Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
way back in the day toyota repaired my rear diff at around 60k and it got louder over time. Sounds like a low pitch super charger now at 180k. I did all my services and what not.

took to dealer and they said to replace the rear diff at around $3K FJ is worth maybe 6K with 180K in my neck of woods.
I have had since new and it's a 2007.

My options are
keep it as is and cross fingers
sell it and get new "10 year" vehicle
pay the 3k and hope nothing else goes wrong

I hear the rear diff noise and clunk are "Normal" and I checked the temp of it after driving an hour (50-70's)

What says the fj forum?

·
Premium Member
11,064 Posts
G'day,
^^^ x4,
the clunk, is probably the drive shaft...dry as a bone... feels like you are getting rear ended
grease up the driveshaft - 6 zerks on a 4wd model.... and the clunk will disappear

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Noises and clunks are not normal, I would just replace what is bad, which is most likely just bearings at this point, maybe the R&P, but even if you replace the R&P and all the bearings, you are only looking at $1200, add a carrier and the larger 8.2 R&P and it's an additional $600, but the question still remains, what is really the issue? GL

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$6k is what the Toyota dealer told me my trade in would be a few months ago. My fj minus the noise is in really good shape too and I thought it would be worth more.

Shaft is always lubed at the zerks during oil change too.

If it's a bearing how hard to change?

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
Noises and clunks are not normal, I would just replace what is bad, which is most likely just bearings at this point, maybe the R&P, but even if you replace the R&P and all the bearings, you are only looking at $1200, add a carrier and the larger 8.2 R&P and it's an additional $600, but the question still remains, what is really the issue? GL
You cannot just swap the 8.2" into the 07 8" diff housing. The housing is to small for the 8.2 3rd member. Ask @debFJVT about her upgrade to the 8.2"...

$6k is what the Toyota dealer told me my trade in would be a few months ago. My fj minus the noise is in really good shape too and I thought it would be worth more.
Your dealer is screwing you then...

·
Registered
108 Posts
way back in the day toyota repaired my rear diff at around 60k and it got louder over time. Sounds like a low pitch super charger now at 180k. I did all my services and what not.

took to dealer and they said to replace the rear diff at around $3K FJ is worth maybe 6K with 180K in my neck of woods.
I have had since new and it's a 2007.

My options are
keep it as is and cross fingers
sell it and get new "10 year" vehicle
pay the 3k and hope nothing else goes wrong

I hear the rear diff noise and clunk are "Normal" and I checked the temp of it after driving an hour (50-70's)

What says the fj forum?
If you live around east TN I am selling a brand new 07-09 Toyota FJ rear diff with elocker/atrac and brand new carrier for $800. It has less than 500 miles on it so no need for break in process and was babied for those miles as well. Good luck either way

Reactions: bazross and debFJVT

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
To help determine exactly what is going on, and what the best course of action is, some additional information would be very helpful:

1. What was the original problem that required Toyota to "repair" the differential at 60K miles?
2. What exactly did the repair consist of? Replace the entire rear axle assembly? Replace the entire 3rd member? Replace carrier bearings only? Re-set pinion preload? Or something else?
3. How long after Toyota "repaired" the diff did you FIRST notice any new noise developing (rumbling, whining, etc.)?
4. How frequently have you been changing the diff lube?
5. If/when you changed the diff lube, what did it look like? Clear? Black? Black with metallic sparkles (like metal-flake paint)?
6. What type of debris was on the drain plug magnet? Just very fine black powder? Any larger flakes or chunks?

If you love your FJ, and have maintained it well, and want to keep it to 300K miles, the best course of action would probably be to replace the entire rear axle with one from a 2010 or later model, with the more robust 8.2" ring and pinion.

If you want to do the "minimal" fix, purchase a completely-assembled 3rd member and R&R the dying one. Make sure that you very carefully and thoroughly clean out the rear axle housing to remove ALL possible wear debris from the failing gearset.

That's why you really want to repair this as quickly as possible. Continuing to drive with a failing differential will just generate more metal debris circulating within the rear axle housing, and make it that much more difficult to clean out.

Unless your FJ is a total POS appearance-wise, the $6K "offered" by your dealer is an insult. Check eBay Motors sales history, KBB, etc. to see what the actual value of comparable FJs are in your area. I guarantee it is far more than $6K.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My '07 rear differential just failed at 105K. It had a high pitched whine between 60-70 mph that gradually got louder and louder. I ignored it and the pinion gear eventually exploded. Inspecting the pieces looks like there were cracks in it for some time. I ordered a new (reman) 3rd member from ECGS and did the swap myself. While I wouldn't call it "easy" it was certainly something most decent home mechanics could handle.

Worst case, I'd order the replacement from ECGS and have a regular repair shop do the swap. Forget your stealership.

I wish I wouldn't have waited for it to fail, the downtime while you're waiting for parts never seems to happen at a convenient time. Not to mention where you'll be when it does finally go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts