Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needed or not? I've heard from both sides. Some who say they are unnecessary, and others who wouldn't wheel without them.

I've been looking at the All-Phase rear diff skids but they currently aren't selling them and looking for a new manufacture after the scenario that took place a couple of months ago.

Does anyone else make a skid like this that provides protection under the diff? Or does it even matter, can they take the hits and keep on ticking?

Mind you I do try to miss, but sometimes its almost unavoidable to make it thru a few sections of trail I've been on lately.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Well the only other company that makes the skid for under the diff would be Bud Built, but I don't think they are in production of it yet.:D

·
Registered
831 Posts
ive never had a diff skid on any of my off roading rigs and ive had 4 of them. The diffs can take a beating, its not like 3-5 hits is going to smash it open. I do believe there like 2 inches this but i could be wrong with the fj because i havent checked. But there definaatly thicker than 1/4 skid. I say unless youre doing serious rocks not needed.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
with the drain plug directly on the bottom of our diff it is in a pretty vunerable spot, there is a small mettal protection ring around it but i've already got a kink in mine. I just picked up an all phase off a guy today for 100 bucks. Bud has em and AllPro has a weld on plate but I think it only covers the rear side of the diff. I may be wrong. If you have a local fap shop or a good fabber buddy just weld a couple u bolts to some steel.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the input.

I've been watching the for sale boards but my timing always seems to be off to buy the All-Phase one. And yes, the All-pro one doens't protect the underside as well.

Perhaps I'll call budbuilt and see what they can tell me about the one they have in the works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts