Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we are getting ready to do some off-roading and some filming at the same time, and I am not finding it easy to remove the back door. I have popped the little panels in the back but still can't find a quick disconnet for the wires running fromt he truck into the rear door, has anyone ever got theirs off and how did you do it. I would like to install a disconnect that would allow me to remove the door when needed. I have already created a wedding paneled back to strap in when the door is off, I just can't get the door off, lol

Could use a little help!!!!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Well, if the manufacturer decided not to do the connector directly on either side of the door, then you will have to pull the connectors off of each electrical item (rear wiper, washer, lights) in the rear door and pull the whole harness out through the hole. Sometimes you have to stuff one connector through at a time...just depends how big the hole is. :) It's not as easy for you but it's cheaper for Toyota...one less connector and the time to install it. But, you can make your own connector if you really need it to quick disconnect.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Have a good electronics tech fab you a mil-spec waterproof disconnect. Someone at a guard base could hook you up with a tech that could do it.. Ron

So we are getting ready to do some off-roading and some filming at the same time, and I am not finding it easy to remove the back door. I have popped the little panels in the back but still can't find a quick disconnet for the wires running fromt he truck into the rear door, has anyone ever got theirs off and how did you do it. I would like to install a disconnect that would allow me to remove the door when needed. I have already created a wedding paneled back to strap in when the door is off, I just can't get the door off, lol

Could use a little help!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
The rear door has one big harness going in it and then distributed to different sections of the door (Wiper,Lock,License lamp). Your best bet and best spot to do a quick connect would be where the harness exits the left rear quarter panel. You should have easy access from the Jack access point. Remove that panel and have a look or wait till I get my FJ back and I can check for you, since right now my FJ is 100% stripped inside.

·
The Laughing Member
2007 FJ Cruiser, 2021 4Runner, 2002 Lexus SC420
9,119 Posts
Do you really need the entire rear door off for your shooting?? It seems like it would be a lot easier to either prop open the rear pop-out window or simply remove it (along with removing the spare tire).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah, please elaborate... why would you want to do that anyway? I might be able to help with the wiring disconnecting and whatnot, but Im just curious why you would want to do it??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts