Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i went to unlock my rear door the other day to get something out of the back and the rear lock has evidently bit the bullet in the locked position. has this happened to anyone else out there and whats my options for getting to the lock to fix it?? i would appear at the moment that i will have to try and remove the plastic cover on the back door from inside somehow since the lock is in the locked position so the rear door handle does nothing.

When i try to unlock the door nothing happens i hear no lock cycling in the rear.
have tried with multiple remotes and multiple keys. other doors unlock lock fine.
rear glass will open with the key still.
there is nothing in the opening that would have it jammed.
the front door locks have both been dissembled and cleaned after they quit working within the last two years due to the carbon build up.
its a 2008 fj

EDIT:
Solution Found:
this is what i ended up doing to fix it. took the black plastic panel off from the inside and locked and unlocked the door while tapping lightly on the lock motor and it randomly started working. guess it got stuck. we shall see how long it last.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
I had mine quit working on my '07. The lock wouldn't do anything and after a few tries then it would work. I had the Tuffy drawer in mine so it covered most of the back door when shut. I looked and I'm not sure if it pops out or not, but there is a piece in the door panel that might pop out for access. I was heading in to get the FJ serviced and it was acting up again so I had my mechanic check it out and he cleaned it up and lubed it a bit and told me to work it several times to loosen it up. It had been filled with dust from all of the dirt roads I drive. I messed with it a bit, but it still stuck a few times and shortly after that I traded it in on my Tundra so I don't know if it ever freed up and worked okay or not. If I remember right there is a little square about 1 1/2" x1 1/2" on the door panel too that might allow access for a coat hanger or something. Not sure how that lock and everything works.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Solution Found:
this is what i ended up doing to fix it. took the black plastic panel off from the inside and locked and unlocked the door while tapping lightly on the lock motor and it randomly started working. guess it got stuck. we shall see how long it last.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had this issue with my 07. I pulled the rear door latch when it was still locked and it didn't return to its home position. Tried the fob several times and didn't hear the rear door unlock. I pushed the latch back to its home position and then the fob worked. On mine it only appears to occur when I try and open the rear door when it is still locked. When unlocked it always returns to the home position.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The lock mechanism on the rear door on my FJ has stopped working.
Does anyone know how to remove the rear panel when the door is in its locked position?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hi, Billbeat, welcome!

Some members have posted about this problem before, but I don't think anyone has posted details of how they got the panel off. You may have to start with the 'door open' removal guide and improvise.
When you have it apart and if you are feeling ambitious, here is a member's mod for adding a manual release. This is on my list to do at some point and would certainly be helpful if this happened again.

Best of luck getting it sorted out and hopefully someone who has been through this will chime in.

The lock mechanism on the rear door on my FJ has stopped working.
Does anyone know how to remove the rear panel when the door is in its locked position?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Last week I was on a 9-day trip around hte four corners region and my rear door lock started acting up. The outside door pull seems "soft" and would sometimes work, sometimes not. I found that if I lift up on the door with one hand while working the door latch with the other I can pop the door open. Then there have been times recently that the latch would lock with the door open, and then I couldn't close the door. This happened several times. I had to take the black cover off the rear door and then move around the metal rods inside to get the lock to unlock. It feels like there is a whole network of thin metal rods that attach from the door latch to the key hole for the lock to the actual latch itself, then there are a few electrical components (a motor or solenoid) that are all connected. I could feel some of the metal rods moving around when I used the key or the key fob but the latch would never open or close.

After feeling around and playing with it for a while I've found that there is a metal rod that goes up above the door latch that has a plastic connector on the end of it that connects to another metal piece that directly opens and closes the door latch. I believe that plastic piece has worn out and doesn't hold the two pieces in the proper position anymore. I can pull on the rod and the latch does not operate, but then I press down on the piece of metal that the latch is connected to the latch will open and close.

I believe mine is two different problems. I think that piece of plastic not holding the two metal pieces tight is one problem. This prevents the door from unlocking when it is locked. The second problem is with the soft feeling handle and needing to lift the door slightly when opening it. I noticed my CB antenna mount on the rear door hinge is loose and I'm thinking maybe the rear door hinges are loose and the door has come out of alignment slightly.

This is difficult to describe. Hopefully I can get some pictures up in a day or two since I want to get this fixed ASAP. The only problem is we are supposed to have daily afternoon thunderstorms all this week.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the same problems and had no idea how to get that black plastic cover off the back door with the door closed. I finally took it to the local FJ Guru and all he did was take the two screws out wedge the plastic away from the door at the top enough to get his fingers inside the crack and then just ripped it off with one pull. That sucker came off slick as can be. I was so happy, I gave him $100 for about a 1/4 hr of his time. Those 9? buttons just pop out and pop back in with a little effort.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts