Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey getting my rear expedition one bumper into place and it is not fitting close to the vehicle. Seems 2 areas are causing this. I am assuming it is supposed to be tight fitting.

First area looks to be the stock part of the bumper that you leave on to keep the side molding. The two points that stick out the furthest seem to be preventing it from going into position. This is an easy enough fix, just chop them off. Just want to make sure I am not missing something...

Second area is by the hitch 2 bolts on either side of the hitch receiver seem to be hitting the bumper.

IMG_1387 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8290/7717370716_4d8d6b5537_b.jpg

Pics of the gap I am looking at.

Thanks for any and all info.

JG

·
Registered
470 Posts
Looks just like mine. You do not want it tight against the body. The body is rubber mounted and moves around. The bumper is fixed to the frame. Without a gap the bumper would beat the crap out of the body.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Nope it fits like that. Looks perfect

·
Premium Member
17,642 Posts
I've seen two now that fit like that with the gap around the edges. Other bumpers that I have seen which are much tighter have no issues with wear or beating the body up. While the chassis is rubber mounted its not moving a tremendous amount and what it is moving against are plastic pieces that will deform to any loads. Not like you are scraping off paint or really beating on the body there.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I've seen two now that fit like that with the gap around the edges. Other bumpers that I have seen which are much tighter have no issues with wear or beating the body up. While the chassis is rubber mounted its not moving a tremendous amount and what it is moving against are plastic pieces that will deform to any loads. Not like you are scraping off paint or really beating on the body there.
Definitely second this. I made my own rear bumper and have it within 1/4 of the body on some spots.... I've also flexed my rig out many times on very rocky trails and have absolutely no places that it has touched. I personally think the gap makes it look cheap.... But to each their own :cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts