Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched to no avail. 07 FJ with the Revtek lift, 33x12.50x17 tires. When travelling at highway speeds and I come across a bump or rut in the road the rear end almost becomes violently unstable and steps out to either side. Haqs anyone else had this issue? If so what did you find to be the cause?

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Sounds like you have a serious problem. What air psi are you running in the tires? I'm thinking there is something loose in the suspension.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
PSI doew not sound out of line. Trying to check for loose components without putting it up on a rack might be really hard. My feeble thoughts are that it is a loose part that shifts when the suspension unloaded after the bump. Is this only happening at higher speeds or all the time?

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
I'd go over all the parts one by one. If possible try to move the suspension up and down while on the lift.

·
Registered
728 Posts
You know what you have to do but my guess and it is only a guess is that you need to look at your sway bar. Since your problem is accentuated by compression I would focus there. Sometimes with suspension parts you actually get a better "feel" for them if you jack the vehicle up enough to get a "sag" out without being in full extension. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
As stated above you need to do a component by component examination. I do have a few questions; When did this problem start? Was it immediately following the installation or did it show up after some time passed? Were all the parts installed, check the parts list against the installed parts. Check to see that the springs are properly installed or “seated”. Also look for places where the tires and or suspension are making contact with the body or frame. Look for rubbing and or dents. When you torque the suspension bolts was the vehicle on the ground or on jack stands. Torque should only be applied after the vehicle is on the ground and preferably after you moved the vehicle back and forth to settle the suspension. Although I don’t believe this last statement is your problem it is important. Keep in mind that several components may have been installed incorrectly so check everything including the shocks, sway bar, upper and lower links etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like the rear sway bar is bent just enough for it to be the problem, everything else checks out. The swaybar however is touching the diff, and the link is tweaked pretty good on the driver side. Gonna order a bar and see how that affects it.

Drove fine until a few days ago, the only thing i can think is that my girl may have done something while she drove it..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts