Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a D ring for the rear hitch. Someone mentioned also getting a lock to prevent theft. Did a search but can't seem to find one.
Or, is it just some kind of cable type lock?
Looking for some help.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Masterlock (as posted above)@ Walmart and many auto stores-if not, a marine store (the boat place-not enlistment place)

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I have a bling Orange County Choppers cover over the hitch plug. Thinking about putting a D-ring on there, not for bling, not for recovery (well, yes, sometimes). Would like to have something back there for the morons that park by bumping and grinding. Or a White Knight Lighting system.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Yep, good to leave on during the winter. Never know when you might want to help a brother out and get him out of the ditch...and it's not like there is a great place to store it inside. Also, it is a deterent for those rear end contacts!

Spoken like someone from the South (Landrover...move North, experience life!):

In all honesty, just you'll only need the D ring when stuck, no real reason to leave it on while on the road so a $5.00 hitch pin with an R clip is all you need. That is unless you're posin';)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
warn makes one. I have used it to help people out more than once. I rattlecanned it and the lockpin black

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
warn makes one. I have used it to help people out more than once. I rattlecanned it and the lockpin black
I got the one by WARN for 29 bucks. Purchased at my local off-road store But any recovery D ring clevis should do. I also got the master lock set in stainless. You can find these at any advanced auto / autozone / home depot / lowes....you name it.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
I have the Warn one, and have painted the end that goes into the receiver a few times black.

Using a locking hitch pin I have had for 15 years, it is similar to the one at the top of this thread.

My D ring stay on 24/7, it and the shackle receiver give a little added protected back aft, and the D ring will leave a nice lasting impression on someones front bumper/hood/radiator if they decide to rear end me.

The ring itself I do not lock it to the shank.
Never had one ripped off since I ran one on the 4Runner to for many a year prior to the FJ.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
One thing not mentioned yet. Be careful when using the stock Toyota hitch for recovery. It is not made for jerking a tug strap. You will end up bending your rear support. I know of a fellow FJ owner that about ripped his hitch completely off……

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Maybe some operator error if that happened...

BTW, I ran all over town trying to find good d-rings, recovery strap and locking pin before I ordered off of Amazon.

One thing not mentioned yet. Be careful when using the stock Toyota hitch for recovery. It is not made for jerking a tug strap. You will end up bending your rear support. I know of a fellow FJ owner that about ripped his hitch completely off……

·
Registered
504 Posts
Maybe some operator error if that happened...

BTW, I ran all over town trying to find good d-rings, recovery strap and locking pin before I ordered off of Amazon.
I got the one from winchline.com. The issue with the receiver is that it is rated at 5000lbs. The FJ stuck in the mud or yanked out hard will exceed that limit quick. I recommend using the mounts on the frame if able. This is also an issue with the receiver mounted winches. People have a 10,000lbs winch on a 5000lbs tow bar.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts