Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I need to change my rear diff fluid and was hoping to get some suggestions on the best type. I plan on doing it myself so any pointers is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
I use Amsoil think it's 75W-90 severe gear in mine. Just go to their website and put in your vehicle info in and they will tell you what you need and how much. They have the cool squeeze packs which makes it easier.

As far as how, it's easy. Remove the fill plug first, then the drain. Clean the magnet on the drain plug and reinstall with new gasket. The differentials are "fill to spill". Which means just keep putting in oil until it spills out the fill Port. Assuming your on level ground. Wait until it quits coming out and install the fill plug. I think the torque for the plugs are around 35 ftlbs.

As far as schedule, I do mine every 50k miles. More often if you tow a lot.

Don't forget to do your transfer case and front differential as well. All the same principle. The front differential takes a hex socket, forget the size.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,270 Posts
Use a good quality 75-90 gear oil. Some bottle come with pull up nozzles for filling or buy a siphon pump or I use a big syringe, a little slow but no mess, the pumps always leak and make a mess. Make sure you undo the fill plug first. (If you can’t get it off then you haven’t just dumped out all the oil and you can drive somewhere, plus it drains better this way as air can replace the oil. You’ll need a 24mm socket for the plugs

·
Registered
157 Posts
Agree with above and I would do all three at the same time so you know when they were done
20191217_064307.jpg
. I used Amsoil severe gear 75-90 as well. Have to order from their website or find a dealer that caries it. Had to call 4 or 5 places, but the dealer was actually $3 or $4 cheaper per qt.
Used a cheap transfer pump from Autozone similar to this for the front diff. Worked great. Good luck.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Here is a really cool thread about recommended fluids torque specs, required tools all in one.. I use Amsoil Severe Gear 75-90 myself. Works great.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I agree with magnetic plugs. Also it is a good practice to remove the fill plug first. That way if it strips or rounds off, you can still drive the vehicle while you figure out how to remove it. If you drain it first and then strip the fill plug you're kinda hosed.

Same thing when working on brake calipers. Loosen the bleeder first. If it can't be moved then you will have wasted a lot of time and $ doing whatever work on it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I agree with magnetic plugs. Also it is a good practice to remove the fill plug first. That way if it strips or rounds off, you can still drive the vehicle while you figure out how to remove it. If you drain it first and then strip the fill plug you're kinda hosed.

Same thing when working on brake calipers. Loosen the bleeder first. If it can't be moved then you will have wasted a lot of time and $ doing whatever work on it.
Yeah, the stock OEM magnets are a little on the wimpy side and probably don't work as well at high temps. And the OEM plugs are easy to strip or round off too easily even if you are being careful.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I also went to home depot and bought a little power drill pump and hose. It's very similar to this:

View attachment 1118633
This pump has garden hose size connectors. You will have to get a brass adapter to downsize to a 1/4 inch or 1/5 inch hose (I forget what size I got and not home right now to check it out). Home depot had all the stuff to do this. My cordless drill on high speed will empty a quart of diff fluid in about 45 seconds and works great. (y)

·
Registered
327 Posts
I used Mobil Delvac 75-90 full synthetic gear oil 10,000 miles ago, everything is fine. Be sure to get the crush washers you need for the drain and fill plugs. And yeah, break loose the fill plug first. It's a straightforward job, nothing to stress about.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I used Amsoil 75W90 for my front & rear diffs, and the transfer case too when I changed it at 50k miles. No problems since. I'm about to change it all again but am going to go with Redline since they have products that are suitable replacements for the gear oil specified in the owner's manual.

Redline 75W85 GL-5 gear oil (for Toyota/Lexus 08885-02506)
Redline MT-LV 70W/75W GL-4 gear oil (for Toyota/Lexus transfer case fluid "Genuine Gear Oil LF 75W“ 08885-81080 )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts