Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im relocating my ham antenna mount from the back window to the rear door hinge. Over the past years there have been several postings related to the hinge mount. Does anyone know if they are still being made? After a few years of use, any issues?

Also looking forward to getting rid of the stupid plastic hinge cover. Whats up with that thing anyway?

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
The 'Bandi-type' antenna mount is convenient, but there are some issues:

1. The 'original' mount is fabricated from carbon steel, and is subject to rust. When rust starts to form between the mount and the door hinge, the mount grounding can be lost. Some of these style mounts (BozTec) are fabricated from stainless steel, and do not have the corrosion problem. I have one of the Bandi mounts, and wish I would have purchased a stainless mount instead.

2.The rear door does not have any real low-impedance RF ground connection to the vehicle frame. Ideally, you should bolt some copper strap or heavy tinned braid between the two halves of the hinge to ensure a good RF ground.

3. The hinge mount is located some distance below the top of the roof, effectively shadowing a good portion of the antenna's length if you use a short 4' hamstick or something similar. For a good radiation pattern, ideally the antenna should be mounted in the center of the top of the roof, with a symmetrical ground plane surrounding it. If you use a long whip antenna, its not so much of an issue.

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the refresh!

I’m planning on using a top loaded antenna, so minimal issues with being tucked behind the truck.

Now to find a top-loaded 2M / 40 cm antenna.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have Gzilla's mount other than developing a slight purple tint it's great

1 - 6 of 6 Posts