Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the rear gate on my rig has some play in the hinge it seems, there is wear that is to be expected after 167k miles and so I flipped the male portion. Did not alleviate clunk over rough road.

Next I checked this piece.

There is also wear on the plastic insert. I can not for the life of me locate a part # for this, I have searched and am either blind or stupid and am avoiding going to dealer for fear of bad decisions buying new car.

I don’t think my tires are too much for the rear gate as they’re still stock sized Nitto’s, so should be fine. I’ve done all the adjusting I can, the only thing that alleviated the issue was stuffing a paper towel around the plastic insert pictured above. So I figure I will replace that and see what I see. Any help with part number would be appreciated, I haven’t found a decent search platform for parts yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks correct! But strange that mine is a two piece unit, which lead me to believe the insert is replaceable, while that part # image is a single piece, but same shape

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Out of curiosity, how does the other side look? Some of our FJs are known to break at the seam on the hinge side. Is yours okay and intact?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nothing broken, just worn. The smallest amount of vertical movement will allow the gate to “bounce” and the sound is not something I can get used to. Ordered the part suggested and will see if that cures it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Could be friction between the surfaces. I had an annoying squeak and some Tri-flow did the trick for me.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haven’t received new receiver yet, but it’s definitely a loose fit clunk, the squeak is secondary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts