Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Rear Differential light on, stays on - now other indicator lights on too...

16K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Stephenk189 
#1 ·
- '07 4x4 with AT
- 39,795 miles

'evening,

Earlier tonight, while driving approx 20-25 mph in 2WD the rear differential indicator light (red) came on suddenly and stayed on...steady, ie: not flashing.

Hadn't used rr diff lock in a few days - drove some 500 miles in 2WD since last used.

Stopped, verified everything to be fully disengaged; checked manual - found nothing about this light coming on and staying on (other than when using the diff-lock); searched the forum and found nothing.

Continued on my way. Shortly after (less than a 1/4 mile) the 'ABS'; 'SLIP' and 'VSC OFF' indicators all came on and stayed on. (steady)

Stopped, put tfr case in 4L; engaged rear diff and A-Trac -- both work as they should.

Put tfr case back in 2WD; switched A-Trac off; moved forward slowly; heard rr diff disengage; rr diff light is steady AND flashing (flashing as it should); switched rr diff off; light stopped flashing (as it should) but remained on.

At this time, the 3 "other" indicator lights go out and stay out, for approx 1-2 minutes (while sitting) and then come back on again.

Any ideas? Sure am hoping its a simple electrical issue and not something more serious.

Any help will be greatly appreciated - as it always is.

Many thanx,

JD

See less See more
#2 ·
PS: when I kill the engine and remove the key, ALL lights go out.

:-0

But you already knew that...

What I mean to say is that when the engine is re-started, all 4 lights mentioned above come on and stay on. They do not flash on start-up, they just come on and stay on...

#3 ·
Check for any loose wires? ABS?

#4 ·
Thank you for your reply.

Had it up on the hoist at my local shop, wires and connections appear to be good. Fuses too.

This morning, in addition to the 3 amber lights mentioned above, the "VSC" light is also on.

Then, while driving, all the amber lights went out - followed by the red rr diff light...but only till I parked and shut the engine off.

When restarted, it was back to what I had: 4 amber and the red diff lights all on.

Unless someone can suggest a quick n easy fix, its headed for Toyota this afternoon to get hooked up to the scanner.

Thanx again.

JD

#5 ·
take her to the dealer and see what they say then post it up.

mine did very similar, but right after being in 4 low with diff locked. got on the road and shifted out of 4low to high, had all the lights and the diff stayed locked. i ran it up the road a bit and it it all popd off. lights out and the rear unlocked, it hasn't done it since then but i still think about it. i'm going out this weekend i hope it doesn't F up again.

scotty

#7 ·
If you have an aftermarket gas cap... In some cases, a non Toyota gas cap has caused similar light issues, thought not exactly like the sequence you are describing. If you do 'reboot' the computer by disconnecting battery for 10 minutes, and are using a non-standard gasoline cap, use the original cap instead, just in case that is contributing to the problem. You never know, and it doesn't cost anything to try.

Otherwise, it does sound like a dealer thing so they can run all the diagnostics and figure it out.

#8 ·
Went to the dealer this afternoon, turned out to be the "Master Cylinder Solenoid" -- black box mounted on the outside of the master cylinder.

Nothing that $1800 bux (+ 13% tax) won't fix.

Have a good weekend. And thanx to all for your valued feeback. I appreciate it.

JD

#10 ·
Thanx, Ron.

Yes, it will be covered under warranty - but the part had to be ordered so it'll be about a week.

They're also going to change an idler pulley for me at the same time, bearings must be bad - started whining a few weeks back.

This visit to the dealership has again reminded me of the value of having a new vehicle, with complete warranty coverage in effect.

When all tolled, the seemingly simple task of makin the lites go out will be a $2600-2700 hit.

That'd ruin a lotta people, even during the good times that were.

Thanx again everyone for your comments.

#13 ·
Codes wont show.
It's an electronic issue.
The effect is the same as the nannies off hack in my sig, except it isn't quite that.
Is the rear diff light on as well? if that's it, it won't be a solenoid issue - it could be damaged wiring or it could be a bad earth under the dash. Or - (hopefully not) rodents in your wiring.
Most likely culprit if the RR Diff light is flashing is on that circuit. it won't be locked if the light is flashing and it isn't in 4Lo.

#16 ·
I'd suggest having a look at your wiring - mice love the soy based insulation.
Keep your fire extinguisher nearby...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.