Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear door strut just started locking by itself everytime I open the rear door. I've taken compressed air and tried to blow out any dirt or debris that could be in there while moving it back and forth but it still locks. Any suggestions on if it could be cleaned or if it has to be replaced when it has a problem? Maybe I should just be happy that I have a new improved auto locking feature but when you are carrying stuff and can't reach down to unlock it that means another trip back out to the FJ to close the door.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Is your yellow lock clip misaligned? It may not be the strut itself....

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Ours started a couple of years ago and I tried cleaning it to no avail.
So we just kick the yellow area with our foot when we close the door.
I'm too cheap to buy a new one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took the clip off the end thats attached to the door, unhooked the strut. No pressure, pushed it in and had to pull pretty hard to get it extended again so I could hook it up. Looks like I have to replace it. Will post once I've recieved the replacement with basics on difficulty level which shouldnt be much trouble.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
If you are saying you had to pull hard on the strut to extend it that sounds pretty much normal, it is a damper to prevent the door from swinging open uncontrolled. Are you sure the locking is not caused From the plastic yellow lock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hard to pull by hand but didnt affect the door opening anymore. Couldnt find any way to adjust the lock mechanism. I replaced the strut, took all of three minutes. Works perfectly.

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
Ours started a couple of years ago and I tried cleaning it to no avail.
So we just kick the yellow area with our foot when we close the door.
I'm too cheap to buy a new one.
same here haha. it's not bad until someone else tried to close the door and you have to explain to them how to do it.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Mine has been doing that for about a year now.. Keep meaning to take a look at it but just keep finding other things to fix first...

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
I had the same problem, so I removed the Yellow locking pastic part to analyze the breakdown of its functionality.

The two tabs inside are worn out and can no longer hold the damper cylinder.

I wrapped the damper cylinder with EdgeLock tape to increase the diameter.
It is working so far, so I will paint that area will several coats as the final fix.

Locked:

Unlocked:

·
Registered
923 Posts
I wonder if you can buy just the yellow locking part, instead of the whole strut?

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
I wonder if you can buy just the yellow locking part, instead of the whole strut?
I don't think so.
The yellow lockng part is glued to the damper cylinder top cover and good wacking is needed to disengage it.

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
It is working so far, will see how long the paint will last.

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I wonder if anyone has an idea where I might find the two clips that secure the strut to its mounts. My dealer says I have to buy the strut 68907-35081. $148.63 OUCH!!! Not gonna do that if I can find the clips.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts