Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just updating everyone. I was heading home at 5:50 pm on Rt 66 West in Virginia (just got off 495 if anyone knows the area). It was heavy rush hour that was stop and go and nothing over 30 mph. I decided to stay in the far right lane because I didn't want to deal with people jockeying for position. The traffic came to a stop and I help a 1 car length distance from the suv in front of me when I saw in the rear view a big green semi closing in fast. Mind you, this happened in a split second, so I didn't have time to react or even think because the next thing I know I hear crunching, and loss of vision (since I was hit hard). I open my eyes wondering what happened and the first thing I see is the interior light as you guys know is more to the center rear of the fj. My seat had broken free and laid back. I had my back seat folded down, so I didn't lay all the way out. My airbag didn't deploy, so I thought it wasn't too bad. After a physical check of myself (checking that all digits moved). I stepped out and noted that the suv in front was pretty smashed up and she hit a car in front of her.
So, after all that and when the state trooper arrived he found out that the semi had a full load of fuel, the guy was doing estimated 30-40 when he hit us at a dead stop, and he was either sleeping or testing because he never hit the brakes. He hit me so hard the mirrors (driver and passenger) popped out and my visors popped out of the holders and shifted forward. It was enough to cover the 1 car length I had in front and smash the car. All in all, the FJ (I call her FeliJa, lol) is a tough vehicle. And most importantly, it saved me because the trooper also said if I was in anything smaller they would be cutting me out. Picture coming in a sec.

Attachments

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I got notice last night that they think it's totaled because of frame damage underneath. I did see that the hitch was shifted. One more pic to come. The people in front were like....how come your truck doesn't look worse? lol I will have to see if I can buy it back if it gets totaled. I'll make it a weekend rig.

Attachments

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup. I'm proud to say I disabled a semi truck. His radiator blew and it looked like 50 gallons of anti freeze spilled out. I guess having the skid plates reinforced the rest of the frame and the suspension probably took some energy. But I was really surprised about how hard the vehicle in front got it.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you're ok, and continue to be ok. Getting hit from behind can have lingering effects (knock on wood).

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,692 Posts
The FJ never ceases to amaze me when I see pics posted like this. I hope you’re alright, time will tell.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You guys are all making me worry about lingering issues. lol. I was taken by ambulance to the hospital to get checked out. Had stiffening neck, lower back spasms, and left knee was sore. Everything checked out good and got back to work 5 days later. But, I did get everything documented. I just want my fJ back as it was and I don't think that will happen. I just received more photos from the body shop and the back bumper frame is wrinkled. Eh, I guess the rust was going to get me eventually anyway!

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I know that section of road. Glad you're OK. Not too many cars would survive that. I wonder the airbag sensors uses an accelerometer to deploy on impact or a physical contact.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Dude, that was a heck of a smack. Glad to hear you are ok. You know, so far.... HA!

·
Admin
6,898 Posts
Glad you made it out alright and nobody else was badly hurt too!

:cheers:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thanks for sharing; glad that you're uninjured.
Condolences on your FJ, but also Dayum! it gave better than it took.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would have disabled the truck driver if he had that cellphone in his hand. After I pulled him out of the truck through the wind wing to have the "discussion".

But that's just me.
So glad you are ok...as can be. . Don't sign off on ANYTHING re: medical. Problems can pop up months later after a rear end-er . Trust me, I know.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
I'm so happy that you are okay! It really hurts to see a fellow 2010 TT FJ out of commission like that though! So is it official that it's totaled? You had such a tastefully modded FJ too! I may have seen you out on the streets once or twice in mine (live in Arlington). Please keep us updated!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Holey smokes I’m new to the forum ... but blessings. Glad you came out of this accident unscathed for the most part. Hopefully everything works out in your favor

1 - 20 of 37 Posts