Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got rear ended today by a 1970s jeep wagoneer with a huge lift and a giant steel winch bumper on the front end. We were in about 3 ft of snow and the chick driving the jeep knocked it into gear and realized she was getting close and freaked out, she says she stomped on the "brake" with both feet but she hit the gas and the brake, the gas won and she hit my spare tire hard. It bent my back door and took a chunk out of the spare wheel, it also bent the metal above the bumper a little bit. I havent had a chance to take it to the body shop yet to get an estimate but im just curious if anyone else has had to replace the back door ? It doesnt seem like thats going to be cheap and that metal above the bumper, is that structural or something they can cut out and replace ? Ill try to put up pics later

Oh by the way the TreadWright Guard Dogs do great in the snow, had them aired down to 10psi and didnt really have any problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got rear ended today by a 1970s jeep wagoneer with a huge lift and a giant steel winch bumper on the front end. We were in about 3 ft of snow and the chick driving the jeep knocked it into gear and realized she was getting close and freaked out, she says she stomped on the "brake" with both feet but she hit the gas and the brake, the gas won and she hit my spare tire hard. It bent my back door and took a chunk out of the spare wheel, it also bent the metal above the bumper a little bit. I havent had a chance to take it to the body shop yet to get an estimate but im just curious if anyone else has had to replace the back door ? It doesnt seem like thats going to be cheap and that metal above the bumper, is that structural or something they can cut out and replace ? Ill try to put up pics later

Oh by the way the TreadWright Guard Dogs do great in the snow, had them aired down to 10psi and didnt really have any problems.
I will trade my back door for your hood and front bumper LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Hope she has insurance. Good luck with the repairs. Hope the hinges and area around the door are OK.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hope she has insurance. Good luck with the repairs. Hope the hinges and area around the door are OK.
She had insurance so thats not a problem, and so far it looks like the hinges and the rest of the door jam is ok except for the spot on the bottom above the bumper, ill pull up the plastic tomorrow to see if it bulged up the floor, it looks like it might have a little.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sorry to hear of your accident.:( As to "structural" replacement and door damage fixes only the body shop will only be able to tell you what can be done after they inspect it. My FJ was hit by a suicidal deer earlier this year, (front) 3,000 in damage but insurance paid for all after I paid the deductible....good luck with the repairs.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I got rear ended by a F150 going bout 15/20 mph. His front was smashed up, i had only the non toe hitch cover ripped off, my spare tire took the damage. So my bracket looks like yours. No under frame damage , only when I took the spare off I noticed minor dents to the bottom of the door.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had my back door replaced. It was about $6000 for all the parts and work but the other driver's insurance covered it. It took about 2 weeks to get the parts in and do the work. My whole bumper was mangled and my door was bulged in and didn't close or open. It looks perfect but still pops and squeaks randomly 2 years later :(

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
The tire mount look like it slightly buckled the rear door? Does the door still function
and is still air/rain tight? Good luck.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yup, steel meets plastic and rubber, doesn't look terribly bad, awesome snow you got there, let us know how the repairs go!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
that sucks. the pics don't really look that bad. i'm sure the entire door will need to be replaced. sorry it happend, but at least her insurance will cover it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just pulled up the plastic door jam area and the damage goes into the cargo area, i tried to take pictures but the dents don't really show with the white. Im not going to lie I hope they find out my bumper is messed up too ill just get the Metal Tech version. Ill let you know tomorrow what the estimate comes out to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts