Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I just got my 07 FJ last week(woohoo!!) and the previous owner apparently kept the rear seats folded down all the time with headrests still attached to the seats. Now the headrests have permanent dents all over where they were left down all the time. I had hoped leaving the seats up a week would let the headrests pop back out to original shape. Time has helped a little but the dents are still pretty big and my wife commented how they looked disfigured.

Any tips or suggestions on getting these suckers to expand back to original shape?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
You may want to try heat and maybe hang them upside down and let gravity do the work. I didn't have this problem, but just throwing out a suggestion.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think it is supposed to be warmer this weekend than it has been so far since I've had the FJ. I'm going to try to let the interior heat up pretty warm and hope that helps.

I hadn't thought of hanging them upside down may try that in the heat of the interior. Since it should be hot this weekend, I may also try some conditioner on them to see if that softens/swell the material then try to work the dents out by hand while warm.

Thanks for the assist.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Subscribed.

I have a similar problem.

I have been storing my headrests in the space near the floor and the rear door, underneath the seats.

I pulled them out the other day, and they are deformed.

Edited to add:

The magic potion might be HEAT & HUMIDITY.

It is currently 84 degrees with 69% Relative Humidity in my neck of the woods.

I had been storing my middle headrest inside the house.

Took it outside just now. Comparing the other two to it, they have recovered very nicely in the past couple of days.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice! Thanks for sharing your results. It is supposed to be mid 80s and rainy the next 3 days here. Hopefully similar conditions to what you've had. I took my headrests off and sat them in the front seat today to hopefully get some extra sun if possible.

Just the heat of the cab didn't do much this weekend so i'm hoping the humidity will help out.

I'll report back in a day or two.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay so its been a week and the headrests have improved a little. Not a ton, but enough to notice. It has been a humid and hot week off and on. I'm hoping that as time goes on, with heat and humidity levels higher, that I will continue to see improvement. Time may be the great healer after all.

I will update again if they magically pop back in shape one day.

Thanks to those who chimed in with suggestions.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Use hair dryer to heat it up and maybe massage it a little as it hangs.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Create your own humidity. Take them in the bathroom when you take a shower. Not in the shower itself but enough to get damp. Also you could just use a squeeze bottle with water and spritz them and leave them in the sun.

Swing by an auto upholstery shop, lot's of times advice is free. They use handheld steamers to shape and mold new leather/pleather/vinyl seat covers.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Use hair dryer to heat it up and maybe massage it a little as it hangs.

Strangely enough this brought back a bad memory of the locker room at Gold's Gym. Anyone have a German Sheppard they could lend me 'til my eyesight comes back?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Strangely enough this brought back a bad memory of the locker room at Gold's Gym. Anyone have a German Sheppard they could lend me 'til my eyesight comes back?
:rofl::bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts