Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone has mounted one off of the spare tire holder while retaining the spare tire. I have an idea in mind just not sure how to make it a solid mount but still farely easy to remove for when I need my spare.
I was thinking of something along the lines of a "hitch" protruding from the center of the spare and a plug for the wires. My issue is it would want to wobble/vibrate when driving.
Thanks for any and all input!

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
wouldn't lights on the roof rack be more useful as work lights?
It would seem to me that a light at eye level would be pretty annoying while trying to set up camp, whereas shining from above would be ideal.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an aversion to roof mounted lights. Drilling holes in the roof panel never seems like a good idea to me. I know lots of people do it with no issues but still seems wrong to me lol

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I second Hannibal, The brackets made by DBC are awesome set-up. Easy install. 2 BD lights make great back up lights that also help out if the person behind me "fails to dim" or wants to ride my ass.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I second Hannibal, The brackets made by DBC are awesome set-up. Easy install. 2 BD lights make great back up lights that also help out if the person behind me "fails to dim" or wants to ride my ass.
Are there detailed install instructions?

I'm wanting better back up lights on my truck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have an aversion to roof mounted lights. Drilling holes in the roof panel never seems like a good idea to me. I know lots of people do it with no issues but still seems wrong to me lol
Use a wiring loom to the outer A pillar and down the cover or to the rear door then to the switch/relay/fuse panel. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Curious if anyone has mounted one off of the spare tire holder while retaining the spare tire. I have an idea in mind just not sure how to make it a solid mount but still farely easy to remove for when I need my spare.
I was thinking of something along the lines of a "hitch" protruding from the center of the spare and a plug for the wires. My issue is it would want to wobble/vibrate when driving.
Thanks for any and all input!

·
Registered
92 Posts
i installed some small led lights underneath the rear bumper several years ago. here's the post on what i did:

if you do extreme off-roading, than this won't be the best option as they may possibly scrape or get crushed. i like how you can place colored lenses over these lights if desired. i bought a pair of red lenses to pop on which could be helpful if you get caught in a thick fog-storm. you can then turn them on to work as a "rear-fog-light" to help people behind see you. just remember to turn them off when not needed any longer.

i also installed the us off-road spare tire camera cover. i'm not using the attachment, but it does come with a t-bar mount that you can attach it to for things like rear lighting, or go-pro, etc. (sample is from their website)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Are there detailed install instructions?

I'm wanting better back up lights on my truck.
As far as the brackets, super simple. Remove the spare,spare carrier, clean, wax , install brackets, put the carrier and spare back on.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts