbo going on at the time. I thought I'd re-write this simple procedure for others to see.

This hack lets you engage the rear diff lok at anytime, 2 hi, 4 hi or 4 lo, at any speed the vehicle is going. As an added benefit, when you engage the diff lok you disable traction control, VSC, and ABS brakes (well, disabling the ABS is of no benefit but no loss either cause you should be off road in mud or sand or something)
Well actually there is a benifit to disabling ABS especially in Sand or Loose Dirts because it allows you to build up a mound of soil to stop the vehicle faster

:rocket: :mofo:

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
My mustang has a spool in the rear end and does 120 mph in the quarter. It works just fine thank you.
:( Doing 100-120 mph is not the issue. Engaging the locker at 100 mph is the bad thing. :thinkerg:
Ya what he said. It isn't going that fast with a locker that is the issue but rather turning it on while going at speed, really anything over 5 would be bad I don't even like to do it at 5.

I have done this hack, and use it a lot.I have used it 200 mile in 2 days in Baja running the 500 course with top speeds around 70 in the dirt so it isn't the speed that is the problem but when you turn it on.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I was wondering is there any way to have a hack like this, but have it where it is on a separate switch and it resets every-time the you turn off the key.

My wife drives this FJC most everyday and I would not want her to accidently turn it on, or have me somehow leave it on.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
I was wondering is there any way to have a hack like this, but have it where it is on a separate switch and it resets every-time the you turn off the key.

My wife drives this FJC most everyday and I would not want her to accidently turn it on, or have me somehow leave it on.
Good idea...
I had my FJ washed and the guy who did it hit the button on accident turning the locker on, he drove it this way back to my parking spot. It was only about 50' so it wasn't to bad. But it is definitely something you need to keep your eye on if some one drives your FJ.

I am sure you could run it thru a switch I would have to look at it closer though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i read up on this mod a lot a couple months ago and dont recall anything about the purple wire with red stripe being cut. Is this a new find that does something good?

·
Registered
302 Posts
:( Doing 100-120 mph is not the issue. Engaging the locker at 100 mph is the bad thing. :thinkerg:
according to the manual, the locker will automatically disengage after 30mph. don't know how true this is, but it seems like the hack is to bypass this feature - not specifically for which speed it engages.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i read up on this mod a lot a couple months ago and dont recall anything about the purple wire with red stripe being cut. Is this a new find that does something good?
Cutting the purple wire with the red stripe disables the speed control circuit. All it does is to stop you from engaging the rear diff lok at anything over 5-10mph. I wanted to engage my at higher speeds than that so I cut the wire. I'm not sure what you guys expect to happen if you engage it at speed. I've done at 60 mph and you don't even know it's engaged. You can't corner hard enough at that speed for it to affect handling. Try it, you'll see what I mean.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Ya I don't recommend that I still don't' see why you would want to turn it on when your going 60.

For those looking at doing this I would encourage you to just cut the white and blue wire.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't see any reason to turn it on at 60 mph either but the point is that you can and there is no problem. You seriously cannot tell that it is on or off at that speed. There are times, however, say at 20 mph where you want to have a bit of fun and you can just press the button and go. Beats coming to a complete stop before you can engage it.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Excellent restatement of the hack. Much simpler and clearer. Think I'll do it now. Many thanks!!!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Perfect & simple! I done & it works perfectly! Its nice being able to have that kind of control of your locker depending on your offroad driving needs!

1 - 20 of 191 Posts